The World At War on dvd

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by maguire, Jan 2, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

the remastered edition - currently being knocked out brand new on fleabay for £13 posted by Zavvi - for some reason it wont let me post the link, but if you either go the Zavvi storefront on ebay or search for 'world at war' it's there.
  2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

3. Thanks for that info and oldbaldy supplying a working link ... just ordered a set at what looks like a bargain price with a £66 saving .
  4. Me too, but the price mysteriously jumped up to a shocking £14.95 mid-purchase.
  5. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

thank you - whenever I posted the ebay link direct from the sales page and tried it meself it was coming up with 'this item is not found.' and it's up to £15.05 on buy it now there - probably due to you lot ordering one, if they use the same pricing software as Amazon and the like.
  6. Is it any different from the 2010 edition i purchase for £25 a couple of years ago ?

There is a complete disc full of rather brutal Far East combat footage. A series worth watching as the interviewees were there.
  7. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

8. Is this the one where they just cropped the picture to make it widescreen? I'm sure I recall something about either this series or the similar series The Great War being quite ruined by the 'remastering' process.

9. Well that looks like what I ordered ... did a quick check on " Customer Reviews " and all were satisfied ... no one mentioned dissatifaction because of screen clipping of the original version .... have you watched any of the discs yet ?
  10. From here...
    I guess it'll be a matter of opinion on whether they did a good job or 'just cropped the picture'.
    Either way, at £15, I'll take the risk and let you know.
  11. Not yet , it was a Christmas present for the auld fart and I'm forbidden from watching it before he does . I have the book as well so it'll be interesting to see how they match up ( if I can get the book back off my Dad )
  12. Thanks for the response anyway .... and for <£15 it will have to be an appalling transfer for me to be unhappy ... although reading the above post by stickybomb the work was done " sensitively " so hopefully there will not be a , noticeable , problem .
  13. DVD's received and played the first two ... excellent value ... if there has been any cropping it is not really noticeable ... to me anyway .

Sent from my GT-S5830i using ARRSE mobile app
  14. Discs arrived on Friday. I've only had a chance to watch the 'about' documentary describing the remastering (from which the excerpt I posted seems to have been lifted) in which Freemantle Media were pretty open about the process.

Freemantle took the view that contemporary action footage tended to include a lot of sky or ground which was largely redundant so the cropping decisions were, in the main, no-brainers. That said, each scene has been carefully recomposed for widescreen. They showed the bouncing bomb test footage to demonstrate how they dynamically tracked the action around the frame (and yes, they did go back to the original footage - its not just a tortured version of the production print). The result was no more or less random than the original footage which was shot 'from the hip'. You could argue that the scene was deliberately chosen for its chaos but in the final reckoning Jeremy Isaacs gives the project an enthusiastic thumbs up...and he produced the original.

The scenes which presented the most problems were the interviews shot in the 70s; they were tightly composed and therefore left little room for manoeuvre. In order to include the titles which appear periodically, a lot of the talking heads don't show as much forehead as they did in the original series, so if you're a craniometerist then, yes, the series may well be irretrievably blighted for you.