The Westminster Stakes

Have you ever presented a thought generated by your own braincell?

Your post usually consist of one or more of three things:
a. A link to/cut n paste of an article​
b. A repeat of something sensible (but usually wrong) posted by BL​
c. A straight ad hom​
I've not seen you present anything that doesn't look remarkably like 'The Sun Says'.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I've not seen you present anything that doesn't look remarkably like 'The Sun Says'.
Read post #1 in this thread and see how original thought starts. It was only after this thread started that the meedya started using the expression! :D

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The favourite candidate is not always the winner.
Today is Sunday, so it's a good excuse to use a religious example. In the Roman Catholic church, there is a saying "He who enters the conclave as pope, leaves it as a cardinal." The conclave is the meeting of cardinals that decides who the next Pope will be. Popular opinion has it that the front runner always loses.

Quote taken from Papabile - Wikipedia which explains further.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The favourite candidate is not always the winner.
Today is Sunday, so it's a good excuse to use a religious example. In the Roman Catholic church, there is a saying "He who enters the conclave as pope, leaves it as a cardinal." The conclave is the meeting of cardinals that decides who the next Pope will be. Popular opinion has it that the front runner always loses.

Quote taken from Papabile - Wikipedia which explains further.
And not the first time a dark horse has sneaked in by a nose at the finishing line.

Remember after Maggie, the headlines were all "John Major, who?"

And not the first time a dark horse has sneaked in by a nose at the finishing line.

Remember after Maggie, the headlines were all "John Major, who?"
That was because, when Maggie went, the Tories were convinced they would lose the next election. The big boys, Clarke, Heseltine, Portillo and so on, pulled back as they didn't want to get booted out quickly and put Major in, to lose that particular election, and then wait 4 or 5 years to be a shoe in at the next one.

As it was, Kinnock turned out to be a bigger pillock than anyone imagined (photo shoots on the beach?) and Major, absolutely astoundingly, got in.

Of course, the Tories would have had no chance in the next election when Blair stepped in and Heseltine had to stand away due to medical problems, Clarke got a job with BAT and Portillo lost his seat.

Makes you wonder what would have happened if Kinnock hadn't been such a pr1ck.
Also makes you wonder why the big boys (some of them) are standing in this one. Short term PM?

ugly

LE
A point to note re those who think the Tory party needs and can be united under a single leader. It hasn't been a party with a single view for years, Heath was the catalyst to tearing the Tories apart and Thatcher held them together just but electoral victory only keeps the disquiet to a manageable level of grumbling. Frankly its the same with Labour.
Perhaps we need TBP to become the new Tory party. The old Tory Party can remain as a pro eu rump and the splitters can form a new Pro Britain/UK Tory party and maybe even get the DUP etc into a permanent alliance?
The obvious choice exists already in the Brexit Party. If enough Tories see the light and leave in time for the next election then perhaps a country led by those who want to see this country do well instead of kow towing to the Eu will be something worth voting for?

I would hope that the next PM /Leader will commit to a No Deal/WTO BREXIT.

I do not see why we would then have to wait until 31OCT, but when we do (eventually) leave, he/she/it immediately invokes WTO Article 24. We then commence a two-year period of "Normal Jogging", during which we - then with the initiative - negotiate future relationships, with the whole world.

That is the next real challenge! Whoever can successfully accomplish that, can be assured of TWO terms in office ;) !!

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I wont sully myself, you are free to post some of course!
Be fair, some of Owen Jones's articles are comedy gold and would do well at the Edinburgh Fringe!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I would hope that the next PM /Leader will commit to a No Deal/WTO BREXIT.

I do not see why we would then have to wait until 31OCT, but when we do (eventually) leave, he/she/it immediately invokes WTO Article 24. We then commence a two-year period of "normal Jogging", during which we - then with the initiative - negotiate future relationships, with the whole world.

That is the next real challenge! Whoever can successfully accomplish that, can be assured of TWO terms in office ;) !!
Agreed!

The establishment may feel it is foolish to exclude BoJo but it is not stopping their endless smear campaign which is being waged against him. Just look at some of the rabid links that Baggie has been posting.
I didn't say they were foolish... But to have a final two without him, will look very badly in the eyes of the party faithful. The smears are probably designed to encourage him to pull out of the race again.

As I have said before, I think personally that Bojo is not the answer to the present tory difficulties and the faithful are kidding themselves if they think lots of people will immediately flock back in time for the next GE.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I didn't say they were foolish... But to have a final two without him, will look very badly in the eyes of the party faithful. The smears are probably designed to encourage him to pull out of the race again.

As I have said before, I think personally that Bojo is not the answer to the present tory difficulties and the faithful are kidding themselves if they think lots of people will immediately flock back in time for the next GE.
But you did use foolish in your opening statement "...part of the party has realised that it would be foolish..." so probably worth using back.

FFS has the Guardian become the newspaper of choice for Arrse? If so then we are on the slippery slope towards Mumsnet!
If like me you are to mean to buy a paper , then get all your up to date news from Google news , then it is nearly all gruniad articles

I back Johnson for PM.

Stop Boris Johnson campaign launched by Tory moderates opposed to no-deal Brexit

For no other reason than to see the Graun in a full scale meltdown
The Withdrawal Agreement will not be changed by the EU and it cannot get through Parliament. May tried three times and failed and when she proposed a fourth attempt she was finally forced to resign. The WA is dead. This means that there are only two possible outcomes. The UK either leaves with No Deal on WTO rules or A50 is revoked.

If these so-called moderate cabinet ministers succeed in preventing the appointment of any candidate willing to leave with no deal they will kill off the Conservative Party. It will become like the LibDems after the last general election.

I can foresee a split in the Tory party with the Remain, One Nation element perhaps joining with the LibDems which, to all intents and purposes, is what they really are, or setting themselves up as a direct competitor to them. They might, in that way, encourage the members of ChUK to join them.

The centre right of British politics is vacant at the moment and a party that has Traditional & Fiscal Conservative values would fill that gap. The rump element of the Tories, if it wishes to survive, would need to occupy that ground and would probably need to absorb many members of the Brexit Party to do so.

Use a VPN and set yourself outside the UK to get many more options
I type on this computer thingy with two index fingers

I had no idea there was such a thing as VPN until I googled it

personally , I get all the news I need from the TV and this... may have to use one to get all my naughtier sites next month though