"The Woman from NRW, she say No"

Is growing deer plots unethical?
Depends on how many deer you harvest to be honest. If you shoot one or two a year and use the plot to feed the rest during the lean times I would say no. If you just use it to bait them and shoot whatever walks into it during the season so you can rack up the body county it is a bit frowned upon.....

Depends on how many deer you harvest to be honest. If you shoot one or two a year and use the plot to feed the rest during the lean times I would say no. If you just use it to bait them and shoot whatever walks into it during the season so you can rack up the body county it is a bit frowned upon.....
Rack’n em up is pretty standard around here, better than getting a buck through your windshield at 5am....

Rack’n em up is pretty standard around here, better than getting a buck through your windshield at 5am....
Well if you have a pest deer license then you can legally go to town. In some places the deer population needs a culling in order to preserve sustainable numbers and not have a mass die off which throws the system out of wack for a few years.

Well if you have a pest deer license then you can legally go to town. In some places the deer population needs a culling in order to preserve sustainable numbers and not have a mass die off which throws the system out of wack for a few years.
I've never understood how States' wildlife departments let that happen: If numbers are rising too far, then drop the price of an out of state tag to something more reasonable & the problem will go away whilst also increasing revenue.

I've never understood how States' wildlife departments let that happen: If numbers are rising too far, then drop the price of an out of state tag to something more reasonable & the problem will go away whilst also increasing revenue.
Sometimes it can't be helped, weather being the best example. The tag issue can be pretty touchy, depending on what type of animal is to be potentially harvested and how many in state residents were denied tags. Here is an article about that.

https://trib.com/lifestyles/recreat...cle_ced76e05-02c7-58c9-8165-5b0c297c7d4b.html

I have no knowledge of shoots that trash the bag. It has been a few years since I was on a big commercial shoot but when I was the bag went to the game dealer.
If there are shoots burying or burning the bag, name and shame them, report them to BASC please it is not defensible and will destroy shooting.
Like Ugly and others on here I am part of a small DIY syndicate, bag average 50 birds and every bird shot taken home by guns and beaters.
I either skin the birds and wrap them in bacon or take the breasts out and parcel them with bacon and dried apricot. On Monday morning at work I have a queue of new best friends all keen on taking prepared pheasant home for their tea.
Eating what we shoot is defensible and ethical.
Dumping it is not.
It's very tricky to get involved in naming and shaming, particularly if the guilty are neighbours, landlords or the like.
The people I quite often hear talking about finding piles of dumped pheasants and, in a couple of cases ducks, are foxhunters. Probably because a big pile of rotting carcasses is likely to get the attention of hounds and they also tend to draw through even the most out of the way coverts.
The hunts obviously aren't going to make a fuss about it because they are dependent on the goodwill of landowners and 'keepers (quite a lot of whom are complete arrses on the bigger shoots). The irony of BASC's dirty deal with NuLab to allow terrier work to protect gamebirds but not livestock from is not lost on them though.

It does generally seem to be the larger or more commercial shoots that are the worst offenders though, as Ugly says the small syndicates don't tend to waste much (I know a couple of people who probably have pheasant or duck at least once a fortnight for the whole year) .

I think your confusing the lefty propoganda over the expensive driven shooting and claims of bag dumping with those of us who manage inexpensive sporting shoots where everything is eaten. Perhaps if you think its slaughter you would like to have a go and show how easy this slaughter is?
Cheaply killing much better:mrgreen: you’ll be telling us the spares go to feed the poor children of the village

Last edited:
None of you have read what I wrote. I said you are confusing those of us and we are the vast majority of game shooters who actually manage our land for wild game, encourage and feed wildlife and shoot a small proportion of the birds we rear and release, with the rich cnuts ruining the sport. I have never defended bag dumping. Our shoot has never sold game, we eat it all ourselves
Is it your Land you are managing? Or some rich cnuts?

Shooters are just killing animals for sport and social aspects. Enjoyment. accept it

If you are a gamekeeper or pie maker you are just a vassal of the rich cnuts

It’s a class issue for a reason. If I wander round the countryside some **** will eventually turn up in a 4x4 to tell me to get off their (their rich **** bosses) private property

Game shooting/hunting is a triple threat to any standard lefty

Shooters are just killing animals for sport and social aspects. Enjoyment. accept it

It’s a class issue for a reason. If I wander round the countryside some **** will eventually turn up in a 4x4 to tell me to get off their (their rich **** bosses) private property

Me thinks you would manage to get run off public land, which takes talent btw.

