The Walt(?) who Saved a Thousand Lives

Sixty thousand, actually, if you go by this WaPo article:

On May 14, 2008, President Bashir's Sudanese armed forces razed Abyei, killing hundreds of civilians and displacing more than 30,000 into the bush. Templeton's "humanitarian corridor," according to Kuall Deng of the U.N. Mission in Sudan, "worked as it was supposed to and saved many thousands." On June 6, Templeton returned to Abyei, where he was assigned by the Sudanese Reconstruction and Rehabilitation Committee as the liaison between the SPLA and the NGO community. Recent reports suggest that the bulk of Abyei's Dinka and Christian citizens have fallen back to Agok, awaiting the referendum in 2011, while most of the Missiriya have relocated to Abyei's outskirts. As of this writing, Abyei is all but deserted.
Stefan Templeton seems quite the hero. Still, there's something walt-ish about him, isn't there?
Two weeks earlier: I am standing in Stefan Templeton's Mount Pleasant living room.

"What's that stand for?" I ask. His combat boots, tan and well-worn, about to be packed into his duffel bag, have the letters A+/NKDA Sharpied across the back. He folds his satellite phone into the bag, his massive frame hunched over what looks like an Army-Navy surplus sale.

"Blood type, no known drug allergies. In case I can't speak for myself."

I notice a parabolic listening device in a plastic Domke case, a cattle prod, an EMT bag, a flak jacket and shortwave radio gear. I don't know of any humanitarians who have cattle prods and listening devices, but, then again, I don't know any humanitarians.
Although I wasn't able to verify it, Templeton said that at the institute, divers who showed promise were quietly trained in underwater military operations by the instructors. According to Templeton, his instructors told him that if he underwent this specialized training, his tuition would be waived, on one condition: He'd have to agree to sign on as a NATO frogman at the end of his enrollment. Templeton wanted the skills ¿ he was a junkie for all things tactical. But on the eve of the completion of his studies, he decided that the structure of a life in the military was not something he could abide, so he snuck out of the barracks. With money borrowed from his grandmother, he made his way to the Scottish highlands, where he studied downed-aircraft water rescue, firefighting and emergency medical training for divers through Scotland's Robert Gordon University and its adjuncts. There was rappelling. Fire. Action.
Have I discovered the world's first heroic Walt?

Can't comment on the french diving/NATO frogman thing, but a casual reader would assume that 'Oxford's St Clare's College' is part of the University. It isn't.

Also I don't buy that he's teaching the South Sudanese anything they don't already know; these guys were mounting division strength attacks before the ceasefire. The world really doesn't need enthusiastic amateurs running around these places.

EDIT: And his mixing of 'humanitarian' and 'military' assisstance is particularly dangerous to NGOs operating in Sudan; enough MSF and Red Cross convoys have been shot up already without this eejit contributing to it.

maybe i'm just cynical, but some bits stand out more than others...

Before I can ask, he answers, "Satellite images of the SAF [Bashir's Sudanese armed forces] lined up just outside Abyei."

"Where'd you get these?" I ask. He shrugs, folding the map quickly as some villagers approach. I don't press the issue, but note that he clearly enjoys the aura of being the expert with classified information.
"First, we welcome you with God." That's as good as it gets. "But who are you to tell us about humanitarian responsibilities? This is not our concern. We are the army. We have our chain of command; we are not in the humanitarian business. You talk as if you have information about some military operations & problems that are coming, things we don't know about. If you have information, tell us, but not in riddles about smoke. Otherwise, take your concerns to the civil authorities."
I began to suspect that Templeton hadn't always been a humanitarian. Ask him what he did before he got "the calling," and he'll sigh, chew at his lower lip and thousand-yard stare into the distance. "It's a long story."
"Stefan Templeton's no hero," says Pam Menefee, the vice president of Paramedics for Children from 2001 to 2006. "He's a fake. All he's interested in is glorifying himself." Even over the phone, her distaste for Templeton is palpable. "Maybe he's CIA," she fumes. "The charm, that phony smile, the karate. Seriously. Because he's no humanitarian."

