The very strange, and vindictive, case of Julian Assange

So plod will know if he leaves and then where's he going to go? He has to leave the country somehow and word will be out before he gets anywhere near an airport. None of his rich "mates" are going to help him after they ended up forking out after he skipped bail. Easiest to leave him where he is. The irony is that he'd have spent less time in a Swedish jail and been more comfortable.
Assange about to do a bunk...

There's evidence to suggest (see my original post in this thread and the links therein) that the issuance of the warrant was prompted by the Septics.
Are you really suggesting Counterpunch is evidence?

Probably because they were still investigating. It's far from a straightforward prosecution.
I would say an embarrassing prosecution where they know they are by no means assured of a conviction, therefore they haven't pursued it. Look don't get me wrong, Assange is a total knob, but proving he has done great damage to the US government would I contend be very difficult.

Arrseange? Are you 12?

They have to build a case before they can request his extradition. It takes time. Sweden got there first.
If he is right with his BS regarding the US, they would have built a case against him before Sweden.

It's not as if they didn't have anything to say Wikileaks had released sensitive information. Oh, but wait, Arrseange himself didn't actually do anything like that, the sensitive information was leaked by people like Manning, so I wonder what case they could build against him.

You see, dear, downtrodden, narcissistic Julian is talking shit, and fools like you are falling for it

While he's in the Ecuadorian embassy, there's nothing they can do. They're hardly going to announce that they're seeking his arrest and give him the opportunity to run.

Chances are, they have a sealed indictment ready to go as soon as the opportunity presents itself.

Chances are you've been sniffing a mix of PipeGrip and unleaded petrol again.

I would say an embarrassing prosecution where they know they are by no means assured of a conviction, therefore they haven't pursued it. Look don't get me wrong, Assange is a total knob, but proving he has done great damage to the US government would I contend be very difficult.

Why would they even need to go for him? Let's face it, he's done more to help the case against Wikileaks than anyone else.

@DaManBugs Hey Bugsy - still waiting to be afforded the simple courtesy of an answer as to whether you're prepared to back up your previous statement with action. I tagged you in the post, so it would be easy for you to reference.

While he's in the Ecuadorian embassy, there's nothing they can do. They're hardly going to announce that they're seeking his arrest and give him the opportunity to run.

Chances are, they have a sealed indictment ready to go as soon as the opportunity presents itself.
That doesn't mean the request would be at all successful. It means they simply go through the legal process and make their request. The legal process Assange seems to want applied to everyone but himself.

Following on in the same spirit as the esteemed OP's kick off post, here's a link to another meticulously researched and carefully considered statement about poor Mr Assange's predicament.

LINKY

Proving that he's done great damage to the US government shouldn't be hard - proving that he's actually broken any laws would be the difficult bit.

Proving that he's done great damage to the US government shouldn't be hard - proving that he's actually broken any laws would be the difficult bit.
The law that comes up in the press is this one.

Espionage Act of 1917 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm far from a legal type - but from what I gather, the main difficulty is in proving that his intent was to harm the US government.

If he wasn't a bellend, he could have afforded himself far greater protection by carefully publishing individual documents as per Snowden. It then becomes indistinguishable from everyday journalism.

Surely that would apply only to US citizens or to actions commited on US soil though?

If you challenge authority then expect to come under scrutiny and pressure. That's a simple law of human relationships. If you annoy the school bully, expect to be thumped. That's another inevitability.

Regardless of your position of the political spectrum and your position vis-a-vis the USA - he should have thought it through. If his conscience tells him that possible martyrdom is an acceptable price, then go ahead- but don't be surprised by the self-fulfilling prophesy.

Were he more astute, he'd have taken the Swedish rap and ensconced himself in Sweden - either in prison or as an asylum seeker. Either way, his future would be more certain than here.

As it is, he's elected to break English law and to cost the British taxpayer money by doing so: all for his own agenda.

I have little sympathy for his plight.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Apparently not, but I'm confused by that also.
As far as I can make out, it only applies to Septics or naturalised Septics, but not to foreign nationals. The West Germans tried the same trick when they charged Markus Wolf (the former head of the Stasi foreign intelligence department [HV A] with "espionage". That, too, came to nothing in the end. I can't see that your man Assange actually broke any US laws, but I'm sure they'll invent something.

MsG

As far as I can make out, it only applies to Septics or naturalised Septics, but not to foreign nationals. The West Germans tried the same trick when they charged Markus Wolf (the former head of the Stasi foreign intelligence department [HV A] with "espionage". That, too, came to nothing in the end. I can't see that your man Assange actually broke any US laws, but I'm sure they'll invent something.

MsG
Hi Bugsy - waiting to be afforded the courtesy of an answer to my question of a few days/pages ago. I wont be offended if you tell me that you dont want to answer it - but I would appreciate some kind of response, if only out of politeness.