The Wah - can it be saved?

Over the course of the past few years we've had some crackers, such as this effort from wedge35;

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=20815.html

However, we seem to have hit a wall;

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=108523.html

The Wah has been a highlight of ARRSE for years, but we seem to be a bit too Wah-wary these days, so much so that anything even remotely daft is being wrongly called as a Wah. This is especially prevalent with new members. It also seems that we're running out of material, the 'chav txt spk cadet/walt' angle has been done to absolute death.

Are they happening too often? Or are they just too obvious? What can we do to make the Wah funny and believable again?

There is a lack of WAH craftsmen these days, When I were a lad a WAH could be honed and perfected by a bored squaddie over days or even weeks of stagging on in some shithole. Those days are gone and we are left with the remnants of a once fine craft. I blame Gordon Brown.

CQMS said:
There is a lack of WAH craftsmen these days, When I were a lad a WAH could be honed and perfected by a bored squaddie over days or even weeks of stagging on in some shithole. Those days are gone and we are left with the remnants of a once fine craft. I blame Gordon Brown.
All aboard the bus!

If I'm being brutally honest, I'm convinced that billy.winky is one big Wah. If it is, my faith in the art will be restored. If it's eventually proven that he's a real person, I'm going to have to turn up my abuse-o-meter. ;)

A definition would help;

Wah = convincingly affecting arrogant stupidity or a misunderstanding on some matter of fact in order to in fact uncover the stupidity or gullibility of the other.

Example - While driving singing along to your favourite heavy metal popular music "track", enthusiastically muttering "...the eight of spades, the eight of spades".

Friend stupidly offer, with a disbelieving look, "It's the ace of spades, you dick".

Wait two beats, your face in his, "Wahhhh".

Okay, it's not Dr Johnson..........

skintboymike said:
If I'm being brutally honest, I'm convinced that billy.winky is one big Wah. If it is, my faith in the art will be restored. If it's eventually proven that he's a real person, I'm going to have to turn up my abuse-o-meter. ;)
billy.winky is Baron Castleshortt

Why have I been called a "wah" before!? Was it because I mentioned "cadets" once?

Not keen on Wah's myself. Kinda destroys honest communication. Having said that, some are bloody funny.

Perturbed said:
Not keen on Wah's myself. Kinda destroys honest communication. quote]
WAHH

Look, I've thought about this for a long time. Sit down, tea or coffee? Sven may actually not be a cnut, or even as they put it , down the line, a butcher's sleeve, I think we need to organise a paper about this one, a man like that does nothing but improve morale, we need to expand. Thank you gentlemen.

Wahs are rubbish. What's the point?

Wah!

Rothney said:
Why have I been called a "wah" before!? Was it because I mentioned "cadets" once?
Because your posts are so deliberately full of shit that it was obviously a wind up.

Except it wasn't a wind up.

And you really ARE that full of sh*t. ;)

gobbyidiot said:
Example - While driving singing along to your favourite heavy metal popular music "track", enthusiastically muttering "...the eight of spades, the eight of spades".

Friend stupidly offer, with a disbelieving look, "It's the ace of spades, you dick".

Wait two beats, your face in his, "Wahhhh".
I got caught out with this very one last year. My own fault, it winds me up when people get ACDC wrong. Should have seen it coming.

Back to the thread, a good wah requires subtlety, timing and ideally an audience. I think what saintboymike is complaining about is very badly executed 'wind-up' akin to Bart Simpson's phone calls to Moe's Tavern asking for Mr Butts, Mr Seymour Butts. The correct response is not 'Wah?' but 'Bore off you trolling twunt!'

CQMS said:
I blame JPA which is a wah that backfired when a smartarse clerk told the RAO he'd have more time to play golf if soldiers did all their own admin. He didn't get the Waaaaahhhhhh! out in time and now Wah-merchants across the services are that much more weary of 'pushing the envelope'.