The war on underage drinking continues...

#2
Ha ha what a bunch of muppets, bloody jobsworths who need a kick in the arrse.

From their website "Around 9 million customers shop with Morrisons each week and it is our mission to ensure every single one of them receives unbeatable customer service, as well as the very best value for money on their weekly shopping, wherever they live." Yeah right.....
 
#4
Had a similar experience in Waitrose. Whilst trying to buy some wine was asked for proof of age (I'm in my 30's...just) and when I laughed and asked her if she was serious she said it was because I am short!!! How's that for customer service :roll:
 
#5
a_nony_mouse said:
Had a similar experience in Waitrose. Whilst trying to buy some wine was asked for proof of age (I'm in my 30's...just) and when I laughed and asked her if she was serious she said it was because I am short!!! How's that for customer service :roll:
I'd have pointed out how stupid she was and walked out telling them they've lost my business.

I think its more just plain stupidity and a failure of chavs to be able to think for themselves. I remember when me and my then Dutch girlfriend were off to Tennerife from Manchester and the dozy bint at check-in had to confirm my GF didn't need a visa to go there. I tried to point out to the chav bint that it was part of Spain and in the EU but she said 'I need to check anyway'. :roll:
 
#6
at this time im working for M&S (incoming?) in my training i was told, 'if you think they could be under 21 then ask for ID, if they have grey hair then of course you dont need to ask for ID'

iv served many people the good stuff, and i havnt seen/had the need to ask for ID

is my training wrong, or are other stores pitty?

everyone shop at M&S a shop with common sence
 
#7
The law actually says something along the lines of "if a reasonable person would not suspect they are under the age of 18 by looking at their appearance then no offence takes place". (s.147 licensing act 2003) - So all this moral panic "challenge 21" muppetry really quite annoys me.

I was buying a load of shopping which included eggs salmon and a half bottle of champagne for my GF's birthday breakfast some months ago and was challenged. I said I didn't have anything to prove it except a student card, which wasn't acceptable apparently. I exmplained the fact that I don't "look" under 18 and what the half bottle of champagne was for and the fact that I'm hardly Mr binge-drinking Barry McChav.

Did it cut any ice?








No. bastewards. - the missus never did get her champagne....
 
#8
I know someone who was told he couldn't use his military ID either - because the girl on the checkout didn't know what they were, fair enough you might think but the shop was about 5 mins away from a base - half their business must have come from military types.
 
#9
When I was a wee nipper a friend of mine who was still 17 got served all the time. Even when he got ID'd and got out his actuall driving licence they never did the Math! Didn't work once though, they said the picture didn't look like him....

I on the other hand get ID'd more and more the older I get.


T C
 
#10
I work for Trading Standards, which means part of my civvy job is underage sales (knives, alcohol, tobacco, etc) and we are legislated to carry out test purchases using underage volunteers. As a profession, Trading Standards (and Central Government) promotes "Think 21" policies. This means that if a person appears to be under 21, ask them to prove they are 18. This gives a 3 year buffer zone where a seller can make an error of judgement and still stay within the law.

The Think 21 style policy seems to have been misconstrued (spelling?) in the Morrisons case. Agreed, it seems ridiculous. The store in question is only a few miles from where I live, and you'll be glad to hear that the bloke left his trolley full of food and buggered off to the nearest Sainsbury's!
 
#11
Ord_Sgt said:
Ha ha what a bunch of muppets, bloody jobsworths who need a kick in the arrse.

From their website "Around 9 million customers shop with Morrisons each week and it is our mission to ensure every single one of them receives unbeatable customer service, as well as the very best value for money on their weekly shopping, wherever they live." Yeah right.....
My bold
Ord_Sgt you must also work for the glorious company to have such an accurate diagnosis
 
#12
Bushnut said:
I work for Trading Standards, which means part of my civvy job is underage sales (knives, alcohol, tobacco, etc) and we are legislated to carry out test purchases using underage volunteers. As a profession, Trading Standards (and Central Government) promotes "Think 21" policies. This means that if a person appears to be under 21, ask them to prove they are 18. This gives a 3 year buffer zone where a seller can make an error of judgement and still stay within the law.

