The USA invaded Pakistan.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Sep 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080903/ap_on_re_as/pakistan

Who would think that the USA is able to violate borders of independent state without comscent?

2. jeezuz just f*k off !

if this is the first time that you have become aware of cross border ops, then you are just ignorant and stupid!

3. Simply a response to the violation of Afghan territory by Pakistani nationals.

4. "Borders" does not apply, in the Western sense. The local inhabitants come and go as they please.
    The Pakistan government makes no pretence of ruling what it itself describes as the "Tribal Areas".

5. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

That worked both ways to be fair:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Storks_(Mujahideen)#History

Apparently the Pakistani SSG lads took on the 15th Spetsnaz Brigade.

6. Wind your fucking neck in, haven't your comrades just been on a small cross border op in Georgia?

7. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

I think he's trying establish parity. As if chasing a few insurgents cross-border in hot persuit is the same as overtaking a province in a neighbouring country.

8. Good link - and let's not overlook the fact that the PAF has consistently produced excellent pilots. This is not surprising as they come from the Punjabi elite which produces such great army officers. And the troops are just as good. The "PM" was the best soldier in the Indian army of the raj bar none. His descendants are just as good.

9. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

My granddad, rest his soul, served in a Coy of 'Punjabi Musselmans' during WW2 and he he rated them as the back bone of what was then the colonial Indian Army. But I guess he would naturally have been biased.

Interesting bit about the PAF pilots volunteering for the Yom Kippur War. Had no idea about that!

10. The important thing here is not that a border that has no meaninful existence on the ground is violated; it is that the Pakistani Govt has mentioned it and not in a good way.

I have long believed that the nature of the Durand Line and the Pushtun mean that either Pakistan or Afghanistan is viable in the long term; not both. More importantly, I reckon that's what many in the ruling regimes in Pakistan and Afghanistan believe. Karzai has been beating the drum to get NATO to unify his country for him, if we are unlucky we are seeing the start of the Pakistani backlash.

Coincidentally, the most credible path for Islamic extremists to get hold of nuclear weapons in the near future is to inherit them should Pakistan fall.

11. Pot, calling Kettle. Send colour sit-rep, over. :roll:

12. "yahoo, were the KGB get all their facts"

perhaps a more reputable source may have made your point more valid.

13. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Dear Sir,

I think it is appalling that borders should be crossed without proper authority.

The United Nations should build large fences on all borders, with death strips and armed guards and savage dogs, to stop these naughty people.

I M Berliner