• To get away from an abusive family

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • To get away from a place with no job prospects

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • To avoid ending up in prison through bad life choices

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Because they had no education to speak of

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Because life had just shat them out and they had no other option available to them

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Because they were in a rut and couldn't find another way out

Votes: 12 11.0%
  • For shits and giggles

Votes: 56 51.4%

• Total voters
Is the term Squarebashing even used these days, can't remember it being used in the 80's and 90's

Andy Bear

Clanker
As a bored apprentice plumber ,Instead of seeking military career I joined the air farce . Rigger Job description included , 'must be prepared to travel the world working at height'. This looks like a job for me !! Once I was in however we had the IRA running around and the attack on Akrotiri when I was there . Sunday afternoon and pissed . That rifle and ammo . Yes I wanted to fight kill and possibly die to have a go at the bastards who had a go at me and mine . " Why did you shoot him 20 times sac trigger? Ran out of ammo sir .
Sorry for the delay but greetings, fellow rigger.

TheSockPuppet

On ROPS
On ROPs
@MrBane - OP is one of the best posts on Arrse and sums up exactly how 99% of us feel. I personally voted for 'Shíts and Gigs' and am heartened to see that the majority of others also did so.

I don't stand in harms way because I'm some sort of saint who wants to free the world - I do so because it pays the mortgage and is a less shíte way of doing so that having to work alongside civvy móngs in a 'normal' job.

CplFoodspoiler

War Hero
Why did I join? Well I was the eldest of 6 and my dear departed mam was, by her own admission, a shit cook who's idea of a treat was a bread and sugar sarnie. That's it, just bread and sugar not even a scrape of Stork.
At school I eschewed sport of any kind and did cooking instead, my mates got cold, wet and muddy and I got a warm kitchen and freshly baked goodies.
Naturally, when I decided to join the army this attitude influenced my career choice. JTR ACC at 15 + 2 months. Had a great time there and onwards to small units that had nice warm kitchens, little or no bullshit and a relaxed military environment. Happy days for 6 years.
Then on to TAVR ACC and another 6 years with 3 WFR. Spent most of duty time in the field sat next to a No1 burner - any fool can be cold and wet.

As a footnote I have to say, hand on heart, I never once uttered the immortal phrase "ONE SAUSAGE CNUT!"

Whining Civvy

LE
Book Reviewer
Why did I join? Well I was the eldest of 6 and my dear departed mam was, by her own admission, a shit cook who's idea of a treat was a bread and sugar sarnie. That's it, just bread and sugar not even a scrape of Stork.
At school I eschewed sport of any kind and did cooking instead, my mates got cold, wet and muddy and I got a warm kitchen and freshly baked goodies.
Naturally, when I decided to join the army this attitude influenced my career choice. JTR ACC at 15 + 2 months. Had a great time there and onwards to small units that had nice warm kitchens, little or no bullshit and a relaxed military environment. Happy days for 6 years.
Then on to TAVR ACC and another 6 years with 3 WFR. Spent most of duty time in the field sat next to a No1 burner - any fool can be cold and wet.

As a footnote I have to say, hand on heart, I never once uttered the immortal phrase "ONE SAUSAGE CNUT!"
Only because you'd scoffed them all before they got there.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer

If you will burn them on one side and leave the other side raw.......

Latest Threads