The Think 21 style policy seems to have been misconstrued (spelling?) in the Morrisons case. Agreed, it seems ridiculous. The store in question is only a few miles from where I live, and you'll be glad to hear that the bloke left his trolley full of food and buggered off to the nearest Sainsbury's!

But an "error of judgement" is already written into the law, according to S.147 of the Lisencing act if someone looks "over 18" and a reasonable person wouldn't have put them under that age they have a defence in law; this over 21 thing is thus redundant.

As for people not accepting mod90s or whatever, I find that all a load of bull aswell, as the law makes provision for shopwokers/publicans etc to take "reasonable steps" to ascertain the customers age. If they are given some official ID (of whatever nature~) or something that bascially isn't obviously false, then they have a defence if that person turns out to be too young. The young 'un has committed the offence of fraud in that case.

To be perfetly honest its all a load of bull anyway, part of some great moral panic against the evils of alcohol. Who cares if a 17 year old is sitting in the pub with a pint quietly.... I'd rather have him in my boozer than some tanked up loadmouth chav.
 
#13
I was under the impression that Challenge 21 just meant that if you look like you're under 21, they need to ID you? Surely they cannot be denying the sale of alcohol to people if they are 18, 19 or 20.

Please tell me the BBC have just misquoted.
 
#14
Not forgetting of course that the legal age for drinking alcohol is 5.

I know you have to be 18 to buy the stuff but you can get as nissed as a pewt at 6 if your parents let you.

You can even get shitfaced at lunchtime in a cafe at 16 if you drink only beer and cider.

So this "look 21" is like a lot of UK laws, rubbish and nearly unenforceable.
 
#15
the "challenge 21" is not a law...its a guidline, and a cr@p one at that.
 
#16
I have a friend who is 29 but looks about 20 (lucky sod). We were in Asda and she was buying wine only to be asked to prove her age.She couldn't, so she handed me the money, I handed it to the checkout woman, she handed me the change, I handed it to my friend. We did this quite deliberately in front of the operator to make her see how ridiculous it was.Surely this should not have been acceptable and defeated the purpose of asking her to prove her age? If they were really serious about no under age sales , then doesn't that also cover buying alcohol for persons under age. Therefore she should have confronted me for helping someone she suspected of being under age buy alcohol. Seems like the staff should be better trained in most establishments.
 
#17
When I was a student somemates and I tried to get into a club and only had our student cards as ID. The bouncer wouldn't let my mate in as it didn't have his DoB.

His reason,
"You might be one of them child genius' and have gone to uni at 16." You can't fault that logic.

To be fair most of the checkout girls I met can bearly read let alone make an informed choice on their own.
 
#18
bensonby said:
the "challenge 21" is not a law...its a guidline, and a cr@p one at that.
Yeah thats what I meant, must still be drunk :p
 
#19
halomonkey said:
I have a friend who is 29 but looks about 20 (lucky sod). We were in Asda and she was buying wine only to be asked to prove her age.She couldn't, so she handed me the money, I handed it to the checkout woman, she handed me the change, I handed it to my friend. We did this quite deliberately in front of the operator to make her see how ridiculous it was.Surely this should not have been acceptable and defeated the purpose of asking her to prove her age? If they were really serious about no under age sales , then doesn't that also cover buying alcohol for persons under age. Therefore she should have confronted me for helping someone she suspected of being under age buy alcohol. Seems like the staff should be better trained in most establishments.
Wouldn't disagree that the staff need to be better brained but they aren't allowed to stop you buying beer, wine and cider for those over 16 so long as they drink it whilst having a meal or in their own homes.
 

Latest Threads

Top