The Vampir Dugout - Channel 4 - 10/11/08 @2100 hrs

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by flyingmonkey, Oct 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a headsup for those who were on the ARRSE Ypres tour earlier in the year and got into the Vampir Dugout. The documentary covering the finding, excavation and exploration of the Dugout is going out on UK Channel 4 on the 10/11/08 at 2100 hrs UK time.

For those who werent there but are interested, it was an amazing project to be part of, giving us a mini porthole into the work of a WW1 tunneller in the Ypres Salient.

Regards

FM

2. I cannot get Channel 4 over here. Anyone making a copy of it?

3. I will upload it to youtube - be in about 9 parts

4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Just watched.

Put a lot more meat onto what we saw down there.

5. I will always remember the tin of 'bully', the petrol can and the water pump. Amazing.

6. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

7. I watched this last night, fascinating. I was wondering if anyone actually cleared the whole dug out at any time or is it in the same condition as shown at the end of the programme. I thought this was a fascinating insight into the world of the WW1 squaddie. What was more interesting was the additional pay and respect given to the tunnelers, not the best of jobs at the worst of times. I would have thought and they must have been gutted to have to down tools and just walk away before it was finished. Good on you all lads for a job well done.

8. This website may be of interest to some-
    http://www.bunkertours.com/

I liked the way the Belgian bloke called everyone out of Vampire because of the 1st collapse and it mysteriously got washed out and cleared when nobody was about.
    Done a bit of work in re-shoring mine levels and the like myself, its hairy work at best but in truth the 2nd collapse is diggable and the rest of the bunker should be accesable.
    Stunningly well built piece of engineering

9. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

I believe the main reason it had to be left was one of cost.
    No doubt FM can give us a heads up on that one.
    Good Job, by the way, FM finding the family of the CSM.

10. Why can't the RE go and finish it off? They go build foot bridges and Aviaries in Scotland etc., so this would be a good use of their skills.

11. Really enjoyed watching the programme, informative and brings home the true conditions. Perhaps this is the kind of thing schools should be showing to kids today.

Also thought it was a good touch to have Baldricks relative as presenter

12. enjoyed the show. would hope that someone else comes up with some dosh to reopen the thing and get past that blockage.

I thought that was so suss - 'washed out' my arrse especially when they actually went on to say that the only way for water to get into the dugout was down the shaft or the stairs due to the heavy clay ... should have watched the Belgian engineers face to see if he was grinning.

13. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

The whole place is soo well preserved. Those of us who went down were equally impressed by the steel being like that.
    The tin of bullybeef was really spooky sat as it was on a spar.
    The leather hose for the pump was in excellent condition as well.