The World At War on TV

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by spike7451, Jan 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Saturday 31/01/09, at 1515Hrs on BBC2, They are showing 'The World At War'.
  2. Top Series, especially the interviews with assorted generals, being a very lucky boy I know this bird who works at the History Channel, who 'acquired' me the DVD special edition boxset from their competition prizes, with the extra episodes and extended interviews, worth checking out...
  3. Seconded. It's really worth getting hold of the box set (cost me about 35 quid).
  4. I have the whole set on video tape
  5. I hope that one day they do a digital remaster, and perhaps expand & update with material that has come to light since 1973. I guess they'd have to find a voice double for Laurence Olivier....
  6. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Last year I managed to catch the entire series on Sky+ (don't you hate finding something like this and seeing "Episode 5 ..." which I did last week?)
  7. I had forgotten what an outstanding series this was.
  8. Blimey I don't believe it...where have you all been...obviously 'life on Mars'..The Daily Hate did a free giveaway last year...complete series...I also collected the 1st World War one.....
  9. The Unions wanted the first day of May as a national holiday. Hitler granted it, and on the 2nd day of May he disbanded the Unions.

10. Welcome to the I.F.C.
  11. But was it remasterd cleaned up and come with extras i think not.
    I also have the DVD box set but i payed a hell of a lot more than £35 for it. I remember going to get it especially from HMV when it first came out. As for the idea of a so to speak Directors Cut with extras what a bloody great idea but who would do the voice over as i dont think Sir Lawrence could be beaten.
  12. Back in the 60s there were a cople of other great WW2 series "The Valiant Years" was one ,and another was based on Chester Willmots book " The Strugle for Europe" I think. It would be good I these superb old shows could be shown again
  13. Aficionados of this series might also appreciate 'Victory at Sea' which is available, three parts to each episode, on YouTube. Start here.
  14. 'Tell me Winston, would you have any objection to a Lord sitting in the Commons?'. Churchill turned away and looked over Horse Guards. He knew it was a trap, he said nothing.

The next day, with great despair, we heard the King had sent for Churchill.
  15. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

F**k!Lets hope Broon does'nt think of that one.... :twisted: