The Western military are clueless about conflict! Fighting talk or true?

Perhaps. The hand grenades in the wine glass thing seems odd. Would a hand grenade fit inside a wine glass? Would a wine glass be strong enough to restrain the firing mechanism of a grenade? Would a helicopter pilot take the risk of finding out by loading up a pile of them and taking them aboard his aircraft?

More experienced operatives than me can say whether such a method of low-rent aerial bombardment would work.
Maybe there were no jam jars available?
Obvs. not to use a champagne coupe

Nope.
You refinance their debt*, with clauses that mean you own their land and minerals, you re-purpose failed projects for your own use, all exploited by your own people. When it goes a bit wobbly, then you sail your aircraft carriers into the area and take your now valuable citizens out of hamrs way (4-2-1 child policy has made them less disposable).

Erik prince's people (and others, including one called Huawei....) are already there making sure your people are safe from the dis-enfranchised locals
Rise of China’s private armies

*thanks Bono & live8, you bunch of idiots, clearing the field of play for chinese neo-colonialist financing
To follow up on this, a more detailed look at China's BRI debt strategy posted on Arrse elsewhere today, which also shows a possible vulnerability

The bit about Chinese expecting a return (iunlike say a Marshall plan) is an interesting one. How much Chinese industrial expansion depends on these growing markets?, and if there is a collapse or countries turn round and chin off the Debt, what would be the 2nd & 3rd order effect domestically?

Where i would link this into the https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/confronting-china-at-sea.297696/ bit is that if logistic overstretch can be stressed further at its limits, as well as requiring China to increase its naval forces with its subsequent economic & sociological burden, it also stresses the economy that under writes this.
If countries choose to ignore Chinese debt and buy from else where, there is only so much they can do from the barrel of their gun

I once suggested to a Brigadier that with the various insurgency and terrorist wars , that we were in the middle of World War 3. Just not the nuclear apocalypse version that we had drummed into us as being the next World War, since the 50’s.
Edited to add, he got really angry for some reason

Last edited:
I once suggested to a Brigadier that with the various insurgency and terrorist wars , that we were in the middle of World War 3. Just not the nuclear apocalypse version that we had drummed into us as being the next World War, since the 50’s.
He obviously hadn't read Esquerra's & Mills'magnum opus strip "Third World War" when Crisis came out as a side publication to 2000ad in the 80s
Its basic premise was that the ongoing Third World War was just post WW2 Low Intensity Conflicts across the Third* world continued to perpetuity, where these countries' natural resources or potential consumers provided the economic underpinning.

* bad neo-colonial non-woke speak for the "Developing world" there

Last edited:
I don’t know what ‘woke’ is, I’m 44
Pro word no wah & Thread drift
Current state of progressive mind: i.e White is bad, Colonialism was bad, and you're descended from them so you're bad, involves also excusing mass hypocrisy and loads and loads of virtue signalling (aka look at how green/woke/humble/down to earth/etc i am )
currently exemplified by Megs & Harry, Duke and Duchess of wokeness

E2A: the man* in the street's reaction to this best exemplified by Lawrence Fox on question time a few nights back

*oops, forgot the whole gender bit there - just google intersectionality and realise that (unless white/male/over40) you can basically make up whatever discrimination you would like to feel outraged or victimised about

Last edited:
Why?

What was his side of the argument?

I’m not sure, I think he was angling for the ‘this is religion based racism’ thing
That’s a very different argument. How did you counter it?

That’s a very different argument. How did you counter it?
I just said what the dictionary definition was, and that the fact that a multi-faceted multi national conflict against a certain ideolgy is the same as WW2s fight against fascism, and then a Cold War against Communism. Someone else stepped in with a subject change at that point

Current state of progressive mind: i.e White is bad, Colonialism was bad, and you're descended from them so you're bad, involves also excusing mass hypocrisy and loads and loads of virtue signalling (aka look at how green/woke/humble/down to earth/etc i am )

E2A: the man* in the street's reaction to this best exemplified by Lawrence Fox on question time a few nights back

*oops, forgot the whole gender bit there - just google intersectionality and realise that (unless white/male/over40) you can basically make up whatever discrimination you would like to feel outraged or victimised about
As I’m a heterosexual male, who is a married with children veteran/serving reservist atheist, who is descended from Saxon pagans and every subsequent generation served in some form of military context since, I’m pretty much fxxked right?

