The "we haven't left yet" EU election thread.

EU election straw poll

• UKIP

Votes: 119 62.6%
  • Labour

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Conservative

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Green

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • Plaid Cymru

• DUP

• Spoil Ballot paper

Votes: 17 8.9%
  • Can't be ARRSED to vote

Votes: 15 7.9%

• Total voters
And of course the Remain propaganda was squeaky clean want it? Starting off with the booklet sent to every household, at a cost of £9million to the taxpayer and was not declared as campaign spending! Yes, wonderful virtuous chaps and chapesses those Remainers*:rolleyes:

*BTW, if you really believe that statement then you should have the vote taken away from you!
I was of course making no comment about the Remain campaign, because that isn't what we were talking about.

Not really muddied I believe that they were taking the view that of course there would be a sensible arrangement because there was a lot of history between us and there was and is a lot of two way trade, also they were trying to counter all the cries of the fear mongers who predicted the end of the world as soon as we voted never mind actually leaving. which you must agree didn't happen.
Ok they might have been looking a bit through rose tinted specs but why shouldn't they, what was being asked wasn't unreasonable all we wanted was the thing that was first oromised, trade not federation, there has been 40 years of Britain being reluctantly dragged along with the machinations of the eu as they progressed to what they are now and clearly there wasn't that much appetite in Britain for that.
There wasn't then and still isn't now any reason for there not to be a sensible trade agreement other than the eu trying to punish us for leaving their great dream.
Again you have some valid sentiments. But I think we have agreed that there was a gap between the simple binary choice expressed on the ballot card and what people's expectations were of the outcome.

Balls from Balls - pathetic.
(Ditto the 'dumb' from Baglock - if inevitable)
Balls needs a f*cking good slap.

No one in their right mind should be connecting the murder of Jo Cox to a statement by another politico.

that's why the murderer of Jo Cox was indeed as mad as a box of frogs.

all I took 'the fear of god' bit to mean is the threat of leaving the gravy train.

obviously dangerously mental people may read more into it... Like @Bagl0ck.

Last edited:
Again you have some valid sentiments. But I think we have agreed that there was a gap between the simple binary choice expressed on the ballot card and what people's expectations were of the outcome.
You may think that, I do not but it's all semantics, the vote was cast and a result was found. The question was simply in or out, and as with any other vote people's expectations do not matter, my expectations on many votes in the past have not been met, but that's what democracy is all about, the wishes of the many take precedence.
Upon that result laws were made and so were promises, those promises were and are legally binding. The government and parliament passed laws requiring us to leave the eu, there was no mention in those laws of any deal, now certain members of parliament who do not agree with the law are trying to break it and using parliamentary privilege to protect themselves as they do so, those people have no validity to do what they are doing, this now has gone way past Brexit and become a more fundamental issue about our way of governance.

Talks about picking up a rifle and other language, MPs are being harassed and receiving death threats from hard right loons.

It's not smear. It's a fact that Nigel Farage inspires and gives hard right nutters a feeling of legitimatcy
You really are a whiny little neo-liberal loon.

There remains the problem of the bad blood that exists between them. I cannot see their respective representatives showing a united front. I see something quite the opposite happening, in fact.

The hard right in the UK has a history of the sort of factionalism and division that has not been seen outside of the history of the Scottish kirk.
Or the hard left.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Your evidence for that comes from where? And please don't use the MPs who are going against the wishes of their constituency to vote against their declared position if Leave!

He should tone down the talk of rifles etc.
He should also tone down the talk of 'donning khaki' and heading for the 'front lines'.

We should be told where these 'front lines' are, as we don't want those of a nervous disposition to venture anywhere near them, when they only joined the TA for the dressing up.

You may think that, I do not but it's all semantics, the vote was cast and a result was found. The question was simply in or out, and as with any other vote people's expectations do not matter, my expectations on many votes in the past have not been met, but that's what democracy is all about, the wishes of the many take precedence.
Upon that result laws were made and so were promises, those promises were and are legally binding. The government and parliament passed laws requiring us to leave the eu, there was no mention in those laws of any deal, now certain members of parliament who do not agree with the law are trying to break it and using parliamentary privilege to protect themselves as they do so, those people have no validity to do what they are doing, this now has gone way past Brexit and become a more fundamental issue about our way of governance.
I believe that they were taking the view that of course there would be a sensible arrangement because there was a lot of history between us and there was and is a lot of two way trade...

...what was being asked wasn't unreasonable all we wanted was the thing that was first oromised, trade not federation...

...There wasn't then and still isn't now any reason for there not to be a sensible trade agreement ...
All your words.

The problem is that the design of referenda requires them to be distilled down into a simple binary question. But it wasn't simple. And all that stuff about how Brexit would be a no-pain solution with continued access to trade etc (as per your own words above) meant that the choices on the card didn't reflect what was likely to happen.

You use the phrase "it's all semantics" in a throwaway fashion to discount the import of this. The trouble is, it WAS all about the semantics.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
You need to follow the conversation and take account of things we've talked about before.
A few Remainers on Arrse do not a population make!

I may be wrong*, and others may wish to point out where, but I think I have followed this, and other threads on Brexit, quite closely!

* I know, this will come as a shock to many of you o_O

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
He should also tone down the talk of 'donning khaki' and heading for the 'front lines'.

We should be told where these 'front lines' are, as we don't want those of a nervous disposition to venture anywhere near them, when they only joined the TA for the dressing up.
Quite right! We haven't worn khaki for decades!

It looks increasingly likely that we will now have to vote in the EU elections, so I thought an ARRSE straw poll is in order.

How UK is gearing up for European elections

Personally I think they are a total waste of time and money and I am torn between spoiling my ballot paper or voting UKIP to upset the European parliament (and our own main parties)

edited to add. In the last EU elections Sinn Fein and the UUP also got a seat each. However the poll will not allow me to enter any more choices so if you are voting for either of them you can say so, but I think you might be on the wrong website if you do!
if you want a true reflection then i suggest you get rid of plaid or the greens and put in the brexit party - otherwise your poll is completely useless

it could convince silly people to join isis...

Ta? Surely all reservists deploy when called/volunteer. They'd have to be pretty poor reservists not to. May as well join the uotc.

Latest Threads