The World At War on TV

Top Series, especially the interviews with assorted generals, being a very lucky boy I know this bird who works at the History Channel, who 'acquired' me the DVD special edition boxset from their competition prizes, with the extra episodes and extended interviews, worth checking out...

I have the whole set on video tape

I hope that one day they do a digital remaster, and perhaps expand & update with material that has come to light since 1973. I guess they'd have to find a voice double for Laurence Olivier....

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Last year I managed to catch the entire series on Sky+ (don't you hate finding something like this and seeing "Episode 5 ..." which I did last week?)

4(T) said:
I hope that one day they do a digital remaster, and perhaps expand & update with material that has come to light since 1973. I guess they'd have to find a voice double for Laurence Olivier....
Blimey I don't believe it...where have you all been...obviously 'life on Mars'..The Daily Hate did a free giveaway last year...complete series...I also collected the 1st World War one.....

BlueDanubeWalt said:
4(T) said:
Blimey I don't believe it...where have you all been...obviously 'life on Mars'..The Daily Hate did a free giveaway last year...complete series...I also collected the 1st World War one.....
But was it remasterd cleaned up and come with extras i think not.
I also have the DVD box set but i payed a hell of a lot more than £35 for it. I remember going to get it especially from HMV when it first came out. As for the idea of a so to speak Directors Cut with extras what a bloody great idea but who would do the voice over as i dont think Sir Lawrence could be beaten.

Back in the 60s there were a cople of other great WW2 series "The Valiant Years" was one ,and another was based on Chester Willmots book " The Strugle for Europe" I think. It would be good I these superb old shows could be shown again

'Tell me Winston, would you have any objection to a Lord sitting in the Commons?'. Churchill turned away and looked over Horse Guards. He knew it was a trap, he said nothing.

The next day, with great despair, we heard the King had sent for Churchill.

JoseyWales said:
The Unions wanted the first day of May as a national holiday. Hitler granted it, and on the 2nd day of May he disbanded the Unions.

Classic.
F**k!Lets hope Broon does'nt think of that one.... :twisted:

JoseyWales said:
'Tell me Winston, would you have any objection to a Lord sitting in the Commons?'. Churchill turned away and looked over Horse Guards. He knew it was a trap, he said nothing.

Genuine question. Can you explain the significance of that Josey?

sparky8 said:
JoseyWales said:

If I may chip-in :oops: . Halifax was the favourite among the Conservatives and not objected to (even 'preferred') by Labour whom Chamberlain had sounded out on forming a coalition - the Labour Exec actually said a coalition was not out of the question, but not with Chamberlain. Halifax being a Lord is no major issue here, his Lordship really just providing one way of couching the question to Churchill. The between the lines question to Churchill was, 'if Halifax becomes PM, will you serve him without hindrance?'. If Churchill agrees there's no problem with a Lord becoming PM, then he is saying that he will serve him faithfully. If he says no, then yes, you could say he's invoking some constitutional dispute, but the real point being he's stating he would not support Halifax, whatever position Halifax may give him.

Despite all the serious errors Churchill made over Norway - which was the prime factor that precipitated this crisis - Halifax had decided he did not want to be our War Leader and further believed if he were, his position would be disastrous with Churchill 'at his back' rather than at his side. In his diary, Halifax states he told others he would become; "a more of less honorary PM living in a kind of twilight just outside the things that really matter".

No.9

sparky8 said:
JoseyWales said:

Yep,

It was in part two of a World at War.