The Wheatcroft Collection

I just giggled M2, M3 Stuart. I'm convinced that it's got M3 running gear, but the hull is throwing me. Unless it got a local mod from where ever KW brought it from.
I know they were crap tanks, but you'll hurt their feelings laughing at them like that :)

Has this been identified yet(green hull centre)?
2005_1022Wheatcroft0058.JPG
I'm just surprised that know ones inquired as to when the Gulaschkanone (Goulash Cannon) is serving up bratwurst (One bratwurst only mind you)

I'm just sitting here watching, "Shooting the War" it's about home movies during the war. Third episode, 'Women', part of the episode a lass filmed at a RAF base, in the middle a bloody Locust.
In colour as well.

M22 Locust Airborne Tank
@ 7 tonne, produced by Marmon~Herrington who made 830. UK received 260.
It used the M3 sprockets and tracks and was powered by a 165 hp Lycoming 6 cylinder aircraft engine.
It was armed with 37mm m/gun and a coaxial 30 cal Browning.
Of the approx 20 odd left in the world KW has apparently got two of them.
There's one for sale in France at $55,000.

The M22 only saw action once in WW2. Courtesy of Wikipedia: -

Operation Varsity[edit]
In March 1945, the 6th Airborne Division was informed that it would be participating in Operation Varsity, an airborne operation in support of 21st Army Group crossing the River Rhine during Operation Plunder. On March 24 the division, in conjunction with the American United States 17th Airborne Division, would be dropped by parachute and glider near the city of Wesel, where it would capture the strategically important village of Hamminkeln, several important bridges over the River IJssel and the southern portion of a major forest, the Diersfordter Wald.[35] Eight Locusts from the regiment, divided into two troops of four, would land with the 6th Airlanding Brigade in landing-zone 'P' east of the Diersfordter Wald and west of Hamminkeln, acting as a divisional reserve; the rest of the regiment would arrive by road after crossing the Rhine with 21st Army Group.[36]

Locust in action during Operation Varsity, March 1945
The eight Locusts were loaded into separate Hamilcar gliders between 17–20 March, and on the morning of 24 March were towed from the airfield by Handley Page Halifax heavy bombers to join the rest of the gliders and transport aircraft carrying the two airborne divisions. Weather conditions for the operation were excellent, with clear visibility, and all eight gliders arrived in the vicinity of the landing zone without incident.[37] During their attempts to land, however, the small force was severely depleted; one glider broke away from the Halifax towing it and disintegrated, apparently as a result of structural failure, with the Locust inside it falling to the ground.[38] Three more gliders came under heavy German anti-aircraft fire and crashed as they landed; one tank survived with a damaged machine gun, another crashed through a house which put its wireless radio set and main armament out of action, and the third broke loose of the glider as it landed and was flipped over onto its turret, rendering it useless.[39]

Six Locusts landed intact on the landing zone, including several with significant damage, but two of these tanks did not reach the rendezvous point chosen for the regiment. One undamaged tank came to the aid of a group of American paratroopers who were under fire from a German self-propelled gun but was rapidly knocked out by the German vehicle, wounding two crewmembers. A second tank broke down as it attempted to tow a jeep out of a crashed glider, although the crew remained with the tank and supported British airborne troops in the area.[40] Of the four Locusts that reached the rendezvous point, only two were undamaged and fully fit for action; these two were immediately deployed to the high ground east of the Diersfordter Wald, while being covered by the two damaged tanks. Upon arrival they were engaged by German troops and had to be supported by an infantry company, and soon their presence began attracting a great deal of artillery and anti-tank fire.[41] Although neither of the tanks were hit, a number of infantrymen were killed or wounded and after several hours the tanks were forced to withdraw. The four tanks and remaining infantry formed a small force that repelled several German attacks on their position, and were eventually relieved at 10:30 by a tank squadron from the 44th Royal Tank Regiment and elements of the rest of the 6th Airborne Armoured Reconnaissance Regiment.[42]

Wow, with your eyes shut that turret looks spot on! Non-original engine as well. I've seen repro tank turrets cast out of concrete that are hard to tell from the original externally. That might be the way to go, or, hate to say it, fibreglass. The originals are like hens teeth.

Last edited:
Wow, with your eyes shut that turret looks spot on! None original engine as well. I've seen repro tank turrets cast out of concrete that are hard to tell from the original externally. That might be the way to go, or, hate to say it, fibreglass. The originals are like hens teeth.

There is a reason for nearly all the Locusts have dummy turrets, they were designed to be easily removed for transportation. Turret off placed inside the fuselage of a C54 and the hull carried underneath.
After the war finished an awful lot were sold as farm tractors.
On that photo, that drivers hatch don't look right either.