Just from reading that post I can tell you are a Corbyn supporter.
You are, aren't you.

The meat from the animals goes to the villages of those who work for the PH too, thus removing the need to go out & kill animals themselves, which is invariably more wasteful & damaging.
Carbon foorprint is smaller too.
Average hunting safari is 2 weeks in duration, 1-2 clients fly in/out, Long way from airstrip, single figure sets of drives morning and evening. Infrastructure is basic as "its 'untin, innit?", but charges are top dollar & game licences on top

Average photo safari is 2-3 days, lots of flights in/out and evening entertainment, gnerators going the whole time, dance troups etc competing with sometimes hundreds of other tourists in minbuses hounding lions shagging, rhinos sh1tting, etc. The wildlife is accustomed to human/vehicle activity

The best thing about visiting a hunting concession (i got to accompany a client once) is seeing most animals GTFing when they saw a vehicle, treating humans with the caution they merit - no disney trips there

Just from reading that post I can tell you are a Corbyn supporter.
You are, aren't you.
Flip that and ask yourself how many game shooters are likely to be contemporary labour supporters.
Then research UK rural poverty and ask why so many Turkeys vote for a Conservative Christmas

Baffling

Then your mate should donate them as its illegal to sell wild goose in England. I waste nothing, raised almost dirt poor I value every morsel! Bits I don't like get swapped or used for dog food. He wouldn't be a mate of mine!
I work with hime, he isn't a mate at all

Flip that and ask yourself how many game shooters are likely to be contemporary labour supporters.
Then research UK rural poverty and ask why so many Turkeys vote for a Conservative Christmas

Baffling
This class war thing is so 60s and 70s.
Look , the vast majority of this green and pleasant land is still countryside, believe it or not.
And much of that is put over to agriculture.
Most farmers work their arses off. That is farmers, not landowners.
And when the farmers drag their tired bodies into bed to grab a few hours before the alarm goes off at 0400hrs, tens of thousands of common men walk the land every night carrying guns. They are not poachers, they are protecting his chickens and pheasants from foxes, his crops from rabbits, dawn and dusk from deer.
A tiny amount of shooting is done by the city gents.

I have never shot and killed an animal (except a dog in Afghan and that was only because it was in my GPMG beating zone!) but I've always felt I should try it and eat the end result.

No idea where to start (no guns for one!) or, as I'm now reading, how to do it..... Ethically?

Any pointers?
That dog could have been a starter. Post 7.62 you wouldn't have to tenderise or hang.

Baffling
It will doubtless come as a surprise to you but voting Conservative isn't the cause of rural poverty.

ugly

LE
using a line of beaters waving flags and making noise to scare the birds and hurd them towards another line of people with shotguns - not ethical, and not sporting.
Your own view. I dont respect it, I dont agree with it. I do however believe you are allowed your view regardless of how daft or silly it may seem. Game shooting has evolved massively from walked up flushing to driven. Most of the game shoots in the UK by participation numbers not by bag numbers or cost are still a mix of walk and stand and walking guns are allowed to take back birds.
it is sporting. I deer stalk but not for sport for managing the amount on the land and the damage they do. Frankly I could espouse any number of daft views about folk buying guided deer stalking or heaven forbid high seat stalking over feed areas.
However I am not narrow minded or bigoted and I understand that using some folks desire to partake in sports can be a useful aid to population management.
Are you saying that the three old guns in my syndicate who cant walk far must give up because you think its unethical or unsporting?
If you do the next step is banning access for less abled and disabled sports enjoyers, after all its unethical in your book. My building a special swivel seat to sit the old Colonel on the front of the quad so he can enjoy the benefits of a lifetime of land management and service to his country (which is why he can no longer walk) is obviously unethical and unsporting!
You are so far up your own arse over this that you cant even see the truth, sport isn't just for able bodied or wealthy people. You are one step away from a communist viewpoint the sort that Tony Banks espoused over fox hunting and you cant see it!
I pity you!

ugly

LE
Is growing deer plots unethical?
Only if you tell coke can. My planting a cover crop for the birds that provides feed for the deer must be making his head explode!