The "what trade should I go for" thread - all job selection related chat in here

NemoIII

Old-Salt
Hi everyone. I need a little bit of help making my role choice. Im completely lost at the moment because i'm looking for a job that will help me gain skills that are easily transferable to the civilian world... in France. Basically something that will allow me to get a job in france, so me and my gf can move back to her homeland and i can get a decently paid job in order to raise a family well.

I have a lot of options open to me, basically everything except infantry and int corps. RMP, signals, medical roles, engineering, RLC etc.

Ive heard that out of those, signals is a good choice. Can anyone vouch for this and give a bit of info on what they actually can do post army.

Also if you think any of my other options would be better can you give me a bit of info please.

Thanks. Really quite lost atm.
Think your mindset is in the wrong place. Think about getting in and completing training brdotr you make plans afterwards.

JNM

War Hero
Hi everyone. I need a little bit of help making my role choice. Im completely lost at the moment because i'm looking for a job that will help me gain skills that are easily transferable to the civilian world... in France. Basically something that will allow me to get a job in france, so me and my gf can move back to her homeland and i can get a decently paid job in order to raise a family well.

I have a lot of options open to me, basically everything except infantry and int corps. RMP, signals, medical roles, engineering, RLC etc.

Ive heard that out of those, signals is a good choice. Can anyone vouch for this and give a bit of info on what they actually can do post army.

Also if you think any of my other options would be better can you give me a bit of info please.

Gonna take 4 years to get in and out minimum, more if you want more quals plus it looks like you’ll need a work visa for France by then. And that’s 4 years from starting, you have to get through selection and hopefully get a quick start date for training.

Just pick something you enjoy and stick to that. Because you seem to be doing it for the wrong reason anyway so it’ll already be hell if you enjoy the trade, never mind if you despise it.

Honestly using it just to get quals so you can piss off to France for some skirt seems a bit dickish to me.

Signals will provide a route to qualifications after about five years. Personally I’d look at the Artisan roles in the Engineers. They’re bound to be transferable.

Hey! Well, my decision was Infantry could never get under 12:00 on the run then went to Glencorse got 11:40 - 1.5 mile and got a good score on the ACT which meant I was eligible for RMP, Intel Corps etc so I think I'm going Intel Corps or will try for it since there are further assessments for them! Also, go for something you think you'll enjoy as opposed to being simply transferable! Look at both present and future for this career, after all it is 4 years minimum of your life that you'll either love or hate!

LWilson

Clanker
On the Wikipedia page for 23 Parachute Engineer Regiment it says their role is combat engineering. Does this mean you do not do things with a trade and it is just demolitions, building bridges ect? I have recently decided to join 23 Parachute Engineer Regiment instead of the Parachute Regiment but I am having a difficulty choosing a trade, if they do not do things with trades then that would sort out my problem.

NemoIII

Old-Salt
On the Wikipedia page for 23 Parachute Engineer Regiment it says their role is combat engineering. Does this mean you do not do things with a trade and it is just demolitions, building bridges ect? I have recently decided to join 23 Parachute Engineer Regiment instead of the Parachute Regiment but I am having a difficulty choosing a trade, if they do not do things with trades then that would sort out my problem.
I'm not a engineer but think it depends.

You'll need to go through your B3 and trade training and then posted to a unit, which may be 23 but may also be another unit.

As I said depends on trade, doubt you can go 23 if you're armoured trained, but I guess certain trades will be used more than others.

JNM

War Hero
Could always go in as a RE/REME and go do P coy after P2 to get attached to the paras.

Not sure how the engineers get posted, however you will get the choice, but this doesn't mean that you'll get what you want.
You’ll probably get to submit a posting preference which means that you hand a list of 3-5 units or locations that you’d like to go to, known as a dream sheet. You might get lucky you might not.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
The sure fire way to become a military parachutist is to join the Parachute Regiment. Other cap badges have parachute-role units and individual slots, but competition to get in these is fierce and depends on some random factors, apart from aptitude and desire.

You don't join 23 Parachute Engineer Regiment from civilian life, you join the Corps of Royal Engineers, which will train you and post you to a working unit after Phase 2. This might be 23, it might not. The odds are pretty overwhelming that it won't be and that you'll have to jump some internal hurdles in both your unit and the wider Corps to secure a highly-desired slot in the unit.

LWilson

Clanker
Can someone who has served in 9 Para squadron or more recently 23 Parachute Engineer Regiment get in contact with me? It would be very helpful.

Can someone who has served in 9 Para squadron or more recently 23 Parachute Engineer Regiment get in contact with me? It would be very helpful.
You are unlikely to get that here. As @Glad_its_all_over stated you can’t choose where you go unless you go straight into Para Reg. Post your question openly and you will probably get an informed answer.

I spoke to a recruiter on the website earlier and they said you could choose.
I'm sorry but they were either incorrect or misunderstood your question. You will get given a list to choose from during trade training if you're lucky. That list will e based on the slots available at the time. If the stars align you will get one of the posts you have chosen.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Frangipano RLC 5
polar Army Reserve 1
General Melchett RLC 4

Latest Threads