The VC

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Punk_trooper, Jan 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A few civilians (Indian civil Service I think) won VC's during the Indian Mutiny. I think there may have also been a couple of VC's awarded to merchant navy officers during WW! but I don't think they are classed as civilian awards as they held temporary RNR commissions.
  2. Yeah. I am sure that a couple of members of the TA have won them over the years.

3. Yep

Five civilians have won the VC:

Mr. R.L. Mangles, Mr. W.F. McDonell, Mr. T.H. Kavanagh of the Bengal Civil Service, Mr. G.B. Chicken, a volunteer of the Indian Naval Brigade, during the Indian Mutiny, 1857.
    Reverend J.W. Adams, of the Bengal Ecclesiastical Department, during the 2nd Afghan War, 1879.
  4. Hmmm.... one was awarded to a Swiss copper at Rorkes Drift. Tropper'll know who it was. Actually, scrub that, Tropper probably actually knew him.
  5. Your correct, one of those would be L/Cpl William Coltman VC, DCM and bar, MM and bar MID 1/6th North Staffordshire Regt. Feckin stabs eh :roll:
  6. I thought they got GC's instead to be honest?
    Well you learn something new every day.
  7. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Just goes to show what a waste of rations they are, innit!
  8. GC instituted in 1940, so before then a VC awarded to a memeber of CivDiv was perfectly acceptable. The criteria for the two awards is somewhat different as well.
  9. Frederick Schiess, Natal Mounted Police. Come on! Haven't you ever seen Zulu?

"Hear that 716? He's a peeler, come to arrest the Zulus!"
  10. What, have they made a film of it? Is it any good?
  11. Is the main difference between the VC and GC that the GC can be awarded when the awardee wasn't under fire? For instance, the Marine who dived on a trip wired grenade was awarded the GC. So I guess technically if Ross Kemp had encountered a Zulu type situation, he would have been eligible for the VC.
  12. The George Cross replaced the Albert Medal which was awarded for saving life.
  13. My bold.
    Brilliant! :D
    Either that's a made up name or he's the most unlikely named recipient of the VC. No-one could ever take the micky out of his name after he won that award. :lol: