The Value Of Home Insurance

The Value Of Home Insurance.

Normally I'm humorous on Arse, ain't no humour here.

Some years, I guess I've let it run over as a direct debit with whichever company I've been with. Some years, it might be that I've gone a month or two uninsured without realising: I've never claimed in 40 years, it's just another letter on the mantelpiece. Some years, I've got my fingers burned by the algorithm that puts the price far beyond their competitors.

So, it's in the background, like the sound of waves on the shore.

1. This week, S's aged dad opened his front door which was weeping water at the bottom due to Storm Gareth, a small tidal wave came in and soaked the entire ground floor, leaving a foot of standing water, damaging the floorboards, wiring, carpets and furniture. Insurance assessors arrived the next day, Dad has to live (unwillingly) with family for eight weeks while the insurers put it right and not a penny to pay. What's more, they'll pay the rent of him living with family during that time. £10's of thousands total.

2. Same day, same storm, T's conservatory detached itself from the house into the garden with some damage. Assessor's arrived next day, no sweat, we'll sort that out for you and get our builders in. Maybe £10k max.

3. Nothing to do with storms, but the point of my tale. This year, I made a positive effort with screenscrapers to get the price down, and was happy, paid the fee then forgot about it. That is, until, the 29th Jan happened. Just a family friend, came for a meal in the evening with her sister and my family, no biggie until she slipped and fell really badly when leaving on the wet leaves I hadn't swept away from our concrete garden path (We live in the woods). Sober as a judge, we all were, but the ambulance came and took her to hospital and kept her in four weeks - two obviously broken legs at the ankle, couldn't go home and be alone. Sure, accidents happen but she's single, lives alone and is a self-employed private hire driver, after a couple of weeks she was in tears because she couldn't pay her business fees or mortgage and the hospital is full of ambulance-chasing adverts. She is now suing me for negligence just to try to keep afloat, she's got to sell the cab, surrender her plate and has got her back to the wall because the medics reckon driving will be a big issue for her when she's up to it in maybe six months. I speak to an insurance insider, he says someone of that age who has to change their career so late in life, besides the damages and medical fees, you're looking around the £100k mark including loss of earnings. £100k! FFS! Quick, check the insurance - they were brilliant, gave me a twenty-minute reassuring telephone advice and said that, if it's not defined as an accident, my arse is covered on the contents bit of the home insurance. I've only got £2k to pay on my mortgage, I can't afford £100k again. Speak to my vetting officer, he's cool that I've let him know but it will be shown as a court judgement against me in due course and will make their system go 'ping', an early email from me will cover that. Stand Easy.

If you've got your own place, even though it seems like a total loss every year, make sure you've got house and contents insurance. Or sweep your path.

Here, my story ends. Reckon I've only paid out a total of £4800 in annual fees in my whole life. £100k, FFS, £100k.

MK Out.

what sort of footwear was she wearing ?
it should be in the hospital report ?
was she overweight
level of physical fitness ??
perhaps she already has insurance to cover her as a self employed driver, if not she should have had that covered in case of work related accidents

Hang on. I'm not following here. You say If it's NOT defined as an accident you're covered. Surely if it IS defined as an accident you're covered - otherwise your insurance covers you for people throwing themselves or being thrown to the ground intentionally. That would be somewhat unusual.

Also, you are relieved your contents are covered, but if your wobbly kneed friend claims it will be on the Public Liability element of your policy. Have you checked you have that on there?

My mum paid in for over forty years in her current place.
Never claimed in all that time. A while ago there was a small flood and she wanted to claim on a very small piece of carpet in her downstairs loo.
We are talking no more than seventy to a hundred quid.
She was basically told to do one.
ByBy insurance company.

My mate Mike was burgled
they broke a double glazed window and a small pane of glass in a back door
his old laptop was stolen
he notified the insurers, they wanted him to pay the first 80 pounds of each claim
I took the sealed unit out
replacement one 40 quid
pane of glass and putty in small panel
5 quid
replacement laptop 70 on local selling site
intruder alarm installed and some more external lighting
even though he did not claim the insurers wanted to put the policy up by 70 quid ??
then his car got nicked, I recovered it along with another stolen car, total cost of materials 100 quid to fix it, new locks, some secondhand parts and a cheap alarm
his premium went up by 120 pounds ?
if he had claimed he had to pay the first 300 pounds of the claim
24 year old Nissan Micra 500 quid tops

When Stevie J had all his kit smeged on the 611 in Sangin, he claimed for the 18 laptops in his daysack.

