The US of A has almost won in Iraq - Michael Yon

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by USMarineX, Sep 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It has been close, but the job is done, thank ****.

Remember, this was the chap who praised the Brits to high heaven, so he knows what he's saying. He's been on the ground 3 years now.

Sempi Fi USA.

http://hughhewitt.townhall.com/talkradio/transcripts/Transcript.aspx?ContentGuid=6a1c33a5-d461-4225-9095-4659b4f878dc

"In fact, I hate to make predictions too far in advance, but I would not doubt that we would see a very precipitous drop in violence over the next few months throughout Iraq as more and more people come to the table. You know, out in Diyala Province, 20 of the 25 major tribes just signed an agreement to work with the Coalition and the Iraqi Army, so that’s tremendous. I mean, we see people in Nineveh Province starting to rise up against al Qaeda. Everybody is coming to the realization, many people are coming to the realization that it’s time for a change. You know, we made some mistakes early on, and we learned from them. Our own military has just morphed in the last couple of years, and they work very well with most of the Iraqis now, and the Iraqis have learned how to work with us. Hugh, I just wouldn’t doubt it to see that in the future, Iraq is actually going to be a good ally of the United States."

"You know, when I was in Mosul in 2005, I spent about five months there in 2005, we had nearly 9,000 soldiers. Now, we have about 700, of which roughly 400 are actually fighters. So you see, they know that they’re winning. When they’re down…it’s still dangerous out there, but the ISF, the Iraqi Security Forces, have taken over a huge role, the leading role out there, and we’re seeing the same thing happen in like Anbar. I was just communicating with someone in Anbar just about thirty minutes ago, and it’s just peaceful in most places. There’s nothing going on except people getting on with their lives. And so in Diayala, Baquba, I saw the liberation. I was there for the big attack on June 19th. You know, the people were just ecstatic. I mean, they were pointing out al Qaeda, they were pointing out the IEDs and everything else, and we were just cleaning the map on al Qaeda."

"et me say one more thing about morale. It is still good, but we should not extend their terms, I can tell you that. But the Sunni and Shia? I’ve seen many military units, Iraqi units. I’ve brought it up to them many times. And they’re working side by side in most places. Now there are some areas that are problematic, but for the most part, they actually work and play well together. So you know, it’s not a problem. I’ve been out on many missions where it’s mixed units with Kurdish, Sunni, Shia. They’re all out there. "

It has been close, but the USA spirit of can-do and adaption has won the day, just as it did in 1918 and 1945 and 1991.

And up yours all those here who doubted my brethren and me.

[​IMG]

ROUTINE PATROL: Army Capt. Douglas Laxson (front) leads a patrol outside of Sadr City near Baghdad.

2. Light the blue touch paper & stand well clear ...

3. A hunter to another one: I catched a bear.
    - bring 'im here!
    - I try but he resists!

4. see below

5. I hope you are right. Only time will tell if our efforts have been successful.

As a Brit', I salute the US service people and their bravery. I am aware of the huge sacrifice made by these folks and their families, whatever the politics of the matter. God bless them all.

"Ours not to reason why .........."

6. He's probably right. Despite the two car bombs in Baghdad today, Al-Qaeda's Ramadan fightback has been a bust in most of the country, and their scared, as the attack on the reconsilience meeting in Baquba proved yesterday. 57% of Baghdad in secured, clearing ops in 30% continue, and the 13% that comprises Sadr city that has largly been left alone will most likely be the scene of a final showdown early next year. The situation in Basra is confused, but Yon's report will no doubt largely clear that up.

There can be no doubt that politically it won't be a deserved win, but it will be a win that a great many people will have to eat humble pie over.

7. God bless America.

8. Hope you're right.

It might help if you removed those very dark sunglasses. Eye contact goes a long way when trying to get on with the population ;) If you need 'shades' then get a lighter tint.

Just a thought.

9. Well, I just hope the guy is right. There has been too much loss of life. It would be great if Iraq got a prosperous peacefull future and the sooner the better.

10. Wish that I shared Yon's optimism. Al Quaeda might be hurting, but they're still able to hurt anyone that gets too close to the US. And still the surge hasn't peaked....

11. Very nice one indeed KGB. A large point made in a small common exchange. Is that Siberian wisdom then?
    We have the term 'Don't count your chickens before they are hatched'.

(P.S. It's ' I caught a bear' not 'catched a bear.')

12. You really need to read all Mike Yons work to appreciate what he's saying. There were points in his publication where he literally said all is lost if they don't do X.

He's a bit upbeat but he is not afraid to tell the bad with the good. If he truly thinks we're winning, and he's tied in at a fairly high level so he gets a bigger picture than the average grunt.

Just considering the MSM and the utter lack of bad news coming from Iraq should be telling alone.

13. Hope he is correct, i have lost a couple of good american friends in the sand pit.

14. Indeed. I'm fortunate to be able to call Mike a friend, and though I sometimes (very rarely) disagree with him, I know that he's speaking from the heart. He's never said that victory is inevitable, as its not, but he's pointed to the signs that indicate that it's possible.

I really hope he's right. So many Iraqis, Americans, Brits, and others have sacrificed their lives for this

15. Aaaaaannnnnnnnndddd Que Stonker!!