Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The US Navy and its uninvited guest...

smartascarrots said:
Of course they should. They should have stopped and boarded a fully armed SSN belonging to a sovereign nation in international waters.
It was Diesel-Electric boat rather than a nuclear one, which explains how it got so close. If they're just sitting there then there is nothing to make noise. They don't have the power to get anywhere though, so this one just got lucky that the American carrier group drove straight over it.

The Song class isn't all that capable either - it's a replacement for the Ming class, which is pretty much a modernised WW2 type XXI U-boat. Better than what they've had before, but nothing to write home about.

What the Chinese demonstrated (possibly) is that they now have sufficient C3I to get their boats in position so that the US CVs do run straight over them. As I said, the PLAN is becoming a proper navy, not just a collection of boats.

AndyPipkin said:
What the Chinese demonstrated (possibly) is that they now have sufficient C3I to get their boats in position so that the US CVs do run straight over them. As I said, the PLAN is becoming a proper navy, not just a collection of boats.

And when they are something resembling a modern navy, would you call the boats "ships"?

smartascarrots said:
In-Limbo said:
Should taken the opportunity to board it, search it, strip it down, and return it in boxes with a, "sooowy". Bit of a lack of initiative there :)

Of course they should. They should have stopped and boarded a fully armed SSN belonging to a sovereign nation in international waters. :roll:

A better idea - stop me if you've heard it - would have been to detect it before it could get in amongst their fleet.

Course they should. Precedence is to ram the fcuka it first.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=131075&page=1

Oopps, so sowwy, my bad ;)

[Edit] What's the martime rule for getting out of the way of the really big fcuka again?[/Edit]

In-Limbo said:
[Edit] What's the martime rule for getting out of the way of the really big fcuka again?[/Edit]

Do it quickly?

[state_the_bleedin'_obvious] Nobody in the Pentagon thinks getting hold of an Chinese boat worth committing an act of war. What scale of force could the US project in the SCS in defence of Taiwan in the unlikely event Beijing takes the opportunity as a causus belli?[/state_the_bleedin'_obvious]

smartascarrots said:
In-Limbo said:

Do it quickly?

[state_the_bleedin'_obvious] Nobody in the Pentagon thinks getting hold of an Chinese boat worth committing an act of war. What scale of force could the US project in the SCS in defence of Taiwan in the unlikely event Beijing takes the opportunity as a causus belli?[/state_the_bleedin'_obvious]

Somewhere between sweet fcuk all, and too fcukin much.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/carriers.htm

Litterally depends on how Outraged their CoC is feeling ;)

Outrage doesn't overcome the laws of physics. They'd have to get sufficient carriers in place to provide cover, first.

I've no doubt there's an extra one or two steaming around the neighbourhood since this incident, and they'll have been drilling their ASW crews senseless. But provoking a military response when so many of their assets are tied up supporting ops elsewhere? And the Persian Gulf still an unknown? They can't be everywhere at once and their priorities seem to be multiplying.

I'm betting the US will place the emphasis on securing resources (oil) in the ME above protecting ROC. Apart from a trading partner, what does US get out of Taipei? Oh, some expert (but highly partial) analysis of PRC decision-making.

pdf27 said:
smartascarrots said:
Of course they should. They should have stopped and boarded a fully armed SSN belonging to a sovereign nation in international waters.
It was Diesel-Electric boat rather than a nuclear one, which explains how it got so close. If they're just sitting there then there is nothing to make noise. They don't have the power to get anywhere though, so this one just got lucky that the American carrier group drove straight over it.
quote]

Hmmm... IMO, there's a lot to be said for diesel-electric boats. May not be able to circle the globe without surfacing; go safely under the ice packs etc, but modern types can go a fair distance! Very quiet; notoriously difficult to detect, and can go places the much larger SSNs cannot.