The Weird World Of Military Nicknames

From Forces TV

It’s common enough in civvy street, but it seems that it’s definitely standard issue in the British military. For decades, service personnel have had their names changed the moment they’ve arrived at their first military unit. Usually by a smart-alec superior....

Read the full article at - The Weird World Of Military Nicknames

I can't remember who the RE officer was, who fell into a DTL whilst showing a bunch of sproggy RE officers various kinds of excavation works, but for ever after he was known as "Splosh".

When I worked as a QM's Clerk, the QM always called me SFB. He took great delight in calling me that in front of his visitors. When they (invariably) asked what SFB stood for, he always got me to tell them.

Shiny (formerly known as Shit For Brains)

We had a REME fitter in Hohne who was dubbed "FUB"

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
building trade is full of it
usually its funnier if yer mates name you are some embarrasing incident
I bet a fair few dont make it on to the article !
remember plunger bailey in Spike Milligans books ?

Fugly

LE
DirtyBAT
I was in training with a bloke who was posted together with me to our first unit. He didn't exactly endear himself to the training DS - or anyone else for that matter - however he passed everything and was duly sent out into the wider world. However the DS rang ahead, and he unfortunately arrived there fresh out the box already with the moniker of FONC - Friend Of No Cunt.

Last edited:
I can't remember who the RE officer was, who fell into a DTL whilst showing a bunch of sproggy RE officers various kinds of excavation works, but for ever after he was known as "Splosh".
Sploosh, in our case when we took a prisoner on a night ambush and he found every pool and puddle in the stream we we bugging out up. Blindfold didn't help.
Inflatable because he looked Swarzanegger in his combat jacket and the skinniest twat imaginable when he took it off.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
We had another Irish fella in my last unit. They called him "Paddy". Strange, eh?

MsG

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Had a lad on Exeter who had an epic double chin that looked exactly like an arse.

He was simply known as Bumchin.

Even the skipper called him it.

One of my best mates at school was a little skinny bloke with glasses. He was also a fairly quiet and unassuming type. When were were in 2nd year one of the 5th formers christened him "Killer" which was alliterative because his surname also begins with K.

Hence he was known as "Killer K....." by all and sundry, and still occasionally is, to the point where his mum once called him Killer in my presence. 47 years on and our whole family still calls him Killer.

FLUB for one guy in the squad ahead of me. Fat Lazy Useless Bastard!!

One of my best mates at school was a little skinny bloke with glasses. He was also a fairly quiet and unassuming type. When were were in 2nd year one of the 5th formers christened him "Killer" which was alliterative because his surname also begins with K.

Hence he was known as "Killer K....." by all and sundry, and still occasionally is, to the point where his mum once called him Killer in my presence. 47 years on and our whole family still calls him Killer.
We had a games teacher who used to like doling out nicknames. One of his better efforts was Robert Louis a student who had the misfortune of being yellow.
Hence, Hong Kong Louis. Good for a giggle.

L

lumpy2

We had a "Stan" Easey, a "Chippy" and a "Soapy" whose origins are lost in the mists of time, and almost nobody knew their real first names!

We also had a chap who was known as "Fudgepacker" by everyone from the CO downwards, although I don't think there was any evidence to support this unfortunate moniker.