To follow up on this, a more detailed look at China's BRI debt strategy posted on Arrse elsewhere today, which also shows a possible vulnerability

The bit about Chinese expecting a return (iunlike say a Marshall plan) is an interesting one. How much Chinese industrial expansion depends on these growing markets?, and if there is a collapse or countries turn round and chin off the Debt, what would be the 2nd & 3rd order effect domestically?

Where i would link this into the https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/confronting-china-at-sea.297696/ bit is that if logistic overstretch can be stressed further at its limits, as well as requiring China to increase its naval forces with its subsequent economic & sociological burden, it also stresses the economy that under writes this.
If countries choose to ignore Chinese debt and buy from else where, there is only so much they can do from the barrel of their gun
China are making a huge gamble. The first (democratic or otherwise) change of leadership in about half the planet that decides to tell them to poke it and nationalise the infrastructure will leave them with a tough decision. Either use force to collect or do nothing and risk a domino effect. Either way they get to be whitey circa 1956 on steroids in terms of popularity.

As I’m a heterosexual male, who is a married with children veteran/serving reservist atheist, who is descended from Saxon pagans and every subsequent generation served in some form of military context since, I’m pretty much fxxked right?
Pretty much.

Google "White guilt" and select which ever meme seems most apologetic.
As a father, you could also add in Patriarchy for the full burn.

As a taxpayer, you also get the double pleasure of paying for it all AND also being a member of the oppressive plutocracy.

Makes one long for days of the Umbotu Gorge....

Back in the ‘80s, Soldier of Fortune magazine suggested exactly that, an American Foreign Legion.
British Commonwealth legion name checked in this future fiction:

Or as Will Shakespeare put it, "Thou canst not say I did it. Never shake thy gory locks at me." (Macbeth, Act 3 Scene 4) I think however, modern Intelligence Agencies would manage to sound a little more convincing than he did.
Or, to quote Bart Simpson, “it wasn’t me, nobody saw me do it, you can’t prove a thing!”

Yokel

LE
Pretty much.

Google "White guilt" and select which ever meme seems most apologetic.
As a father, you could also add in Patriarchy for the full burn.

As a taxpayer, you also get the double pleasure of paying for it all AND also being a member of the oppressive plutocracy.

Makes one long for days of the Umbotu Gorge....
Or you could say bollocks, accept that the past is a different country, take pride in Britain's involvement in ending the transatlantic slave trade which included deploying ships and getting into fights, take pride in our part in standing up against Nazism and Communism.....

Identity Politics helps nobody.

Or you could say bollocks, accept that the past is a different country, take pride in Britain's involvement in ending the transatlantic slave trade which included deploying ships and getting into fights, take pride in our part in standing up against Nazism and Communism.....

Identity Politics helps nobody.
Yup, this recent survey presents a more accurate picture than the Twittersphere (even if it is from twitter :roll:)

you could say bollocks, accept that the past is a different country, take pride in Britain's involvement in ending the transatlantic slave trade which included deploying ships and getting into fights, take pride in our part in standing up against Nazism and Communism.....
I do believe that the past is the past, for good or bad. What I don't believe are:

1. The present is not affected by the past and that past actions do not have an impact on how the present and future play out.

2. That there's no inconsistency in saying, "I wasn't alive when my ancestors did <bad thing> so can't be blamed" while also saying, "Look at <good thing> my ancestors did. Aren't we great?" We're either not responsible for our nation's past or we are, for good and bad.

of course, this is very much a non-woke individual's view of "woke", exaggerating some or all of the aspects so as to minimise and reduce some fairly interesting thoughts on how we should address the past etc.

Latest Threads