The "what trade should I go for" thread - all job selection related chat in here

Hi everyone. I need a little bit of help making my role choice. Im completely lost at the moment because i'm looking for a job that will help me gain skills that are easily transferable to the civilian world... in France. Basically something that will allow me to get a job in france, so me and my gf can move back to her homeland and i can get a decently paid job in order to raise a family well.

I have a lot of options open to me, basically everything except infantry and int corps. RMP, signals, medical roles, engineering, RLC etc.

Ive heard that out of those, signals is a good choice. Can anyone vouch for this and give a bit of info on what they actually can do post army.

Also if you think any of my other options would be better can you give me a bit of info please.

Thanks. Really quite lost atm.
How about the French Foreign Legion?

You'll learn some French whether you like it or not (I hear they literally beat it into you if you don't have a knack for languages), they have various regiments that cover infantry, cavalry, and engineering, all of which have medics that are trained to regular French army standard if patching people up is your thing.

After 3 years service you can also apply for French citizenship.

They very much own you for the first year though, so there is a chance that your paramour will bin you fairly early into your 5-year contract.

If you want to join an OK Corps, which has its share of numpties, but also a number of truly fascinating jobs within it, then go for Royal Signals.
Best of luck.
whilst it does have a share of the numpty pool, I feel that we do better than other Corps and have a greater percentage of soldiers that can wipe their own ARRSE and make decisions that don’t make the front page news.

whilst it does have a share of the numpty pool, I feel that we do better than other Corps and have a greater percentage of soldiers that can wipe their own ARRSE and make decisions that don’t make the front page news.
True, but, you know, two things:

1. Royal Signals direct entry officers, the ideal people to have available if you have an issue with botany, or the history of art...

and (more perniciously)

2. Royal Signals RD types

Hi guys I’m thinking about joining royal engineers as a driver or armoured engineer but do any of you know what exactly do the jobs entail and what you do on a day to to basis as there isn’t a lot of info on the website about it.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:
Hi everyone, still in very early stages of joining but was hoping someone may be able to help with this query so i can realistically can decide what role i can aim for. As a South African who has lived in the UK for the last 5 years i realize that some roles require GCSE and a certain grade. I have completed 12 years of schooling and have a statement of my results. Would this be accepted or would i need to do my GCSE's here? Any advice would be great thankyou

Last edited:
Hi everyone, still in very early stages of joining but was hoping someone may be able to help with this query so i can realistically can decide what role i can aim for. As a South African who has lived in the UK for the last 5 years i realize that some roles require GCSE and a certain grade. I have completed 12 years of schooling and have a statement of my results. Would this be accepted or would i need to either do my GCSE's here? Any advice would be great thankyou
You need to confirm that with the recruiter. I’ve seen Irish qualifications not accepted but that was quite a few years ago.

Hello everyone, I’m a bit torn on what job role to actually pick, I want to be part of 16 Air Assault Brigade hopefully so naturally The Parachute regiment is my first choice, however the royal signals really appeal to me too and I’m aware that 216 signal squadron exists. Is it likely that I’d get into 216 sigs after a while at unit or is it a really rare occurrence to get what you want? If it’s rare then I’ll just go for the Parachute Regiment as that’s my best bet at guaranteeing doing jumps.

Hello everyone, I’m a bit torn on what job role to actually pick, I want to be part of 16 Air Assault Brigade hopefully so naturally The Parachute regiment is my first choice, however the royal signals really appeal to me too and I’m aware that 216 signal squadron exists. Is it likely that I’d get into 216 sigs after a while at unit or is it a really rare occurrence to get what you want? If it’s rare then I’ll just go for the Parachute Regiment as that’s my best bet at guaranteeing doing jumps.
Well do you want to go to the paras, have a few years of kicking down doors and getting fucked knees or do that part time and get a trade?

Also the sigs have their own SF reg

Plus I don't think the paras have done a jump in combat for a while.

Well do you want to go to the paras, have a few years of kicking down doors and getting fucked knees or do that part time and get a trade?

Also the sigs have their own SF reg

Plus I don't think the paras have done a jump in combat for a while.
Do airborne sigs do kicking down doors from time to time? If they do then I may as well get a trade and do it part time as you said

The_Duke

LE
They tend to do signalling - it is their trade. They may well do infantry type exercises, but if they want doors kicking down on operations the Royal Signals won’t be the first people they turn to.

