Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

"The Woman from NRW, she say No"

Don't expect the charities to be amenable or even ethical, most of their interest lies in getting their wages paid, charitable works come after that. Its bugger all to do with how they view game shooting and all to do with them having to make some effort, they don't like to do that.
Yet the yanks manage it easily

Only if you tell coke can. My planting a cover crop for the birds that provides feed for the deer must be making his head explode!
Big thing here is we are starting to harvest field corn (for the next month at least) and with the combines comes a lots of spillage, so deer aren’t exactly scarce. As long as I get my freezer full, coke can is more than welcome to come watch. Guess he’d have a stroke if he knew some farmers burn the corn stubble and drive the deer out of the fields......

I have never shot and killed an animal (except a dog in Afghan and that was only because it was in my GPMG beating zone!) but I've always felt I should try it and eat the end result.

No idea where to start (no guns for one!) or, as I'm now reading, how to do it..... Ethically?

Any pointers?
Having been involved in shoots and farming I can say the following...

Get a shotgun and start shooting game, pigeon, wildfowl , rabbits etc , make sure you eat what you shoot and you will be on a much higher moral ground than any of those queuing to buy factory farmed edit supermarket halal meat.

Supermarket meat eaters who knock pheasant shooting , deer stalking etc are ill educated hypercritical twats who dont have a leg to stand on.

Veggie`s on the other hand generally practice what they preach and I`m always happy to debate with them. (not because they are usually young hippy chics )

Last edited:
In a small syndicate like ours we let the beaters take a brace each, then the guns (who have paid for the sport) and finally I get to divvy up whats left around the estate. Often there is nothing left, shooting 20 birds a day with 15 guns and ten beaters means some go without. Many of the beaters take them for friends, its not that they dont want them themselves its that their own freezers like mine are full. I still have geese in there from the summer crop cull of Canada geese. Those aren't being given away to anyone!
Lots of shoots didn't used to give birds away, then came the glut and the Eu regs shut down little game dealers everywhere meaning bags of less than 200 weren't economical to collect. Shoots started to prep oven ready ones for guns to take which usually means you aren't getting the birds you shoot. The guns aren't there to fill the freezer on the big shoots they re usually there for the company and sport. No different to them than watching boxing or horse racing!
The attitude slowly changed with the introduction of take home oven readies but frankly shoots can give game to charities if only the charities were amenable. They are in Canada and the USA but here its seen as dirty. Public urban led tastes mean that countryfolk take home and eat. The others can carry on as long as it keeps estates afloat and the industry alive. They have to follow a code of conduct to advertise on certain means.
But it doesn't affect Ravers and I and frankly we dont care if you dont like it!

I think you may have grasped the wrong end of the stick, as I'm not referring to a sporting syndicate or small shoot, rather one that's more of a "corporate entertainment" type.
I can't see the thinking behind shooting birds they have no desire to eat, or interest in what happens to them.

Yet the yanks manage it easily

Actually ugly that isn't quite true mate. A lot of charities over here won't take game because it hasn't been USDA certified as fit for human consumption. Some such the Sally Bash will take game but a lot of them won't touch it.

I'm guessing it may be down to litigation and fear of being sued.

Actually ugly that isn't quite true mate. A lot of charities over here won't take game because it hasn't been USDA certified as fit for human consumption. Some such the Sally Bash will take game but a lot of them won't touch it.

I'm guessing it may be down to litigation and fear of being sued.
Check the links above!

I think you may have grasped the wrong end of the stick, as I'm not referring to a sporting syndicate or small shoot, rather one that's more of a "corporate entertainment" type.
I can't see the thinking behind shooting birds they have no desire to eat, or interest in what happens to them.
Because its a sport. They wouldn't be able to eat 500 birds between twenty guns. Its polite to take a brace, tip the keeper and pay your bill. Its a sport where they participate unlike horse racing or boxing which nowadays appear to be a magnet for drunken chavs anyway!
The birds now have to be processed to comply with the voluntary registration for these commercial shoots. The onus is on the shoot owners to register. Thankfully something we will never need to do as we dont charge by the day and take all of our own game.
Its a sport, why is it any more distasteful than driving to the Le Mans 24hr or flying to the Singapore F1 or going go karting?
I'll tell you why, petty jealousy. This becomes class hatred and is really rather poor.

Because its a sport. They wouldn't be able to eat 500 birds between twenty guns. Its polite to take a brace, tip the keeper and pay your bill. Its a sport where they participate unlike horse racing or boxing which nowadays appear to be a magnet for drunken chavs anyway!
The birds now have to be processed to comply with the voluntary registration for these commercial shoots. The onus is on the shoot owners to register. Thankfully something we will never need to do as we dont charge by the day and take all of our own game.
Its a sport, why is it any more distasteful than driving to the Le Mans 24hr or flying to the Singapore F1 or going go karting?
I'll tell you why, petty jealousy. This becomes class hatred and is really rather poor.
It is very much class hatred , many years ago I used to assist with the removal of Anti,s from private property, they were all scruffy benefit claiming out of work gob shites in illegal cars , I never came across one who was smartly dressed, well educated or driven a decent motor .

Eating what we shoot is defensible and ethical.
Dumping it is not.

Politics determine what is defensible or not. For SJWs etc. taking a fully conscious animal and slitting it's throat open so that it bleeds to death is perfectly ethical, this while other creatures take their turn in the queue quite aware that something nasty is happening to their kind and fearing for themselves no doubt.

No problem there at all, no Sireee, all 100% ethical.

Politics determine what is defensible or not. For SJWs etc. taking a fully conscious animal and slitting it's throat open so that it bleeds to death is perfectly ethical, this while other creatures take their turn in the queue quite aware that something nasty is happening to their kind and fearing for themselves no doubt.

No problem there at all, no Sireee, all 100% ethical.

...added to say that the OP could always advise the NRW lady that as you pull the trigger you always say a blessing to Allah, she might just then see her way clear....

...added to say that the OP could always advise the NRW lady that as you pull the trigger you always say a blessing to Allah, she might just then see her way clear....
Or form an Islamic pheasant syndicate, that will leave torn over asking if the birds or the guns are Islamic and how can they ask without being some sort of "ist"