The war in AFG is actually a war with Pakistan - except the PAK Govt.

Not really. It just shows how large England is compared to the other countries in the UK. Whilst fairly easy to recruit from, say, Wales, into the Welsh Guards and retain the local history of regimental recruiting, be a bit difficult to maintain the locality if you recruited from all over England, hence the county traditions in English regiments. Having the English Guards makes no sense. Even the larger "English" regiments tended to put people from the same regions into the various battalions. It just shows that Wales, Scotland and Ireland were regarded on a par with an English county (even down to the Durham Light Infantry).
So don't get all bazzy about not having English in the title.
Good point, shame you forgot that the Irish and Scots all had county regiments in addition to 'National' regiments that the English have NEVER had.

There's nothing 'bazzy about it, it's just a simple statement of fact and accuracy

Good point, shame you forgot that the Irish and Scots all had county regiments in addition to 'National' regiments that the English have NEVER had.

There's nothing 'bazzy about it, it's just a simple statement of fact and accuracy
You seem dreadfully precious about the English label. Why is that?

You seem dreadfully precious about the English label. Why is that?
Not at all.

"We don't break the British Armed Forces into the various nationalities that serve in it."

That's what's being discussed at the moment, and it's factualy inaccurate.

The British Army has been broken down into its various nationalities, but there's never been an 'English' regiment. And even when we had inf divisions, there was never an 'English Division' there was a 'Scottish Division' though.

Strange that. All of the ones you've mentioned with 'Irish', 'Scots' or 'Welsh/Welch' in their names all had highly-localised recruitment footprints. They weren't 'National' regiments, they just happened to have titles with the nation's name in them.

Since the names were more or less assigned as a result of the Childers reforms, treating Scotland, Ireland and Wales as just more regions of the supposedly-united Kingdom can be pinned squarely on the UK-level government and army authorities.

Not at all.

"We don't break the British Armed Forces into the various nationalities that serve in it."

That's what's being discussed at the moment, and it's factualy inaccurate.

The British Army has been broken down into its various nationalities, but there's never been an 'English' regiment. And even when we had inf divisions, there was never an 'English Division' there was a 'Scottish Division' though.
Still seems precious to me. Have you looked at the population levels or any history or are you EDL?

Strange that. All of the ones you've mentioned with 'Irish', 'Scots' or 'Welsh/Welch' in their names all had highly-localised recruitment footprints. They weren't 'National' regiments, they just happened to have titles with the nation's name in them.

Since the names were more or less assigned as a result of the Childers reforms, treating Scotland, Ireland and Wales as just more regions of the supposedly-united Kingdom can be pinned squarely on the UK-level government and army authorities.
Quite so, but what is the perception of people on the street? QDG, 'the Welsh Cavalry, ScotsDG, 'Scotland's Cavalry', need I say more? Like it or not, the powers that be have always broken down the British Army by the locations they recruit from at regimentle level or were grouped at by Brigades at one point.

Get use to it, the notion that the British Army hasn't been broken down by National and regional and county locations is wrong. End of.

Still seems precious to me. Have you looked at the population levels or any history or are you EDL?
Can you expand that point in context of, "We don't break the British Armed Forces into the various nationalities that serve in it, is wrong", which is my point.

Quite so, but what is the perception of people on the street?
That X Factor is a worthwhile piece of televisual entertainment and Lanzarote a great place to go for holiday. People on the street are usually ignorant cretins.

QDG, 'the Welsh Cavalry, ScotsDG, 'Scotland's Cavalry', need I say more? Like it or not, the powers that be have always broken down the British Army by the locations they recruit from at regimentle level or were grouped at by Brigades at one point.

Get use to it, the notion that the British Army hasn't been broken down by National and regional and county locations is wrong. End of.
So you’re getting pissy about regional breakdown applying to the entire British Army equally why, exactly?

Back on topic, though.

No, not a war against Pakistan, though there are powerful elements in the border regions. No great change from the days of the North West Frontier and Kipling.

That X Factor is a worthwhile piece of televisual entertainment and Lanzarote a great place to go for holiday. People on the street are usually ignorant cretins.

So you’re getting pissy about regional breakdown applying to the entire British Army equally why, exactly?
Not at all. The point under discussion is, "We don't break the British Armed Forces into the various nationalities that serve in it". I say that's wrong. I have given supporting fact to my opinion. I have yet to hear anything which challenges it.

Do I need to make that any clearer for you?

Perhaps we should nuke the ISI and see what happens, I think everyone involved would be happier, Pakistan included

Atleast he didn't mention the the green jackets!
Why would I in this context. They're not broken down by nationalities. Though they did break down one Danish national with a shovel IIRC... :-D

Not at all. The point under discussion is, "We don't break the British Armed Forces into the various nationalities that serve in it". I say that's wrong. I have given supporting fact to my opinion. I have yet to hear anything which challenges it.

Do I need to make that any clearer for you?
You've yet to prove that there are 'national' units within the British Army, yes. The recruitment areas are broken down into regions, and with the exception of certain regiments of Foot Guards, none are a whole nation. Even in those Guards regiments, the recruitment area isn't exclusive.

When you can prove that there's never been a single Englishman served in a Scottish regiment, Lowlander served in a Highland regiment or Irishman served in a Welsh regiment, I may concede your point. Until then, I'll continue to consider it chippishness.

T

Tinman74

Why would I in this context. They're not broken down by nationalities. Though they did break down one Danish national with a shovel IIRC... :-D
Many nationalities join the infantry, jock, scouse, geordie, coockeny,welsh,Fujian,Aussies,south Africans... Et al. Culture and comradeship.