The wheels are coming off the Government

#1
Morning all, what a fine morning it is. I am a big fan of Jeff Randall, this is a great article about the Trabby, well worth a read with your cornflakes....

The wheels are coming off the Government

By Jeff Randall
Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 30/11/2007

Gordon Brown's premiership has become the Trabant of British politics: we had to wait 10 years for delivery, then it fell apart after less than six months.

Trabants, you will recall, were the rattle-trap motor vehicles produced by East Germany's control-freak regime. According to Time magazine, they were "constructed of recycled worthlessness". Does that sound familiar?

An enthusiasts' website says Trabants "soon became outdated" and "everyone had a joke" about them. Like Brown, the Trabant "was the epitome of socialism: bad, not capable of doing too many things, not too efficient..."

In its early days, Brown's leadership, which had been launched with a cheeky re-spray, pop-popped along quite convincingly. But very soon nasty noises emerged from under the bonnet; the Trabant's big end was banging.

Smoke started billowing from its exhaust, as Northern Rock crumbled. The clutch slipped when the personal details of 25 million citizens went missing. Finally, the wheels began to wobble over "unlawful" donations.

Only last week, The Economist, in a generally negative critique of Brown's ill-starred time at No 10, damned him with faint praise for not having "presided over any cast-iron disasters or lethal scandals". That was before spotlights were turned on the shadowy David Abrahams, his £650,000 of secret gifts to Labour, and a network of stooges through which he channelled the cash. Lethal scandal? It's getting close.

Suddenly, the Prime Minister looks more exhausted than my knackered Trabant analogy.

Die-hard supporters, Brown's version of the Trabant Drivers' Club, keep saying it can't possibly get any worse. But it can - and surely will. With its engine clapped out and floor pan rotting, the Prime Minister's authority is heading inexorably for the breaker's yard.

Brown's claim to competence is already finished - kaput. He sold our gold reserves at giveaway prices, vandalised our pension schemes with the sledgehammer of tax, opened the doors to unchecked immigration (ministers have no idea how many foreign workers are here), demanded unconscionable sacrifices from our Armed Forces (for which they pay in blood), and managed the nation's money so ineptly that, despite a long period of economic growth, the United Kingdom is on course this year for a £40 billion shortfall in public finances, £6 billion more than Brown predicted in his last Budget.

The Trabant's final journey to the crusher is pencilled in for next year, when a conflation of rising borrowing costs, falling house prices and retrenchment by lenders is expected to propel personal bankruptcies, home repossessions and other debt-related pain to electorally intolerable levels. At that point, the bashed-up chassis of Brown's credibility will be junked.

Continues
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2007/11/30/do3001.xml
 
#2
The Trabby is rather a good analogy, I think.

The depressing thing is that we have a minimum another 2 years of him and there isn't much we can do about it.
 
#4
With any luck his party will see him as fatally wounded and do the job for us..

Watch for the whispers in the Whitehall corridors and speeches away from Westminster asking if we could be governed better.

Still means a General Election will be up to 2 years away though...

If Broon is ousted lets hope that 2 jobs Des doesn't get the job.....
 
#5
in_the_cheapseats said:
The Trabby is rather a good analogy, I think.

The depressing thing is that we have a minimum another 2 years of him and there isn't much we can do about it.
I'm thinking more...


 
#6
a_nony_mouse said:
in_the_cheapseats said:
The Trabby is rather a good analogy, I think.

The depressing thing is that we have a minimum another 2 years of him and there isn't much we can do about it.
I'm thinking more...


Yep, this shower of sh1te will hold on to the last minute in 2010 because they know they won't get re-elected.

Labour, they always revert to type and fcuk it all up in the end.
 
#7
Ord_Sgt said:
a_nony_mouse said:
in_the_cheapseats said:
The Trabby is rather a good analogy, I think.

The depressing thing is that we have a minimum another 2 years of him and there isn't much we can do about it.
I'm thinking more...


Yep, this shower of sh1te will hold on to the last minute in 2010 because they know they won't get re-elected.

Labour, they always revert to type and fcuk it all up in the end.
Yes notice the roller at the front, convenient for bulldozing their way through anything that might actaully sort this country out :evil:
 

oldbaldy

LE
Moderator
#8
Nothing wrong with a Trabby:



Unlike this shower of a government.
 
#9
geezer466 said:
With any luck his party will see him as fatally wounded and do the job for us..

Watch for the whispers in the Whitehall corridors and speeches away from Westminster asking if we could be governed better.

Still means a General Election will be up to 2 years away though...

If Broon is ousted lets hope that 2 jobs Des doesn't get the job.....
Good point. Who would replace Broon as PM? Harriet "Workers of the World Unite" Harman? David Milliband - the only schoolboy to get a cabinet job in his gap year?

We should be careful what we wish for.
 
#11
Ancient_Mariner said:
geezer466 said:
With any luck his party will see him as fatally wounded and do the job for us..

Watch for the whispers in the Whitehall corridors and speeches away from Westminster asking if we could be governed better.

Still means a General Election will be up to 2 years away though...

If Broon is ousted lets hope that 2 jobs Des doesn't get the job.....
Good point. Who would replace Broon as PM? Harriet "Workers of the World Unite" Harman? David Milliband - the only schoolboy to get a cabinet job in his gap year?

We should be careful what we wish for.
According to the Daily Wail this morning the Whispers have already started.

Daily Mail Article

Labour MPs spoke privately of Alan Johnson as a potential caretaker PM if the scandal engulfs Mr Brown;
 
#13
geezer466 said:
Ancient_Mariner said:
geezer466 said:
With any luck his party will see him as fatally wounded and do the job for us..

Watch for the whispers in the Whitehall corridors and speeches away from Westminster asking if we could be governed better.

