Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Value Of Home Insurance

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Coincidentally I was talking to a chap this morning who had a fire in his house about a month ago.
The insurers are putting him and his family plus 4 dogs up and a company is repairing and cleaning the house and any salvageable furniture.
The insurers are in touch almost daily and the house is on the way to being in slightly better condition than before the fire.
Dont tell my missus that
or we will be getting a fire, and most likely with me in the middle of it !!

PAXBloke

Old-Salt
Not sure I understand that fully. Have you got the policy document ? If it was me, I'd be going though it, with an electron microscope if necessary, to establish how the insurance does cover this incident.

The bit of the contents policy that usually covers this is the liability section, which is often an optional extra.

If the injuried party can establish negligence then the liability section kicks in (normally worth somewhere between £1M-£2M).

If the injuried party cannot establish negligence, i.e. it was a common trip or fall, then they will struggle in court.

Kind regards,

PB

One year later: their brief alleges I am the dirteous, rottenest bastard to walk this earth, wilfully and neglectfully and with malice aforethought, having refused, despite opportunity, to clear the leaves thereby knowingly placing all callers at risk of GBH.

My brief is dong Arkell-v-Pressdram, look it up yourself.

Coincidentally I was talking to a chap this morning who had a fire in his house about a month ago.
The insurers are putting him and his family plus 4 dogs up and a company is repairing and cleaning the house and any salvageable furniture.
The insurers are in touch almost daily and the house is on the way to being in slightly better condition than before the fire.
Please tel us the name of the insurance company. Yourf riends experience is different from the bahaviour of some such companies.

The_Duke

LE
One year later: their brief alleges I am the dirteous, rottenest bastard to walk this earth, wilfully and neglectfully and with malice aforethought, having refused, despite opportunity, to clear the leaves thereby knowingly placing all callers at risk of GBH.

My brief is dong Arkell-v-Pressdram, look it up yourself.
Of course they are. It is the only way to get the money their client needs/wants. If they just put their hands up and said “oh sorry, she just tripped” there would be no claim.

A liability section requires you to be liable for the accident.

Make sure your policy has legal expenses cover.
I reckon that saved me good 50k in legal fees few years ago...

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Just got my renewal e mail for house insurance, I’ve got about three weeks to sought it out, the bastards have put it up by £70.00.

Ive made one claim in thirty odd years of owning a house and that was 20 odd years ago! It’s necessary but it’s fecking annoying, right I’m off to confused.com

I double checked the policy on mine a few weeks ago, purely for the fishing gear and stuff I have in the man cave.
I explained to the lady on the other end of the phone that its essentially a garden shed with all my blokey type gear in it.

Happily she told me that it's all covered as part of the policy, even if it burned down EVERYTHING inside, plus the shed is covered.
Which is nice because I've got at least 18 rods of different types, plus fly, carp, match and sea fishing kit in there.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Not really understanding why people are baffled by the policy excess. It's absolutely standard on every insurance policy ever written.
Ii is better to get a top quality insurance with a sizeable excess than a cheap as chips that refuses many claims. You insure against calamity not minor matters

D

Deleted 164106

Just got my renewal e mail for house insurance, I’ve got about three weeks to sought it out, the bastards have put it up by £70.00.

Ive made one claim in thirty odd years of owning a house and that was 20 odd years ago! It’s necessary but it’s fecking annoying, right I’m off to confused.com
Call them up and flat-out say that you don't want to pay the extra (get rival quotes first), and if they won't change it you'll leave - this works most of the time. Or just change your policy.

I renewed my house insurance Wednesday, £63 cheaper than the renewal quote from old company (for the same cover).
When I told the old Co I would not be using them this year, as I obtained a cheaper quote, they said, we will match your new price.

They didn't like it when I told them I objected to them overcharging me on the original renewal quote.
Robbing sods

I do exactly the same every time. I ask them why they were trying to rip me off in the first place.

My brothers, mint CLK 320 got written of after a daft twat reversed into him.
It has done less than 60,000 miles and they gave it a vallue of £ 1000.
Its a 92 car and lived all its life on a channel island
They have a limit of of twenty miles an hour on that island
I am a panel beater and WILL sort the work out in less than a morning before it goes to the painters.
If it is not your fault, then under English Common law you are entitled to be put back in the position you started in.
So you can tell the other persons insurance company, NO, ram it, you will fix my car.
E. G. If the CLK was completly destroyed you could technically insist they source an exact replacement.

