The volunteers under fire on Afghan front line

From The BBC
For six months they patrolled the desert around Camp Bastion, protected bomb disposal teams and assisted medics evacuating seriously injured soldiers.

Now, members of an infantry company made up entirely of Territorial Army soldiers have received Afghanistan campaign medals from their colonel-in-chief, the Prince of Wales.

Around 80 soldiers from Normandy Company of 4th Battalion The Mercian Regiment were honoured for their role in Helmand province.

It was a gruelling six months but their commanding officer, Maj Chris Carter, said they had been able to draw on their "remarkable" experience.

"For half of my company they were on their second or more operational tour - those with more experience helped those with a bit less."

The soldiers, whose civilian jobs range from postmen to teachers, also helped reopen a school in the Basharan area, which had closed after the Taliban killed the principal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8380980.stm

Fallschirmjager said:
Not being funny but:

And?

Nearly every soldier, regular and TA have conducted a tour of Helmand now.

It's not a big deal any more.
Is it because they have deployed as a company rather than being attached to regular units?

Fallschirmjager said:
Not being funny but:

And?

Nearly every soldier, regular and TA have conducted a tour of Helmand now.

It's not a big deal any more.
I'm sure it is to those who have done it for the first time.

spaz said:
Fallschirmjager said:
EX_STAB said:
I've no doubt it is but should we start a congratulations thread for every bloke/unit who conducts his/their first tour?
Why not? We have a congrats thread every time a TA basic training course finishes.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=135735.html
Don't be churlish. We should have one for every time a recruit gets his beret sorted out.

Dr_Evil said:
spaz said:
Fallschirmjager said:
EX_STAB said:
I've no doubt it is but should we start a congratulations thread for every bloke/unit who conducts his/their first tour?
Why not? We have a congrats thread every time a TA basic training course finishes.

Don't be churlish. We should have one for every time a recruit gets his beret sorted out.
Will be a short congrats thread, some shocking beret shaping skills out there ;)

Dr_Evil said:
spaz said:
Fallschirmjager said:
EX_STAB said:

We do! Hurrah. :party:

Fallschirmjager said:
Fair one. I'm on my third Helmand tour in 9 weeks time. Think i'll start a thread for some attention and gratitude. You cunts better show me some! :D
You'll get biffed, I've heard you've booked your slot on the jack wagon

Bravo_Bravo said:
spaz said:
Fallschirmjager said:
EX_STAB said:

You do seem to spend a lot of time trolling the TA forum...

He could be a TA walt wannabe!

come on even walts have standards I thought?

I suspect this has been posted simply as a point of interest rather than a massively comment-worthy story, and because the medals were presented by Prince Charles in the garden of his house, rather than from an 'oooo look at me I've been to Helmand' perspective.

Bravo_Bravo said:
You do seem to spend a lot of time trolling the TA forum...
I read the threads that appear on the front page. Trolling? I wouldn't say that, respond to bone posts yes. It's not my fault if the vast majority of bone uninformed tripe posted on this site is on the TA forum.

BB I'm not feeling the love from you, can I have a hug?

Um, I think the issue is that this was a formed Unit (not so many of those around) commanded by a Territorial who have successfully completed a tour in support of the Army in the best traditions of the TA. Indeed, the same can be said (not the command bit) of all IRs and they should be congratulated too. There is nothing wrong or misguided about such congratulations.

There is too much taken for granted these days - specifically the life churning sacrifice of time, family (most of whom did not have a say in whether their family members joined the TA in the first place), and civilian employment risk.

Well done chaps. If it makes the news, because of the circumstances, and reminds everyone of the contribution being made by the TA, and the Army, then that can be nothing other than good.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
OldRedCap The NAAFI Bar 8
crabtastic The Intelligence Cell 5
maninblack Military History and Militaria 9