"The Woman from NRW, she say No"

Natural Resources Wales say they won't overturn the decision to not renew Pheasant Shooting leases on Welsh Government Woodland Estates

Attachments

The phrase that springs out of that mumbo-jumbo to me is "ethical context". Can you ask them expand on what their ethical concerns actually are? That will get them in a tizz maybe as there are probably few ethical concerns that could be applied to grouse shooting that would not also apply to other forms of harvesting meat, but they will not be likely to want to get ethical about them is my guess.

Expose them for being hypocrites, it might not grouse shooting back again but at least you can make them look like a bunch of t***s.

ok, parapet time.

i feel very uncomfortable about driven shooting - i simply see it having about as much 'sporting' content as shooting at dismounted infantry in line abreast with a machine gun.

i also disagree - massively - with the idea that its just a better dressed version of meat production: on a good proportion of the shoots that i see (Worcestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and into mid-Wales), only a tiny proportion of the meat goes into the food chain, i have seen in the last week trailerfulls of shot pheasant being buried.

deer stalking is both productive, sporting and about managing a species that has no natural predator in the UK - but driven game shooting is, to my eyes, none of those things.

if it was banned, i'd not shed a tear....

I thought from the title that this thread was about Nordrhein-Westfalen!

ok, parapet time.

i feel very uncomfortable about driven shooting - i simply see it having about as much 'sporting' content as shooting at dismounted infantry in line abreast with a machine gun.

i also disagree - massively - with the idea that its just a better dressed version of meat production: on a good proportion of the shoots that i see (Worcestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and into mid-Wales), only a tiny proportion of the meat goes into the food chain, i have seen in the last week trailerfulls of shot pheasant being buried.

deer stalking is both productive, sporting and about managing a species that has no natural predator in the UK - but driven game shooting is, to my eyes, none of those things.

I'll stick my head above the parapet as well.
Why not report it , photos and dates, to BASC.
It goes completely against what that organisation wants, but I bet some of the people involved will be insured through BASC.
Do it.

ugly

LE
ok, parapet time.

I think your confusing the lefty propoganda over the expensive driven shooting and claims of bag dumping with those of us who manage inexpensive sporting shoots where everything is eaten. Perhaps if you think its slaughter you would like to have a go and show how easy this slaughter is?

I think your confusing the lefty propoganda over the expensive driven shooting and claims of bag dumping with those of us who manage inexpensive sporting shoots where everything is eaten. Perhaps if you think its slaughter you would like to have a go and show how easy this slaughter is?
He said he had seen trailerfuls etc.
I know you wouldn't approve of that.

I think your confusing the lefty propaganda over the expensive driven shooting and claims of bag dumping with those of us who manage inexpensive sporting shoots where everything is eaten. Perhaps if you think its slaughter you would like to have a go and show how easy this slaughter is?
In that case you may want to look at what is said and the reputation that these shoots have. I have recently taken up Clay pigeon shooting and I have heard on a couple of occasions that the pheasant shoots no longer sell birds to butchers as the supermarkets have ruined the market for them regarding cost per bird. So now the birds are just burnt at the end of the days shoot.

If that is the case then there is no way that I would go on a shoot as it's no different to some twat killing a trophy animal in Africa IMO.
However if the birds end up in the food chain then that is totally different and something I would support.
As has been proven by the fox hunt ban and the 'March for Freedom' (which I attended) propaganda is very powerful and gets laws changed, sometimes negatively. If it is as you say a shoot for food then I shall have to educate myself further and not be swayed by bollox.

I've done a bit on both Pheasant and Grouse shoots (many moons ago) and in both cases the birds went in to the food chain. In the case of Grouse there was a London game dealer waiting at the head keepers house in a fridge van who paid god money for the privlidge

I obviously have no great moral objection to people shooting birds for sport and the dead birds going on to be eaten, but we all know that there are commercial Pheasant shoots that have little to no interest in putting the birds in to the food chain and it is purely sport shooting and I don't particularly like that.

Like it or not, there are a lot of commercial Pheasant shoots that aren't ethical in any way shape or form. They make you argument a lot harder to swallow for the general public.
If all game shoots were ethically managed then there would be an awful lot less for people to be "anti" about.