He's not obvious combat swimmer material is he? :wink:

Hello all. I came across your virtual tea party here by googling my name.

It's a little late for me to comment but let me get this straight - some journalist writes a story about our work in Southern Sudan, and yeah,
Matthews wrote some hyperbolic crap, and all you can do is gripe about the stupid tone of the article. Nothing about the fact that we were instrumental in saving thousands of people lives from armed attack.

Wow, you're a pretty sad bunch of pathetic losers, you commentators. You really have nothing better to do with your time than gossip about me?

I welcome the chance to see any of you armchair warriors face to face in DC, or Niarobi, or Douala, or Djibouti, or Kabul, which certainly won't happen because you're obviously too busy gossiping on this site.

If any of you armchair warriors want to do something constructive with your time, and you've got some skills, we welcome your applications to the SPEAR project www.spearproject.com. We have ongoing peace support operations in several Sub-Saharan countries.

As for the rest of you losers .... enjoy your little tea party.

How can we be sure he is for real?

If he was for real he would be certified by the International Bodyguard Association.

stefan said:

It's a little late for me to comment but let me get this straight - some journalist writes a story about our work in Southern Sudan, and yeah,
Matthews wrote some hyperbolic crap, and all you can do is gripe about the stupid tone of the article. Nothing about the fact that we were instrumental in saving thousands of people lives from armed attack.

Wow, you're a pretty sad bunch of pathetic losers, you commentators. You really have nothing better to do with your time than gossip about me?

I welcome the chance to see any of you armchair warriors face to face in DC, or Niarobi, or Douala, or Djibouti, or Kabul, which certainly won't happen because you're obviously too busy gossiping on this site.

If any of you armchair warriors want to do something constructive with your time, and you've got some skills, we welcome your applications to the SPEAR project www.spearproject.com. We have ongoing peace support operations in several Sub-Saharan countries.

Looks to me like you are a self-important prick who believes his own hype. I would have joined in the gossiping, but unfortunately was too busy just a little to the east of Sudan at the time. I'll give you a shout next time I'm out there, and you can show me your underwater prowess. :nemo:

Looks like Lloyd from Corrie. Underwater cabbie knife fighter?

cheesypoptart said:
"What's that stand for?" I ask. His combat boots, tan and well-worn, about to be packed into his duffel bag, have the letters A+/NKDA Sharpied across the back. "Blood type, no known drug allergies. In case I can't speak for myself."
Blood type cut into the heels of his boots? :x Come now! It sounds like something out of The Sixteen! He's clearly allergic to the truth, though...

"Stefan Templeton's no hero," says Pam Menefee, the vice president of Paramedics for Children from 2001 to 2006. "He's a fake. All he's interested in is glorifying himself."

stefan said:
And they say that yanks don't understand irony.

auscam said:
cheesypoptart said:
"What's that stand for?" I ask. His combat boots, tan and well-worn, about to be packed into his duffel bag, have the letters A+/NKDA Sharpied across the back. "Blood type, no known drug allergies. In case I can't speak for myself."
Blood type cut into the heels of his boots? :x Come now! It sounds like something out of The Sixteen! He's clearly allergic to the truth, though...
Sorry not a knife job, a Sharpie is a brand of marker pen

stefan said:

Losers?....with a military background bigger and more varied than you'll ever know sonny, and to add to that, ALL of us had the cahones to finish OUR "Military Training", whereas YOU took the "Baron Castleshortt" route to infamy.

You just smack of being a no-mark who likes to interfere and one day you are going to run up against a local in "wherever" who doesn't like what you do and will be better trained and motivated than you and you'll end up in a body bag.

A word to the wise for you, self-aggradisment and acting like a c0ck in front of members of the British Army will end up in such a barrage of p1sstaking and little "discoveries" that you'll never be able to live it down..

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R The Intelligence Cell 7
Forces_Sweetheart The Intelligence Cell 9
Mighty_doh_nut Infantry 38