The "what trade should I go for" thread - all job selection related chat in here

Electronic Warfare Systems Operator (Signals) or Paratrooper (Infantry)?

Both are completely different but both are interesting me for various different reasons. Does anybody have some inside experience to offer some help? I understand signals can do P company later on.
The EW mob have an airborne troop. As far as jobs after service go EW is probably the way forward. Or you could do a real trade in the Corps and go CS Eng?

D

Deleted 157840

The EW mob have an airborne troop. As far as jobs after service go EW is probably the way forward. Or you could do a real trade in the Corps and go CS Eng?
I think after my service, I will join the police or something like that. I liked the sneaky side of the EW role which is why initially I fell in love with the roll but I fear I will be just sitting in a back of a vehicle or be miles away from the battlefield. Where paras I understand career progression is a lot slower but I love th idea of physical peak and potentially would like to go down the sniper route. I think my main fear is being a EW I won’t be a ‘soldier’ and have a seated job which is what I’m actually trying to get away from.

I think after my service, I will join the police or something like that. I liked the sneaky side of the EW role which is why initially I fell in love with the roll but I fear I will be just sitting in a back of a vehicle or be miles away from the battlefield. Where paras I understand career progression is a lot slower but I love th idea of physical peak and potentially would like to go down the sniper route. I think my main fear is being a EW I won’t be a ‘soldier’ and have a seated job which is what I’m actually trying to get away from.
Career progression is not slower in meat and veg, but is more difficult. EW is massively undermanned so progression is good. Unit dependent but you are far more likely to have an operational impact as an EW Op than any infantry job. If you want to be an infanteer go for it, you’ll not find esprit de Corps like it. Just remember that when you are sat in a bush, shitting into a bag, there will be an EW bloke looking around the set room wandering which strange WRAF he’s seeing tonight.

D

Deleted 157840

Career progression is not slower in meat and veg, but is more difficult. EW is massively undermanned so progression is good. Unit dependent but you are far more likely to have an operational impact as an EW Op than any infantry job. If you want to be an infanteer go for it, you’ll not find esprit de Corps like it. Just remember that when you are sat in a bush, shitting into a bag, there will be an EW bloke looking around the set room wandering which strange WRAF he’s seeing tonight.
Lovely thanks! Guess i’ll see what my options are after my assessment.

gazz1

Swinger
I was going to go Infantry but after looking at my options and thinking ahead opted for RLC. Qualifications , etc available throughout the Army however?

I was going to go Infantry but after looking at my options and thinking ahead opted for RLC. Qualifications , etc available throughout the Army however?
You have to wipe you own arrse with respect to getting accredited courses, but if you're proactive you can get plenty of qualifications. Note that you get paid whilst undertaking professional development, and you can get cheap accommodation on local camps if you look for it.

louisrj12

Swinger
So I could possibly be going into the Int corps, however my assessment is in January. Will this cause my phase 1 start to be pushed way back into the mid to late stages of 2019, or could I still get into February or march? thinking of swapping if its going to push me back too* long.

Last edited:

The_Duke

LE
Posts deleted, points awarded to yet another simpleton who can’t follow simple recruiting forum rules.

If your post isn’t accurate, relevant and helpful to the potential recruit, it doesn’t belong in here.

aberspr

Old-Salt
So I could possibly be going into the Int corps, however my assessment is in January. Will this cause my phase 1 start to be pushed way back into the mid to late stages of 2019, or could I still get into February or march? thinking of swapping if its going to push me back too* long.
I’d strongly advise you just concentrate on trying to get a trade that you want to do. While waiting is frustrating it is much better than ending up doing a job you don’t like. A few extra months might seem like forever now but it’s nothing in career terms.

JNM

War Hero
Should pick what you want to do. I was lucky as the one I’ve been eyeing came into priority and even then and with a B grade I’m waiting until Feb 2019 (passed on the 15/11). Some people from the same group are going in Jan for other corps. So pick what you want to do, focus on getting an A (so make sure you pass every requirement and put as much effort as you can into beating your best) and hopefully you’ll get in sooner rather than later.