Still means a General Election will be up to 2 years away though...

If Broon is ousted lets hope that 2 jobs Des doesn't get the job.....
Good point. Who would replace Broon as PM? Harriet "Workers of the World Unite" Harman? David Milliband - the only schoolboy to get a cabinet job in his gap year?

We should be careful what we wish for.
According to the Daily Wail this morning the Whispers have already started.

Daily Mail Article

Labour MPs spoke privately of Alan Johnson as a potential caretaker PM if the scandal engulfs Mr Brown;
Do You honestly think that any Labour MP would approach the Beezer with such wibble?
 
#14
Oh come on Sven, there is emnity between Harriet and Gordon at the very top of Govt. The Labour Party is waiting to fall apart, because all their useless MPs in marginal constituencies will ditch Gordon as fast as they can if they think their snouts will get pulled out of the trough.

Alan Johnson is the only Minister who can string a sentence together and sound convincing.

That said, I reckon the Daily Hate might have an agenda running..... 8)
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#15
Funny that - John Yates who failed to bring any charges against anyone on the Cash-for-honours rip-off; Labour officials have suggested that it would be 'odd' if he did not get involved in THIS enquiry. Now that sounds to me like he their preferred man, which, in my mind alone, suggests he is bought and paid for - of course, this is only in my deluded mind, and certainly not an accusation.

They also say that the just-resigned boss of the Labour party should be questioned as to why he did not know this basic law on declarations for donations - in my humble oppinion - 'IGNORANCE OF THE LAW IS NO DEFENSE' - so whether he knew or not, he's guilty (allegedly).

Lummy, I must be very careful with my words at this point - I'd hate to be derail the process!!!
 
#16
Sven said:
geezer466 said:
Ancient_Mariner said:
geezer466 said:
With any luck his party will see him as fatally wounded and do the job for us..

Watch for the whispers in the Whitehall corridors and speeches away from Westminster asking if we could be governed better.

Still means a General Election will be up to 2 years away though...

If Broon is ousted lets hope that 2 jobs Des doesn't get the job.....
Good point. Who would replace Broon as PM? Harriet "Workers of the World Unite" Harman? David Milliband - the only schoolboy to get a cabinet job in his gap year?

We should be careful what we wish for.
According to the Daily Wail this morning the Whispers have already started.

Daily Mail Article

Labour MPs spoke privately of Alan Johnson as a potential caretaker PM if the scandal engulfs Mr Brown;
Do You honestly think that any Labour MP would approach the Beezer with such wibble?
If they believed they could do so without it being traced back to them, I doubt they'd hesitate for a second, old boy. :D

SS Gordon has hit the iceberg and his fellow travellers are scrambling for the lifeboats. It's every man for himself and the Devil take the hindmost.

If the Cabinate thought it'd keep them in power, they'd build a Wicker Man in front of No 10 and burn Gordon alive in it. :twisted:
 
#17
Really quite impressed with Harriet Harman's impression of a cornered rat. If anything can sink Broon, it'll be his minions realising that they will be thrown to the wolves as a first, rather than last resort.

As to Neu Arbeit MPs not dealing with the Daily Hate, I suggest you look at how many of them have written for that august organ in the past, including one Tony Blair.
 
#18
The wheels have been looking a bit wobbly since before The Hated One pissed off to the ME. Of course, it didn't help that they were square in the first place.

IMO His Tonyness was quite happy to let things go pear-shaped once he knew the writing was on the wall. He certainly put no visible effort into putting the Labour house in order.

Politics is like a lesbian relationship - only cunts get involved.

Edited to generalise, 'coz none of the bastards are any use.
 
#19
Sven said:
geezer466 said:
Ancient_Mariner said:
geezer466 said:
With any luck his party will see him as fatally wounded and do the job for us..

Watch for the whispers in the Whitehall corridors and speeches away from Westminster asking if we could be governed better.

Still means a General Election will be up to 2 years away though...

If Broon is ousted lets hope that 2 jobs Des doesn't get the job.....
Good point. Who would replace Broon as PM? Harriet "Workers of the World Unite" Harman? David Milliband - the only schoolboy to get a cabinet job in his gap year?

We should be careful what we wish for.
According to the Daily Wail this morning the Whispers have already started.

Daily Mail Article

Labour MPs spoke privately of Alan Johnson as a potential caretaker PM if the scandal engulfs Mr Brown;
Do You honestly think that any Labour MP would approach the Beezer with such wibble?
Any number of them would do it without a moments hesitation Sven. In case you haven't noticed, party members are fighting like ferrets in a sack about the financial corruption scandal.

The numerous, other recent cock ups mean Labour is currently even less popular than it was in Thatcher's day, when Michael Foot donned his donkey jacket and led CND marches.

If things don't change drastically, an awful lot of Labour MPs, including some cabinet ministers, are going to lose their seats when the next election comes. The prospect of not having a job concentrates the mind wonderfully - well for most people.

By the way, I'm still waiting for the 'further action' you threatened me with in the PM you sent on Wednesday. Can I assume you were talking b@llox?
 
#20
Themanwho said:
As to Neu Arbeit MPs not dealing with the Daily Hate, I suggest you look at how many of them have written for that august organ in the past, including one Tony Blair.
Actually the owner of the Daily Mail is a big fan of Broon (note the mails support down the years of other dodgy 'one party, one tent' political types) and not so keen on Cameron, as a result their coverage is rather muted, saying things like 'Gordion has been a genius Chancellor for ten years and now needs a break from the public blaming him for junior staff errors' - two days ago this!

Broon and the Mails owner were actually close to doing a 'the Sun and Tony' type of deal with tongues which thankfully may have been derailed by this latest blunder.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top