The " Walt " Thread and Reality TV...

Following all the bumf re: Ultimate Force thread and the wannabee soldier types reminded me of what made the old war movies so much fun....the total disregard for reality..

HOLLYWOOD:

" Right lads, here's the plan.. We wait 'til noon and, in broad daylight, we jump out of the slit trenches, run across the open field yelling ' Arrrrrgh !' at the top of our lungs and firing our weapons indiscriminately, exhausting our mags and clips at a furious rate while avoiding the enfilading machine gun fire from the enemy. Then, when we reach the concrete gun emplacement we'll toss our grenades with the precision of a cricket test match bowler through the tiny slit, blow up their command post and then take the rest prisoner when they surrender demoralised by our bold effort. Charlie, you lead off. "

REALITY:

" okay boys, as soon as its too dark to see your hand in front of your face, we crawl our way across the ground trying not to sh*t our pants so that the smell gives away our position..Then, , if we make it to the command pill box, some of us will try and place satchel charges againt the concrete walls and hope that if some go off, they'll knock enough rubble and debris down into their coffee to really p*ss them off...then we scramble back here as fast as we can hoping we don't take more than 40% cazualties..okay, Charlie you lead off..."

Anyone old enough to remember Richard Todd?

Right---Pegasus Bridge..
In the film, Richard Todd leads the Paras in advance of D-Day to snag the bridge and hold until the next day when Lord Lovat's 4th Commandos can join up..

I had the great and humbling honour to serve Lord Lovat for a time with one of his Canadian endeavours...had ' Elevenses ' with his Lordship at his home outside Beauly on a trip to Scotland, back in the day...Grand Man..will be no more like him...Have his, personally autographed,Autobiography " March Past ", and some personal correspondence from him , on House of Lords stationary, in a treasured spot in the library...

sniff - damn.. starting to sound like C. Aubrey Smith in four Feathers, now..

and youre only allowed to shake your own!!

Rocketeer said:
Right---Pegasus Bridge..
In the film, Richard Todd leads the Paras in advance of D-Day to snag the bridge and hold until the next day when Lord Lovat's 4th Commandos can join up..

I had the great and humbling honour to serve Lord Lovat for a time with one of his Canadian endeavours...had ' Elevenses ' with his Lordship at his home outside Beauly on a trip to Scotland, back in the day...Grand Man..will be no more like him...Have his, personally autographed,Autobiography " March Past ", and some personal correspondence from him , on House of Lords stationary, in a treasured spot in the library...

sniff - damn.. starting to sound like C. Aubrey Smith in four Feathers, now..
Shame he forgot to mention that it was the men of the 2nd Battalion, The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry who siezed the Orne bridges before he popped off then. :roll:

Tatty badger that was the order at pegasus bridge "hold until relieved"

Rember some veteran on telly telling a war story about a glider landing complete surprise achevied young officer runs into blockhouse full of sleeping germans jabs revolver into sleeping german and in his best german demands his surrender half asleep germans tells him to piss off fritz officer tries again german swears some more and rolls over officer gives up slinks out and tell sgt to take them prisoner dont know if its true but if you got a chest full of medals you get the benefit of the doubt :lol:

woody said:
Tatty badger that was the order at pegasus bridge "hold until relieved"

Rember some veteran on telly telling a war story about a glider landing complete surprise achevied young officer runs into blockhouse full of sleeping germans jabs revolver into sleeping german and in his best german demands his surrender half asleep germans tells him to urine off fritz officer tries again german swears some more and rolls over officer gives up slinks out and tell sgt to take them prisoner dont know if its true but if you got a chest full of medals you get the benefit of the doubt :lol:
Lieutenant Fox said:
Sgt Thornton, as ever, came up to me and told me that there were three Germans asleep in the trench. It was a very handsome trench; you went down into this deep dugout and you went further down and you came to this well dug out bunk room with three bunks in it one on top of the other. He took me down to show me and there were three Germans fast asleep with their rifles neatly stacked in a corner. Sgt Thornton said he would take the rifles out before I did anything and then I shook the nearest German. I ripped the blanket off him and shone the torch on my face and said, ‘Komm!, Komm!’. The German just looked up at me, reached for the blanket and said whatever the German for ‘Oh, ffuck off!’, and went back to sleep. Thornton cried his heart out and lay on the floor laughing his head off.
The German thought it was one of his friend having a joke on him or something. It never occurred to him that it was the enemy. It took the wind right out of my sails. Here was a young officer, first bit of action, first German I had seen, giving them an order and being taken no notice of. It was a bit deflating.
Good memory, Woody.

come_to_arrest_the_zulus said:
was lord lovat the chap who's piper is in that famous d day picture?
Yes. It was Bill Millin.
Piper Bill Millin said:
I stopped piping immediately across the road from the cafe. There was a right battle going on. There were huge columns of black smoke and even from where I was standing I could hear the shrapnel and bullets or whatever hitting off the metal side of the bridge. Wounded were being carried up from along the canal banks and then to the cafe. It was a real hot spot. Lovat went forward to speak to Major Howard and he said, ‘John, today we are making history’. Lovat came back to me and said ‘Right, we’ll cross over, now don’t play, wait until I tell you’. So we walked over ducking because of the snipers. We almost got to the other side and he said, ‘Right play now and keep playing all the way along this road about 200 yards until you come to another bridge and keep playing right across — no matter what just keep playing.
Lieutenant Fox said:
Lovat’s’ men were trying to cross this bridge and being shot at by this sniper. There was a waste. One after another, these young chaps just crumpling. You didn’t hear the shot, you just saw them crumple. These chaps with great big packs, loaded up had marched inland and were jolly tired. Every now and then a man would fall and more and more fell. The others just carried on, they were so tired. I think that they felt ‘if we’re going to be sniped then we’re going to be sniped’ sort of thing.
Lieutenant 'Todd' Sweeney said:
I went and had a look. There were a lot of Commandos lying dead on the side of the road…each with a bullet hole right through the forehead.
NB The only thing that these guys didn't realise was that there were no snipers, just bog-standard trained soldiers with iron sights.