The War on Terror

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Bert, Mar 13, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. US launches new Afghan operation:

making it sound like they are helping Granny's cross the road.
  2. Nowt more to be said mate :D
  3. Nice idea but i'm sure it'll not be too difficult to cross the rather desolate Afghano-Pakistani border.

I suspect the mountains will cause more of a problem than the troops sent to stop terrorists getting through.
  4. Is that you mum in the photie CiG?
  5. what, CiG took those photographs?
  6. Was just scared thinking about crossing that border!!
  7. No, my uncle went there a few years ago and so i'd heard what the country in that area was like, i thought i'd tap it into google to find some evidence to put on my post here. Those mountains are formidable, i would hate to be tasked with sealing them against small groups of determined terrorists. They would likely know the places to cross better then we would unless we could find reliable guides from the area. (Which is a vast area requiring many troops to cover.)

It looks beautiful though, pity that i've never been there, looks like some good climbing too. Off to Snowdon in March, we are climbing it three times in one day just to prove we can do it, hmm, yes we are sad.
    :D though!

I suspect they are either bluffing over sealing the border or are not telling us how many thousands of troops they are having to commit. Ideas as to which anyone?

8. I would have thought that mountains weren't too difficult to keep covered. If modern NV optics and thermal imaging is made available that is. Mountains restrict access to either very determined experts or restrict the rest to select passes and valleys.

The photos show vast wide open areas at the foot of the mountains. I would have thought anyone crossing would leave themselves sticking out like a sore thumb and inviting investigation. An OP on the other hand could be well hidden and cover a very large arc.
  9. Perhaps not a very reliable arc though, conditions mist-up and snow falls. Besides, the mountain range is hundreds of miles long and the local populace will know all the ridges and crevasses which you can ascend without being seen from either side.

Also, yes, there is often (but not always) a flat and very open ground at the base of the mountains but it would be difficult to discern between a tatty group of dishevelled shepherds and a tatty group of dishevelled terrorists. They may both have livestock with them and both be carrying some form of rifle.
    (Shepherds apparrently use rifles to keep wolves from their livestock.)
  10. msr

msr LE

11. I take it you've never seen the world through hi-powered optics with thermal imaging then?

Imagine the senario...... one of a line of hundreds of OP's spots 'shepard' coming down the mountain several miles off. Calls in heliborne QRF who take minutes to confirm or otherwise.

Lots of OP's and lots of helicopters, but it is possible if the US want to throw money at it.
  12. :D
    YAY!!!!! Got my medal for OP FINGAL 1 today!!! (2 years late!!!)[/b]
  13. Kel

Kel Old-Salt

What are the conditions over there now ie accomodation, kit etc as I was thinking of volunteering for a tour over there.
  14. [quote="Civilian_In_Green]I suspect the mountains will cause more of a problem than the troops sent to stop terrorists getting through.[/quote]
    That's a couple of good pics you posted CIG.
    I think I may have found my next Adv Trg exped!!

15. Waziristan was never totally subdued, even by the Brits who designated it a 'Tribal Area' and used it as a buffer between Afghanistan and what was then British India.

The Army in India spent the 1930s and early 1940s chasing a guy called the Fakir of Ip around the same region, a charismatic character who declared Jihad against the Infidels. He was never caught. How history repeats itself! I remember the old India hands comparing operations in the Radfan to operations in the NWFP though on a smaller scale. And that was difficult enough.

John Masters in the closing chapters of his book "Bugles And A Tiger" describes a Battalion sized Op' in that same area in 1940. I wonder how enthusiastic the Pakistani troops currently conducting operations in that area are given that a large percentage of their army are recruited from those same tribes they are fighting.