• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

The way our Army treats its soldiers

Someone should have told this para that he was doing a second duty. That is, he was selected to be a scapegoat for political ends so that the "powers that be" can report they are acting beyond reproach.

That they are not soldiering out of control, mistreating prisioners, breaching rights and so forth.

I hope now he is able to write a book, or do something, to get some sort of closure (and cash) from the experience.

Wait a second here, do we have all the information?

Was he a trained and authorised interrogator? Anyone who's been involved with the enemy in Afghanistan knows that they cannot question or interrogate prisoners unless trained and authorised.

If he was disciplined for ignoring this regulation then that is right and proper.

Don't forget, the 'Army' doesn't treat soldiers badly. It can't, because the 'Army' is an organisation, comprised of systems and policies created and inplemented by individuals of varying rank, experience and knowledge. Therefore the question should be 'do the individuals in the Army care about their soldiers?'.

This constant Blaming of the Army annoys me when in reality it's poor decisions by those in it that are to blame.

Anyway, as someone said above we probably don't have all the info. People don't press for charges for no reason.

Was he a trained and authorised interrogator? Anyone who's been involved with the enemy in Afghanistan knows that they cannot question or interrogate prisoners unless trained and authorised.

If he was disciplined for ignoring this regulation then that is right and proper.
It does state that he was a trained TQ, Dingerr

The Army as to investigate complaints fairly and look at both sides of the story and as to act sensitively with regards to allegations made by both sides .

The point that I was trying to make was that the judge threw it out of court, surely the CO should have done the same. We had this fiasco with Mendonca a few years back and even 40 years ago with Wilford. COs need to start taking responsibility once in a while.

B

Biscuits_AB

The point that I was trying to make was that the judge threw it out of court, surely the CO should have done the same. We had this fiasco with Mendonca a few years back and even 40 years ago with Wilford. COs need to start taking responsibility once in a while.
That would require a level of moral courage though. The CO should have told Army Legal to park it.

Anyway, as someone said above we probably don't have all the info. People don't press for charges for no reason.
The Army as to investigate complaints fairly and look at both sides of the story and as to act sensitively with regards to allegations made by both sides .
what allegation? Ahmed Wali (the bloke that was detained and punched) indicated that he did not wish to make a formal complaint. (He was later released and efforts to trace him have failed).

The Army were the only ones who wanted to push for charges

Bloody Hell...It's all do with PC. Best I ever heard was from an ex-German Officer after the 2nd World War. "We knew that to be captured by the British was the best. You might get the odd punch or kick but compared with the Russians or the Americans this was nothing. We knew that torture or the murder of prisoners was not part of their make-up. It was alien to them. So yes...we got the odd kick or punch but so what....a bullet in the neck from the Russians or a rope from the Amis?? Which would you prefer?" Lt. ****** . (ex SS).

Ohhh! And bye the bye in case anyone thinks I'm drawing the "long bow" in talking with an ex SS Lt. Anyone who has served in Germany will have met similar stories. Another story springs to mind of an ex-Luftwaffe Pilot who took us for a flight around Bad Lippsringe. An ex- Stuka pilot begod.! Bombed the crap out of the Russkis on the Eastern Front. Don't recall his name but still have a photo. Happy Days!

Latest Threads