Do airborne sigs do kicking down doors from time to time? If they do then I may as well get a trade and do it part time as you said
Honestly mate no idea, not really what I’m looking at doing myself. Look at the sigs area on the site and maybe you might find some pointers. Guessing running around with paras with a radio strapped to your back involves following them whether they go.

The_Duke

LE
Honestly mate no idea, not really what I’m looking at doing myself. Look at the sigs area on the site and maybe you might find some pointers. Guessing running around with the paras as a radio guy involves following them whether they go.
You are guessing. The radio guy running around is far more likely to be a signals trained infantry soldier. Any Royal Signals attached to a battle group will be in BG HQ talking back to the higher headquarters.

You are guessing. The radio guy running around is far more likely to be a signals trained infantry soldier. Any Royal Signals attached to a battle group will be in BG HQ talking back to the higher headquarters.
Did say guessing :) not really interested in doing para or commando myself.

Plus I did do some pointing in hopefully the right direction

They tend to do signalling - it is their trade. They may well do infantry type exercises, but if they want doors kicking down on operations the Royal Signals won’t be the first people they turn to.
Yeah I wouldn’t think they’d be doing too much of that, I’d still enjoy doing the signalling regardless. Thanks for the reply

Hi,

Interested in the Comms System Engineer role, I am 30 pretty much wasted my life and looking to make a change! Very conscience of my advanced age and want to make the most out of my army career and gain as many quals as possible.

Does anyone have an idea of what kind of roles I could apply for in Civvy street after being a Comms System Engineer for a number of years?

Comms Engineer-Systems Engineer - British Army Jobs

At what stage in your career do you achieve

• FdSc Management of Military Information Systems
  • City and Guilds in Advanced Diploma IT Practitioner Systems Support (Level 3)
  • City and Guilds Diploma for IT Practice Systems Support
  • Advance Apprenticeship in Information Communication Technology (Professional) (ICT (P))
is it possible to gain the above in 8 years? Would I have to recommended by COC to go on these courses or can I just book myself on a course?

Thanks,

Hi,

Interested in the Comms System Engineer role, I am 30 pretty much wasted my life and looking to make a change! Very conscience of my advanced age and want to make the most out of my army career and gain as many quals as possible.

Does anyone have an idea of what kind of roles I could apply for in Civvy street after being a Comms System Engineer for a number of years?

Comms Engineer-Systems Engineer - British Army Jobs

At what stage in your career do you achieve

• FdSc Management of Military Information Systems
  • City and Guilds in Advanced Diploma IT Practitioner Systems Support (Level 3)
  • City and Guilds Diploma for IT Practice Systems Support
  • Advance Apprenticeship in Information Communication Technology (Professional) (ICT (P))
is it possible to gain the above in 8 years? Would I have to recommended by COC to go on these courses or can I just book myself on a course?

Thanks,
It’s all about to change my friend, and I honestly think for the better, though the proof will be in the pudding. Personally I would take those quals with a pinch of salt. However there will be a lot of industry standards quals in the future construct. As it is there is massive opportunity to gain all sorts of qualifications though they aren’t all spoon fed. I’m lazy so haven’t done well, some of my mates have completed Masters in Network Engineering and are pulling 6 figures. CEng is the way to go!

It’s all about to change my friend, and I honestly think for the better, though the proof will be in the pudding. Personally I would take those quals with a pinch of salt. However there will be a lot of industry standards quals in the future construct. As it is there is massive opportunity to gain all sorts of qualifications though they aren’t all spoon fed. I’m lazy so haven’t done well, some of my mates have completed Masters in Network Engineering and are pulling 6 figures. CEng is the way to go!
Thank you for your advice! That is very re-assuring to hear! I think that's positive a step in the right direction having industry standard quals as that would make transitioning a lot easier! I am very interested in any CISCO related quals as I have been told they are very employable! You are definitely selling it to me! I could never imagine pulling 6 figures with my current work exp or quals lol With ref to Masters in Degree, I don't suppose you know if that was funded by the MOD or self funded?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Frangipano RLC 5
polar Army Reserve 1
General Melchett RLC 4