The Wars Against Saddam by John Simpson

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Mr Happy, Oct 5, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

If you want a really really really good read, with lots of political views, motivators, back channel communications and general pro-Britfor anti-US Gungho then you'll want to read this book.

It's easy to read, all experience based, very little in the way of high brow analysis but rather putting the facts as he knows them at your finger-tips and inviting you to form a conclusion for yourself. JS has clearly a lot of knowledge and very little of it gets to come out in his reports but for a man that seems to know a lot on camera, on paper he is mastermind. I particularly noted that there was no angle or argument un-mentioned, in early 2003 I wrote on Arrse about the EUR becoming the new oil-currency rather than the dollar (Iraq changed in 2001 and Opec is/was discussing it), to do so could/would have devalued the dollar considerably - he even mentions that in a paragraph (not the arrse bit, just the euro - dollar argument) which shows to me the depth of knowledge that he has.

The book covers the rise of Saddam, the Iran Iraq war, the rape of Kuwait, GW1 and GW2 it's available now from amazon at

for 6.39 which seems quite reasonable.

Highly recommended. Anyone wishing to discuss some of points?
  2. Have to confess Mrs LWM highly commends it...........
  3. Thoroughly good read. I read George Galloway's "I'm not the only one" straight after it. They both refer to each other and you get two sides to Saddam. Galloway's opinion and views about Iraq are not what you would immediately expect. Am currently half way through Rageh Omaar's "Revolution Day".
  4. Did I read a completely different book?

I thought it was the most anti-military (not just US) pile of trite self-absorbed blollocks I have read in eons. Couple that with some of his choice quotations in the disgusting BBC so-called documentary, such as 'soldiers, if they think they can get away with it, would be quite happy to shoot members of the press' puts this bloke in the uber-hand-pump category.

but maybe it's just me.
  5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I don't know, which book are you talking about? Simpson's, Galloway's or Omaar's?
  6. Thought the thread was a John Simpson thread.
  7. So this would be Gorgeous George's book on Saddam - AFTER his fall from grace.

methinks anything written by that weggie fck would not be worth the paper it was written on. This is the same chap who encourages Iraqi's to kill Brit soldiers remember! :evil:
  8. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

In that case yes, you've either read a different book or have been moderating for too long.

If you want to spell out the pages/chapters when you think Simpson said this then go ahead but as this threads initiator I didn't see anything that slagged off Britfor, he did however slag USFor considerably - which I rather liked - I could give him some more stories if he'd have liked too.
  9. hands up who would quite happy see a member of the press get shot ?
    think he bang on the nail then . but see the pit thread to see who else we would kill if we could get away with it .
  10. Since the thread started, the price has gone down!! Now it's 40% off and costs GBP4.79. Same link from first post - enjoy the read!
  11. So I just found out, just bought Mrs WH a copy for Christmas :wink:
  12. just picked up a copy for £1.50 :lol:
  13. I see an Amazon reviewer wrote
    So, what's wrong with that?
  14. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I think Simpson was implying that they're more likely to shoot a civvie than take on a fraction of extra risk. The LOAC being interpreted laxly (sp).
  15. Good book with fairly laid out arguments and no pro or anti american/war stance!

just tells it how he saw it

agent smith