I'm with Cokecan I'm afraid, a lot (not all to be fair) of driven shoots are purely sport killing and nothing more

i have shot on driven shoots, i looked around me at the end of the day and decided not to do so again.

if you manage a shoot, perhaps you ought to learn to read? i have seen the dumping of Pheasants - by which i mean hundreds of birds, in a single go, with my own eyes, in the last week.

ugly

LE
None of you have read what I wrote. I said you are confusing those of us and we are the vast majority of game shooters who actually manage our land for wild game, encourage and feed wildlife and shoot a small proportion of the birds we rear and release, with the rich cnuts ruining the sport. I have never defended bag dumping. Our shoot has never sold game, we eat it all ourselves

ugly

LE
If that is the case then there is no way that I would go on a shoot as it's no different to some twat killing a trophy animal in Africa IMO
Most so called trophy hunting puts far more back into the locals pockets than anywildlfe charity ever does!

None of you have read what I wrote. I said you are confusing those of us and we are the vast majority of game shooters who actually manage our land for wild game, encourage and feed wildlife and shoot a small proportion of the birds we rear and release, with the rich cnuts ruining the sport. I have never defended bag dumping. Our shoot has never sold game, we eat it all ourselves

The problem with that Ugly is that Joe Public cannot see the difference.
I'm not arguing that you are wrong, I am arguing that you will be (and are) tarred with the same brush by the anti movement and the general public can't see how they are wrong.

I work with a bloke who shoots quite a lot, he told me only last week how he like to shoot goose but can't stand eating them. So he just shoots them for sport.
I don't like that.

ugly

LE
He said he had seen trailerfuls etc.
I know you wouldn't approve of that.
I don't, if we managed to fill the trailer every shoot then we would possibly sell. We don't, we have a daily planned limit of forty birds, if we meet that we call it a day. That would still leave four hundred pheasants towards next year!
We dont my best day was when I shot nine of the ten we took all day.
The vast majority of shoots are run like this. I have been on 500 bird days picking up! Every bird counted and all went to the dealer. The shoot traded its reputation on this every week!

i'd like to say its the rich cnuts who pay £1000 for a mornings 'sport' that are ruining it, but i'm afraid that from where i sit - i live in a rural area, i'm surrounded by small shoots and the the people who shoot on them are my neighbours - i can count on one hand the number of times i've seen/heard of people eat Pheasant. either some people are eating 4 a day every day of the year, or its not just the outrageously expensive shoots that are dumping them.

the local butchers all have Pheasant and Grouse hanging up in the window, but if you ask them they'll tell you they sell a tiny number every year - its about the look that brings in business. so if the people that shoot them don't eat them (apart from on your shoot), and the butchers don't sell them - who eats them?

Unless I have misread it, and have just double checked, he was only expressing his dislike of Shoots that trash the bag.
Utterly agree that the majority respect it and it goes into the food chain.

ugly

LE
The problem with that Ugly is that Joe Public cannot see the difference.
I'm not arguing that you are wrong, I am arguing that you will be (and are) tarred with the same brush by the anti movement and the general public can't see how they are wrong.

I work with a bloke who shoots quite a lot, he told me only last week how he like to shoot goose but can't stand eating them. So he just shoots them for sport.
I don't like that.
Then your mate should donate them as its illegal to sell wild goose in England. I waste nothing, raised almost dirt poor I value every morsel! Bits I don't like get swapped or used for dog food. He wouldn't be a mate of mine!

ugly

LE
i'd like to say its the rich cnuts who pay £1000 for a mornings 'sport' that are ruining it, but i'm afraid that from where i sit - i live in a rural area, i'm surrounded by small shoots and the the people who shoot on them are my neighbours - i can count on one hand the number of times i've seen/heard of people eat Pheasant. either some people are eating 4 a day every day of the year, or its not just the outrageously expensive shoots that are dumping them.

the local butchers all have Pheasant and Grouse hanging up in the window, but if you ask them they'll tell you they sell a tiny number every year - its about the look that brings in business. so if the people that shoot them don't eat them (apart from on your shoot), and the butchers don't sell them - who eats them?
Ever heard of a freezer?

ok, parapet time.

Clearly you have mistaken the concept of hunting with killing. It ain't quite as easy as it looks, and granted we don't do the driven shoots here like you fine folk do. It is not a given that you will be slaughtering birds. I feel sorry for the hunters who are losing out on an opportunity to enjoy the sport.