Ii is better to get a top quality insurance with a sizeable excess than a cheap as chips that refuses many claims. You insure against calamity not minor matters
Hi MoleBath, totally agree with you! I wish to all of you to never reach the insurance case, but I bet you will regret about the fact that you saved some money instead of buying more expensive insurance in case you reached it. However, there are obviously exceptions. I am insuring my house (from particular cases/events) each particular year during 14 years, but when I made my first insurance (internet services was not so developed) I should have to choose between the only 2 companies from my region I heard feedback about. This lack of information led to some month of trial with my insurance company. Fortunately, I succeed to obtain some compensation, but I immediately reviewed my insurant and find out how easy it could be done in nowadays with dedicated services, like Compare Cheap Home Insurance Quotes - Money Expert for instance. You can compare the services and make a proper analysis online before contracting someone. The chance you will choose the wrong company is much lower with using the services like that.

Last edited:
Helping my mother deal with a car insurance problem at the moment,
June 2015 she was driving out of a shopping centre car park, a muppet reversed out of a space without looking and collided with my mothers car,
Details swapped,
Later that day other drivers husband phoned, bit abusive and insisting my mother was at fault,
Mother was a bit alarmed by his attitude and phoned the PSNI,
She was advised to contact the insurance company which she did, no claim made against insurance and she let it go because damage was minimal and barely noticeable,
She went to renew her insurance last month, company has put her premiums up, for an accident that wasn't her fault, and no claim was made,
My opinion about the insurance companies involved isn't a very good opinion

I renewed my house insurance Wednesday, £63 cheaper than the renewal quote from old company (for the same cover).
When I told the old Co I would not be using them this year, as I obtained a cheaper quote, they said, we will match your new price.

They didn't like it when I told them I objected to them overcharging me on the original renewal quote.
Robbing sods

When I had a house in the UK , I had insurance with some UK company , logo is an umbrella. For the last , say 20 years , I was working in the EU at the time. Every year the premium went up on the letter I received. Every year I went on line , requested the same cover , same location etc.

Every year the on line was cheaper.

Called the “help line “ said I was going to cancel , OH. Why Mr OB .

Because I can get the same insurance for less as a new policy from your company. OO , Wait, sorry computer mistake. We will match the on line price. Every year for 20 years.

SWJ99

War Hero
If it is not your fault, then under English Common law you are entitled to be put back in the position you started in..........
Ed Zachary. Exactly. The owner of a car is entitled to do with it as he or she pleases, within the limits of the law. So if it is damaged in an accident, the owner can if they wish have it repaired and then sue the driver who caused the damage. It is for that driver to either defend the claim, or claim on their insurance.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I gave up with online insurance companies
last year a lady made a mistake, she was confused, lost, and following a pratnav, she missed a turning on the roundabout, and instead of simply going round again, suddenly changed lanes
bang
no great damage done as I managed to swerve a bit, but her tractor type vehicle was unmarked !! her massive wheel though bent my rear wing a bit
no problem, we exchanged details, no need to get upset its just tin
insurance companies however proved to be terminally useless,
after much hassle they paid my excess, and I now use a company in town with real human beings
both companies involved have shown massive losses, and yet continue to advertise on prime time TV
both of them are registered in the channel islands !
I did get compensation and an apology for their tardy service, and yet last week a letter from a debt recovery company arrived, they are still chasing the other company for their losses, and had not provided them with the maps, and drawings I gave them, tracking data, and cctv from the vehicle ?
another hour lost forwarding all that
I kept the repair costs down by not using their approved repair company ( well known shysters who bump up the costs) and had it repaired at the local bodyshop, also didnt ask for a hire car and used a cycle for a few days
they complained about using a non approved bodyshop, but I was adamant and pinted out that the company have been in business 60 years with the same name, unlike theirs, are a BMW approved repairer, and repair and rebuild all the classic cars in this area, I even sent them a picture of my friends very very rare Italian care being repaired there after he was hit by a youth from a local estate ( uninsured)
total repair bill 900 quid, done in 2 days
I pay a little more for my present company, but they are on the ball and have been very helpful, even pointing out that the previous company managed to drop the class 1 business cover after the first year, and I was under the impression that I was covered for that for the next 5 years ?

In civvy street I do some work with insurance company engineers, helping with inspection of lifting equipment for loler legislation,
One of them told me the insurance company premiums are less than what they pay out in claims,
They make their profits by investing the premiums,
I'm guessing that they probably use this to show a loss for tax reasons,

Same engineer also said in warm weather crashes involving young men went up, believed to be caused by being distracted by scantily clad young ladies

The_Duke

LE
In civvy street I do some work with insurance company engineers, helping with inspection of lifting equipment for loler legislation,
One of them told me the insurance company premiums are less than what they pay out in claims,
They make their profits by investing the premiums,
I'm guessing that they probably use this to show a loss for tax reasons,

Not strictly true. Investment income can form part of a P&L, but it is not a standard business practice to write to an underwriting loss and then hope that investments make up the difference.

Latest Threads