The very Last Military Hospital to close ?

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by bodyarmour, Nov 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With the closure of the last "Navy" Military Hospital in Gibraltar last month.
    They are moving to the Princess Royal Medical Centre soon (delayed because of a c0ck-up) and closing altogether in 2008/2009, with service personnel being treated in Gib by the civvies or flown to UK, comes the confirmation that Cyprus will also close (by 2011), touched on briefly by
    Derek Twigg when giving evidence to the Defence Select Committee.

The end of an era !

2. BUPA Membership next then...

3. Well I can understand why the Hospital in Gib closed, although staffed by some excellent people, it was a shite hole and well passed it's sell by date, however, when I left there they were just finishing the hospital build in DTC, does this not replace it??

4. Are they keeping DCU Belfast open ????

5. Well I can understand why the Hospital in Gib closed, although staffed by some excellent people, it was a shite hole and well passed it's sell by date, however, when I left there they were just finishing the hospital build in DTC, does this not replace it??

6. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Yes - for the next few years at least.

7. Along time gone now, I am glad I went Med Clerk, if we had not gone into the AGC we would have been in the same boat.

I have been all over the world now in the field army (Inf, Engr, and others), under the medical world it would have been, and is, so restrictive.

8. I went for a wander around the old BMH Munster (did my class 2 there) the other day, still being used by the Germans so its in excellent nick and still looks the same as it did in the 80's, although the NAAFI, Amenities centre and male accom have gone and in their place is a massive glass building, a few other buildings have sprung up but the hospital building still looks the same as does the guard room, QA officers mess, cookhouse building and that house that some of the JR girls used to live in.

9. you're a bit of a jinks then Karabiner old bean,

mind you Ive served in CMH, BMH Rinteln, DKMH Catterick now all closed.
    I only hope the same fate befalls MDHU Grimley Dark and Northallerton (but I doubt it)

Would the last person out, please switch the lights out and close the door?

10. Depends how deep you looked at the place, which was built for the Army at the beginning of the 20th C. It was built there because it was a cooler, more pleasant place to be if you were ill and that's still true. The new place will be unbearable when it's really hot and awful when it rains. Whilst the surface plaster has been falling off for decades, the hospital building is still very sound, built as it is on a steel frame. I've worked there a couple of times and, once you've got over the joke that is Gibraltar's road system, it's a pretty decent place to be.

Of course, anywhere that can sell a litre of Bacardi for a fiver can be very dangerous......

11. I was posted to BMH HK (great place), Berlin, Hannover, DSMRU, Rinteln, DKMH, TPMH & physically handed the keys in to the guard hut for the CMH & finally FPH

When they finally loose the TPMH & use local services they really will notice the difference, the average Cypriot hospital is a bit basic, with really complicated stuff being moved to Greece. Will this mean any pads family with anything but a basic medical history will be banned from the place.