The War we dont see

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jim24, Dec 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Just started on ITV and looks very interesting, how the news in modern warefare is manipulated bu government
  2. It was on in the background and asumed it was the BBC, must admit I was surprised it wasn't. I then discovered I was missing Frankie Boyle so turned it over......
  3. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

"The British elite do not want the public to know what they are up to" says it all really
  4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

worth watching without the ads I reckon, I rate John Pilger very highly.
  5. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Surprised not to see more comment about this. A lot was dealing with seemingly blind media support for gw2 - why weren't more questions asked or attention given to voices of dissent. There was though a lot thrown at British foreign policy since ww2 and at the military.

Clearly one sided at points and smacked of conspiracy theories at others, but i thought i would come on this morning to find the brains of arrse debating 'am I the tool of an aggressive state and a baby killer'.

Posted from my mobile using tapatalk

Afterthought: despite the slightly tedious 'why didn't you know better' questions to prominent journalists, it was very interesting in raising concerns about how free our free press is in reality when dealing with military and foreign policy issues. Of course a common answer to the 'why didn't you know better' was basically 'because we were reporting the voices of reputable leaders'. Ahh yes, trusting our foreign policy under Blair. Most of the military fell for that one too.
  6. Paras don't mind at all to be honest :)

Makes you think though whether what we do is morally ethical considering we're just tools used by a corrupt government. Pays the bills though so who cares?
  7. Whilst I am happy to be a tool of an aggressive state, the opportunity to kill babies has not presented itself so I feel incomplete.:cry:

8. On the subject or moral and ethical considerations. Should babies be cooked first or eaten raw after you've killed them?
  9. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

And in my case a f@king good pension
  10. Didn´t this happen with the Falklands War,IIRC only selected journo´s were allowed on the Island and their reports were minutely scrutinied before being allowed to be published.

The imbedded reporters in Iraq were also vetted so independant reporting from freelance reporters and photographers that was rife in Viet-Nam just isn´t going to happen again.

Do the public really want to know what´s really happening,I fcuking doubt it as most don´t give a flying fcuk as long as they get their beer and fags on time and the telly don´t go on the blink!
  11. It would be good to know what is happening and why though the eyes of an objective , intelligent and well-informed reporter (if such a thing ever existed) but without risk to PerSec or OpSec. I get my intel' from mates still serving but , colourful and personally accurate as it is, it ain't objective and unemotional.

I think people should be made to watch what is going on in all of our names. It's all so ****ing nasty and messy and taking a physical and psychological toll on so many good people (and their injuries are something we will all need to deal with in some form or other over the years) and financial cost to all that the cause has to be justified beyond all doubt or we have to get out of it.

12. I thought the programme was an appalling piece of journalism. Pilger and those he was interviewing were allowed to make statements without qualification and clearly without balance.

Pilger very much represents "the Left's" ethos that they are right because they are right. No room for shades of grey or complexity.

I thought towards the end one of the interviewees statement about how the Public are being kept in the dark etc etc could have been lifted straight from the X files and what was more laughable was Pilger's failure to seek further qualification on the statement instead he just nodded in that trapped-in-the-seventies way that senior left wing individuals tend to do.

Couple of other points

Wiki Leaks - I love the way that because Assange is doing what he is doing the left automatically assume that he must be on their side or that what he is doing is right.

As many other ARRSERS have said - there are no conspiracies just a COC which only inform those that have reached the correct rank or grade. Nothing more.

Who is Pilger working for BTW?
  13. I didnt see the program, however what free press do we have? Rupert Murdochs empire does whatever is best for it, its never cared about the truth, just about every other news outlet is the same. Even the BBC can be held to ransom with TV license.
    We had a couple of embedded reporters with us on Telic 1 what their personal view was and what got reported were two different things.
    I remember the Mirror not having a good view of the Telic although it mainly seemed anti army rather than anything else.
  14. Look at his biography on wiki

15. Seen. Another trustafarian trapped in the seventies just as I suspected.