Insurance does indeed pay.

I have posted this before, but years ago I was asked to deliver a brand new car down to Monaco.
I had a clean license and full no claims discount, I rang my insurance company and got a call back saying "computer says no".
I tried every broker in the yellow pages and got the same result.
I had to tell the client that I could not do the job, he told me he would get back to me.
He got full comp cover including healthcare, for me for about £15.00.

Not really understanding why people are baffled by the policy excess. It's absolutely standard on every insurance policy ever written.

My brothers, mint CLK 320 got written of after a daft twat reversed into him.
It has done less than 60,000 miles and they gave it a vallue of £ 1000.
Its a 92 car and lived all its life on a channel island
They have a limit of of twenty miles an hour on that island
I am a panel beater and WILL sort the work out in less than a morning before it goes to the painters.

Daughter dropped her @pple laptop at uni last month, write off she thought. The insurers said take it to @pple for a quote, so she did, they told her it was fixable for around 600 quid. Copy of the quote to the insurer and a cheque arrived within the week.

The personal possessions policy cost around 180 quid.

I was talking to a lady I know, no mortgage but struggling artist you know the sort, dads a multi millionaire so will be financially in the money eventually

Anyway in conversation she mentioned she had no house insurance, her reason being she has no mortgage so worst case she could just build another one on the same spot

Trying to argue it minimised risk was falling on deaf ears, especially with her work at home there was an increased fire risk with kiln firing going on

I was helping out in York, during the floods of 2000. Three big houses on the banks of the river swamped by an overflow from a sewage plant upstream.
No's 1 and 3 were insured with us, we had teams in sucking water out, installing driers etc.
Mr No 2, saw me standing outside making notes, and strolled over, and in a typically blunt Yorkshire fashion asked-
"So, are you coming in to deal with me next?"
" Oh, sorry, are you with xxxxxx insurance company?"
" Don't be bloody daft lad, I haven't got home Insurance, it's a bloody rip off"

I think there was about 30k worth of damage to 'our' properties. Ouch!

.........twenty-minute reassuring telephone advice and said that, if it's not defined as an accident, my arse is covered on the contents bit of the home insurance.......
Not sure I understand that fully. Have you got the policy document ? If it was me, I'd be going though it, with an electron microscope if necessary, to establish how the insurance does cover this incident.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
My mate Mike was burgled
they broke a double glazed window and a small pane of glass in a back door
his old laptop was stolen
he notified the insurers, they wanted him to pay the first 80 pounds of each claim
I took the sealed unit out
replacement one 40 quid
pane of glass and putty in small panel
5 quid
replacement laptop 70 on local selling site
intruder alarm installed and some more external lighting
even though he did not claim the insurers wanted to put the policy up by 70 quid ??
then his car got nicked, I recovered it along with another stolen car, total cost of materials 100 quid to fix it, new locks, some secondhand parts and a cheap alarm
his premium went up by 120 pounds ?
if he had claimed he had to pay the first 300 pounds of the claim
24 year old Nissan Micra 500 quid tops
Christ Aldridge, you have been busy...

I renewed my house insurance Wednesday, £63 cheaper than the renewal quote from old company (for the same cover).
When I told the old Co I would not be using them this year, as I obtained a cheaper quote, they said, we will match your new price.

They didn't like it when I told them I objected to them overcharging me on the original renewal quote.
Robbing sods

That's the lazy punter algorithm in action. I have two battered old motors, I swap each between Aa and saga (over, 50,) each year to get new punter discount. Some years the offered quote is more than the cars value if you don't check.

Coincidentally I was talking to a chap this morning who had a fire in his house about a month ago.
The insurers are putting him and his family plus 4 dogs up and a company is repairing and cleaning the house and any salvageable furniture.
The insurers are in touch almost daily and the house is on the way to being in slightly better condition than before the fire.

Latest Threads