The Venerable Webley

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Croque_Monsieur, May 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been eyeing a Webley MkVI for a while, in .455 (not US barstewardised .45ACP conversion) and with this comes the problem that a fast reload is a right arrse, moon-clips or half-moon clips will not fit in the space between the cylinder and frame (so I have heard), and modern .44/.45 speedloaders would also have a tough time (COULD be tweeked to fit....maybe :? ). This is ironic since some of the first speedloaders ever were in fact developped for the Webleys.

I have managed to get copies of the patent (perks of the job) for the Prideaux speedloader and improvements dating from 1914 (original patent is dated 1893 but not archived :cry: ) and I have worked out how it worked, but does anyone happen for have piccies of this thing in the flesh? I think it would be interesting to try and make one of these.

Anyone have experience with these lovely revolvers?

2. Yep, thanks Archimedes, I have seen those.

I was hoping to see them from other angles and preferably without cartridges in them.

3. I had one before the government stole it from me, complete with a detachable stock. Horrible trigger and I couldn't hit a barn door with it double action, but it oozed history. From memory, I'm sure that someone was selling replica Prideaux speedloaders in the 1990's.

4. Sorry for your loss :cry: CNUTS! I skipped across the North Sea, they have slightly more sensible gun laws.

I have been Googling far and wide, but so far no luck on a repro Prideaux. I have played with the revolver on the ranges before, double action was tough but great fun, with training I'm sure it would get easier (need dumbells for my trigger finger).

5. Although they do not list the speed loaders in their stock, these guys may have a clue
    http://www.bdlltd.com/
    Cheers

6. Sort of, last year I was shot at with one by an Iraqi, It was Nickle plated with a "birds-head" grip, he had three bullets left, there were 12 of us-do the math

7. Live fired the .455 Webley in N.I some time in the late 70's - cant be more specific than that - couldnt hit a barn door at 20 paces with it - for some bizarre reason I was given it as a personal protection weapon whilst doing runs in a civilianised vehicle - luckily never had to fire it in anger - would have scared someone to death with it but highly unlikely to have caused any damage to them with it. probably good in its early days but would far rather have had a 9mm browning.

8. The Webley .455 was recognised as a handgun you had to learn to use - one of the reasons it was replaced by its smaller .38 brother in WW11.
    It, however, was in its element during the close range, trench warfare of WW1.
    I was lucky enough to have been taught by a man who served as an Officer for 2 years in the Great War(his descriptions of trench fighting still haunt me to this day) and he told me the Webley saved his life on many occasions. It was designed as a short-range, one-shot 'stopper' - he said that anyone unfortunate enough to be shot by it ''went down like a 'sack of spuds' and took no further part in the proceedings''.