The Vietnam war from the VC / NVA perspective

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Civvy-Ginge, Apr 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know of any books about the Vietnam war written by former VC or NVA soldiers? I've read the Tunnels of Cu Chi which has some chapters by Ex VC.

I am more interested in factual rather than fiction.

Your help would be appreciated.

2. I'd be certainly be intereresed in what you can dig up too, Civvy-Ginge. Count me in!

3. Thanks for these I will have a look. Do you know of anything that is more of a first hand account? I've read loads from the US side of things, I thought it would be interesting to find out about the other side on the receiving end of all that fire-power.
  4. These may be your best bet:
    EFEO - Documentary Resources - The Hanoi Library
  5. I've got a copy of 'The sorrow of war' by a Hanoi born writer, Bao Ninh. Its a novel but may be of interest.

The author served and was one of ten survivors from 500.
  6. I ordered this earlier funnily enough, fiction but a bloody good read allegedly.

Any more suggestions?
  7. I'll bump this thread as Id like to know more of the NVA/VC experience
  8. There are some references and quotations from NVA veterans in Hal Moore's "We were soldiers"..
    which deals with Ia Drang in 1965.
  9. I am currently reading "The Sorrow Of War" as mentioned earlier in the thread. As a work of literature, it is very good so far (I am only half way through) but it is more of a rambling story going from wartime to peacetime to wartime throughout. It is not really what I was after, a first person account from the VC perspective.

I have just ordered this for my Kindle,
    Inside the VC and the NVA: The Real Story of North Vietnam's Armed Forces (Williams-Ford Texas A&M University Military History Series) [Kindle Edition]
    By: Col. Michael Lee Lanning Lt. Col. (RET), Dan Cragg
    Sold by: Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.

I will let you know (for those that are interested) what it like when I have finished it.
  10. I have finished the Sorrow of War, despite the best efforts of my kids. As a work of literature it is very good, however the story is really about an NVA soldier trying to come to terms with peace after eleven years of war. It is a bit random in places, leaving you wondering where the story is going and, to be honest; I'm still a bit unsure why some of it is in the book.

This was not really what I was looking for, In the first place it is fiction and I also wanted a first person account of the war from a VC/NVA perspective.

I am only guessing here, (as I have never served) but it just may be of interest to those of you who have been on the front line somewhere, and then found it somewhat difficult to adjust to peace when back among us civvies. (I may also be talking bollocks).

My verdict for what it is worth; A very well written work of literature, but if you are after fact or fiction about the wartime experiences of the VC/NVA, this is one to miss.

I'm halfway through the other book; Inside the VC and NVA; although I am only half way through, this is also not what I was after. This would be a really good scource of information for anyone wanting knowlege on the formation, weapons, tactics and training etc of the other side.
    It does contain snippets from captured documents or prisoners and, if I'm honest it is actually quite interesting.
    If anyone needs to do a dissertation/thesis on the communist forces in Vietnam, this will be a real assett.
    If you want an overview of the of the opposition, this is it.

If anyone is interested in the political side of things, I have found this one.

A Vietcong Memoir: Troung Nhu Tang: Books

I was going to buy it until I read a passage stating, the author was not a front line soldier but was an urban organiser.
    If any of you have read it, I'd like to know if it's any good or not.

So I'm still looking. A first hand account, non-fiction, of a VC/NVA soldier. I'll let you know if I find anything.
  11. VC perspective.....

.....Oh Fluuckkk!
    • Like Like x 2
  12. More like f#ck you GI!

13. It`s almost impossible to find any first hand accounts of an NVA/VC footsoldier. Very little in the way of published works about the war come out of Vietnam without being heavily censored or even banned completely There`s a few which have been published as short anecdotes in amongst other memoir compilations, but all these have been from VC who decided to leg it to the US or France at the end of hostilities because they saw the writing on the wall. Often these have very little to do with ground operations or suchlike, and are more to do with how the North stitched up the participants of the war.
    I did once manage to find a CIA declassified document which was the captured diary of a VC who spent all his time in the Viet Minh forest. It was fairly banal and was just a record of everyday things such as political activities in villages, although there were a few days recording combat operations which seemed to have scared him shitless, and cost his unit heavily. At one point he deserted as he was homesick but was caught and sent back to his unit. The diary ended abruptly so I`m presuming he was either killed or dumped his kit when being pursued.