The US to join the British Commonwealth as an Associate Member?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
They've already got the "Commonwealth of Massachusetts", so we might as well go the whole hog!

Not gonna happen
Probably not as a full member but seeing as they're letting South Sudan join, why not the USA as an Associate Member, particularly as we used to own the place?

Probably not as a full member but seeing as they're letting South Sudan join, why not the USA as an Associate Member, particularly as we used to own the place?
Would not make a difference what Trump wants, Congress is not going to align the USA to be subservient to the Crown. Its part of why the American Revolution was fought and war of 1812. NOT to owe fealty to ANY royalty. This isnt intended as disrespect (Hell I would love to have some rum with Phil and hear his war stories, and Liz is a classy Lady) its just who we are as Americans.

Its part of why the American Revolution was fought and war of 1812. NOT to owe fealty to ANY royalty. This isnt intended as disrespect its just who we are as Americans.
Indeed.
"The United States is the only country that refuses to dip its flag when passing the host country.
Let's back up. During the Opening Ceremonies, every nation’s team parades in behind one member who holds the country’s flag. In the stands sit the governing officials of the home country. As the team marches past this section, the flag-holder lowers the flag as a sign of respect. Every country does the dip, except the United States. The small move of respect has been a thorn in the sides of home countries since the U.S. first snubbed tradition at the 1908 London Games.
The story goes that the 1908 U.S. flag-holder and shotputter Ralph Rose kept the flag erect as an act of nationalism, proclaiming, "This flag dips to no earthly king.”

Indeed.
"The United States is the only country that refuses to dip its flag when passing the host country.
Let's back up. During the Opening Ceremonies, every nation’s team parades in behind one member who holds the country’s flag. In the stands sit the governing officials of the home country. As the team marches past this section, the flag-holder lowers the flag as a sign of respect. Every country does the dip, except the United States. The small move of respect has been a thorn in the sides of home countries since the U.S. first snubbed tradition at the 1908 London Games.
The story goes that the 1908 U.S. flag-holder and shotputter Ralph Rose kept the flag erect as an act of nationalism, proclaiming, "This flag dips to no earthly king.”
Americans, always the gentlemen eh?

Well they still have Royals but for some silly reason will not accept it and have some strang tradition of having a president.

Would not make a difference what Trump wants, Congress is not going to align the USA to be subservient to the Crown. Its part of why the American Revolution was fought and war of 1812. NOT to owe fealty to ANY royalty. This isnt intended as disrespect (Hell I would love to have some rum with Phil and hear his war stories, and Liz is a classy Lady) its just who we are as Americans.
That's not what the Commonwealth is, but I agree that it would be seen that way.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Sorry, not convinced.

We're your 'one that got away' - the one you fondly remenisce about on those lazy summer days and muse 'if only' to yourselves.

We're the only nation in the world who can effortlessly make you feel inferior. By rights, you should be able to buy us or bully us or both, but you can't and that is our fascination and you can't let go. Don't worry about it, we have this effect on all foreigners.

Of course you'll never be English, and nor should you expect to be, but being part of the Commonwealth is the next best thing...

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
They've already got the "Commonwealth of Massachusetts", so we might as well go the whole hog!
And Kentucky, Pennsylvania and Virginia

One thing about the Septics, they do keep their national symbols sacred.
I suppose that's because they don't have any royalty...
Post deleted because it got a like from Buggsy.

My sincere apologies to all right-minded people for any offence caused

Last edited:
As you couldn't have fought either of those wars without the French, it's just as well we were fighting the proper wars in Europe so you didn't owe your fealty to Napoleon.

Bow down before the one you serve colonial!

Latest Threads