"The Welfare State is behind youth crime"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jon1467, May 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Too right when the little feckers had rickets and polio they didn't go round mugging people.

2. I see nothing wrong with a safety net, but what it should not be is what it's become: a lifestyle choice which has resulted in generations of welfare junkies.

3. There's the key bit.

4. Agreed then. Lets have a safety net for those who fall on hard times, or who genuinely need it, but lets turf some of these characters out of their cushy little lives and get them earning a living - even if it is a small one.

I feel that the dole should be progressive - to enable those on benefit to earn money without losing out completely.

5. Removal of the Welfare State won't resolve much. Those who consider welfare as a God given right will just turn to crime if they haven't already. The Welfare State has made it easy for them to believe that they are entitled to have a free ride. Most low level criminals are those who use welfare as a form of 'statutory sick pay' in between earning their wages through the proceeds of crime (or whatever scams they are involved in), or they are the offspring of such people. The system allows them to do it. The same people are those who are responsible for most of the anti-social behavious that you and I pick up the bill for. They make other people's lives hell and ruin what were once happy communities. And they laugh in your face constantly.

6. I completely agree with the bit I bolded.

7. The dole needs to be completely and utterly abolished and a system of comprehensive means testing and enforcement implemented soonest.

17 Kids? oh bad luck, we can't help.

97 inch widescreen TV in the lounge and Xbox 360 in every bedroom?
    Sorry, can't help.

These scum are bleeding the country dry nd must be stopped.

Shop a benefits cheat today!

8. The welfare state needs completely restructuring. For some it has indeed become a lifestyle choice - we now have the third generation of some families who milk the system for all it's worth believing it to be a right.

9. and while i'm at it, bring back mandatory national service for the "yoof".

10. Bikini_Black is almost dead on with this sentence.

""and a system of comprehensive means testing and enforcement implemented soonest.""

Change the word "means" to "Drug" and I would be with you 100percent

11. Look at it another way, if they were forced to work for their benefits in a form of "state work placements" they'd soon go out out look for jobs.

Once in employment they'll (possibly) be more inclined to be worn out after a day in work and therefore will have little time or energy for their favourite pastimes, eg crime, procreating, drinking, loitering about.

From my experiance, a high proportion of scummy chav youth criminals come from a background of welfare dependant families.

Forcing them to work can only be a good thing, the argument that they'll turn to crime rather than work is a bit weak as a lot of them are criminals anyway.

12. I like the idea of working for benefits. It would probably help if we limited immigration in some way so that they actually had a reasonable supply of bottom end jobs. There are some out there who would bother to get off their arrse, but its a challenge to find that many low wage jobs.

13. Read it this morning and I was pondering the problem and I've come up with two workable (i.e. not national service) ideas.

1. Replace unemployment benefits with a smart card that card only be used for food, utilities, rent, transport and debt repayments. No alcohol or ciggies, and threaten retailers with a £10,000 fine if they do sell those two items via a smart card.

2. Do the same with child benefits, except also allow clothes and educational materials to be purchased.

The telegraph article of course misses the point that the Scandinavian welfare system is far more comprehensive, but they don't have our problems. We simply don't have a caring society, and we never have. People used to be kept in place by class and the threat of poverty, and I don't think that the British national charactor would ever have allowed a system of democratic social cohesion to replace it. We are, and always have been, far too dark and cynical.

14. Some good points here, but also some space filling crap that really doesn't belong here, or anywhere for that matter.

We should round them all up and use them as test subjects in bizarre and painful experiments: that'll teach them.

The internet: allowing thick fcukers to spout crap.