Can anybody give me advice im torn between comms engineer systems operator and operator technical intelligence can anybody give me some insight on these roles and which would be preferable..thanks

JNM

War Hero
Can anybody give me advice im torn between comms engineer systems operator and operator technical intelligence can anybody give me some insight on these roles and which would be preferable..thanks
Talk to the guys at the careers office they’ll have an idea

JNM

War Hero

PS

If you haven’t had your first interview/discussion yet you only need an idea of what you want for your 3 proffered choices and they’ll happily explain stuff to you about what each do. They’re not set in stone either you can swap at selection if you change your mind.

comms engineer systems operator - Operating core communications equipment such as Falcon. The jo is thoroughly unit dependent and ranges from Electronic Warfare equipment, BOWMAN (the Tri Service tactical radio system), to first line support of deployed IT systems. The trade provides a clear path from Signaller to Lt Colonel. Tasks are world wide and varied.

Alky

Crow
Hello everyone,

I'm only going through the application process, I'll be honest I have next to nothing military knowledge, though my reasons for joining are to see as much of the world as I can while serving and earning some decent qualifications and a modest pay.

Though, I've been looking ahead at what job roles there are and what I'd like to do. I did fairly well at school, getting 2 B's and 8 C's. I'm drawn to Armorer which seems really interesting to me. I'm just wondering for some tips and some advice on what the role is actually about and whether I'd have the chance to travel as much as I wanted to. Geographic Technician is also another interesting role. Just want some insight from people who know more than me!

Thanks.

Hello everyone,

I'm only going through the application process, I'll be honest I have next to nothing military knowledge, though my reasons for joining are to see as much of the world as I can while serving and earning some decent qualifications and a modest pay.

Though, I've been looking ahead at what job roles there are and what I'd like to do. I did fairly well at school, getting 2 B's and 8 C's. I'm drawn to Armorer which seems really interesting to me. I'm just wondering for some tips and some advice on what the role is actually about and whether I'd have the chance to travel as much as I wanted to. Geographic Technician is also another interesting role. Just want some insight from people who know more than me!

Thanks.
That's a pretty open set of questions. You are very likely to travel, and qualifications are there for all if you seek them. Work out what you like doing, what you are good at and map it across to what pays the most. From there you should have an idea what to apply for or at least a shorter list. Personally, I'd go to college and see what happens first. The Army (and Navy) needs to spend some time sorting itself out, which should mean more money...maybe...one day.

LWilson

Clanker
I really want to join the Parachute Regiment however I would like to have a trade or something for once I am out of the army. For 23 Parachute Engineer Regiment do you need qualifications to join? Also, does a Recovery Mechanic get to be in any combat? At what age can you start your application for junior entry, Is it when you are 16 or 15?

Last edited:

LWilson

Clanker
I really want to join the Parachute Regiment however I would like to have a trade or something for once I am out of the army. For 23 Parachute Engineer Regiment do you need qualifications to join? Also, does a Recovery Mechanic get to be in any combat? At what age can you start your application for junior entry, Is it when you are 16 or 15?
bump

I wouldn’t ask questions about being in combat it doesn’t come across well. Personally I’d focus on getting your maths and English GCSEs under your belt. Most capbadges have para trained positions and the input requirements will depend upon the particular trade so there’s plenty of options. The bit about junior entry...you’re better off speaking to a recruiting office.

Hi everyone. I need a little bit of help making my role choice. Im completely lost at the moment because i'm looking for a job that will help me gain skills that are easily transferable to the civilian world... in France. Basically something that will allow me to get a job in france, so me and my gf can move back to her homeland and i can get a decently paid job in order to raise a family well.

I have a lot of options open to me, basically everything except infantry and int corps. RMP, signals, medical roles, engineering, RLC etc.

Ive heard that out of those, signals is a good choice. Can anyone vouch for this and give a bit of info on what they actually can do post army.

Also if you think any of my other options would be better can you give me a bit of info please.

Thanks. Really quite lost atm.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Frangipano RLC 5
polar Army Reserve 1
General Melchett RLC 4

Latest Threads