The Westminster Stakes

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Technically not a Brexit subject but here really is the best place.

The runners are starting to put their names forward and there are currently 18 hopefuls reported but not confirmed. Full list when known.

The frontrunners at present are
BoJo: carrying a bit of extra weight and some previous baggage

Gove: been greasing too many palms - may slip on the way to the starting block. Scottish as well so this may be considered a handicap.

Raab: bit of a dark horse who did not really shine as Brexit Secretary, made more impact by resigning!

Ruud: popular with establishment side of the Party but very much an outside bet.

Leadsom, pulled up early in the last race so a bit suspect but good Brexit pedigree

Some other runners
Javid
Hunt
Truss
Brady - a surprise entry but he does hold the form book on many of the other runners.

Others to be added later with a poll put up in due course.

Hunt could be an interesting punt. He would first have to shift to be much more Eurosceptic.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
RIP

The runners are starting to put their names forward and there are currently 18 hopefuls reported but not confirmed. Full list when known.

Gove: been greasing too many palms - may slip on the way to the starting block. Scottish as well so this may be considered a handicap.

Raab: bit of a dark horse who did not really shine as Brexit Secretary, made more impact by resigning!

Ruud: popular with establishment side of the Party but very much an outside bet.

Leadsom, pulled up early in the last race so a bit suspect but good Brexit pedigree

Some other runners
Javid
Hunt
Truss
Brady - a surprise entry but he does hold the form book on many of the other runners.

I think it would be neat, A-Y, to add a poll to this, not of who would you LIKE to win but who do you think most likely to win?

aardvark64

Old-Salt
Williamson as as talking horse?

1. BoJo.
Not popular with the party, but has wide popular support

2. Raab.
Popular with the party, but a bit of a mystery to the public

3. Leadsom.
Ticks boxes, but she’s a woman, and after the dire Days of May, that’s going to count against her.

Williamson as as talking horse?
Neigh, laddy, neigh.
(Stalking)

And considering the circus UK has turned into, it's a shame there's no ringmaster there to take up the reins rather than handing it over to one of the clowns.

ugly

LE
1. BoJo.
Not popular with the party, but has wide popular support
Those who have worked for him appreciate his pace and effort
2. Raab.
Popular with the party, but a bit of a mystery to the public
Outside of these debates we could legitimately ask Who?
3. Leadsom.
Ticks boxes, but she’s a woman, and after the dire Days of May, that’s going to count against her.
Not a great name, not a great personality but May Ensured no one could shine in that cesspool that has been her Govt.

I'd wager a tenner on Boris (if I had a tenner spare)

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I think it would be neat, A-Y, to add a poll to this, not of who would you LIKE to win but who do you think most likely to win?
Once the runners are announced. Not worth putting up now as the people named may not make the starting gun or may withdraw, lame.

Not a great name, not a great personality but May Ensured no one could shine in that cesspool that has been her Govt.

I'd wager a tenner on Boris (if I had a tenner spare)

Concur,

Boris is already out of the blocks with a clear pro Brexit position, a better deal or we walk on the 31st.

Raab and BoJo seem to be the two favourites but I'd love to see Leadsom in there.
I still think it's too early for Boris and seriously don't think any individual or Party have actually learned their lesson yet.
I reckon an interim Pro Brexit leader is needed to signify that a line has been drawn.
Box ticking:
Third female PM -
Jewish ancestry - we'll have none of that anti Semitism round here.
Has a special place for Bercow (that he needs putting in).
I think whoever steps into the job is going to be a bit of a sacrificial goat but they could serve a very useful purpose seeding the ground for a proper roadplan out of the EU and beyond.
And I reckon she could fulfil that better than Raab.

Some other runners
Javid
Hunt
Truss

Why not include a poll?
My money is on Raab.
A jew so that will really wind up the Marxists and a man of principle. Leaving the Brexit Ministers position within days when he was asked to deliver the deal he hadn't even read and was given just as he was about to board a plane to Brussels. That must have really been a kick in the nads for May and her cronies. He also talked well on TV interviews and is widely misquoted out of context for his comments re Dover Port.
Still, why would I want someone to succeed in the tories, I'll be using my membership vote for Rudd.

It will be Boris.......100%

In related News, the Lib Dems have just announced Vince Cable will be standing down and they are also looking for a new leader. According to the BBC, candidates require the support of a minimum of 10% of the Parliamentary Group. So, that means nominated by one person then?! :grin:

Some other runners
Javid
Hunt
Truss

I know it’s the Flat season, but are there any runners and riders who are more adept over the jumps?

Latest Threads