• To get away from an abusive family

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • To get away from a place with no job prospects

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • To avoid ending up in prison through bad life choices

• Because they had no education to speak of

• Because life had just shat them out and they had no other option available to them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Because they were in a rut and couldn't find another way out

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • For shits and giggles

Votes: 44 50.0%

• Total voters
The bit I hate most about today's army is those that claim they have a MM, MiD, OBE and to have been in the SAS.

What do you think about those that claim things like that, which are patently untrue?
The key to successful walting is to claim to be in the RAF and just talk about yourself, constantly. Steering the conversation back to how brilliant you are.

Nobody will ever doubt you.

Proff3RTR

War Hero
The bit I hate most about today's army is those that claim they have a MM, MiD, OBE and to have been in the SAS.

What do you think about those that claim things like that, which are patently untrue?
I know how I feel about them and it is not a good feeling. A walt is a Walt, full stop. No need for it so stop it, (& apart from that, this bloody balcony is getting a bit crowded ffs).

The key to successful walting is to claim to be in the RAF and just talk about yourself, constantly. Steering the conversation back to how brilliant you are.

Nobody will ever doubt you.
I, being a brilliant RAF Lance Wing Commander, of course already knew that.

Proff3RTR

War Hero
Top man, carry on………..

The truth is that those who have done it, won it or been awarded it... Rarely speak of it! Whilst those who have achieved none of those... Rarely shut up about it and will boast incessantly of their "Walt" exploits!

riksavage

War Hero
There’s a famous quote from some clever Johnny:

‘I don’t fight because I hate the enemy in front of me, I fight because I love what’s behind me.’ Or something like that.

I picked up the quote from a book about how the Greeks defeated the Persian horde at Salamis. The Greeks were freemen and volunteers, the Persians slaves to Xerxes. Xerxes had the sea whipped and branded for being too rough. The Greek General who won at Salamis was tried on his return by a council of elders (having won an amazing victory) on charges he didn’t look after the welfare of his men.

Xerxes ruled by punishment. He had a scribe watch a battle and take down the names of men who he believed didn’t perform. They’d be punished afterwards, often with their life.

Proff3RTR

War Hero
In my case Sven Hassel has a lot to answer for.
Apparently only one of his books ‘wheels of terror’ was based on reality. You read the original version and he and Oberst Hinka are the only ones to survive the war, that’s if it is truth at all.

Last edited:
The truth is that those who have done it, won it or been awarded it... Rarely speak of it! Whilst those who have achieved none of those... Rarely shut up about it and will boast incessantly of their "Walt" exploits!
One of the Band of Brothers was asked by his grandson if he was a hero. He replied no, but that he served with a company of heroes

Last edited:

dontenn

On ROPS
On ROPs
Joined to get out of Bradford........ shit hole.

riksavage

War Hero
There’s a famous quote from some clever Johnny:

‘I don’t fight because I hate the enemy in front of me, I fight because I love what’s behind me.’ Or something like that.

I picked up the quote from a book about how the Greeks defeated the Persian horde at Salamis. The Greeks were freemen and volunteers, the Persians slaves to Xerxes. Xerxes had the sea whipped and branded for being too rough. The Greek General who won at Salamis was tried on his return by a council of elders (having won an amazing victory) on charges he didn’t look after the welfare of his men.

Xerxes ruled by punishment. He had a scribe watch a battle and take down the names of men who he believed didn’t perform. They’d be punished afterwards, often with their life.
Another fun fact; Alexander the Great killed more Greeks than were killed fighting for him. A reflection on the number of Greek hoplites compelled to fight for the Persian King Darius against Alexander.

Tuffty

War Hero
I joined in the late 70's, i am from Grimsby were the chances of getting a job were even less than they are now. So i joined for a job and career. Best move i ever made, even though at certain times it didnt seem to be.