Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The US Navy and its uninvited guest...

haha, The silly Americans probably thought that no one would dare come near them so no one bothered to check security measures properly :)

Whoops indeed. So, now the Septics are going to spend more money on defensive measures and even higher-tech gadgets to spot chink subs . . . . and the Uk Gobment is grabbing some more money OUT of the MOD coffers . . .

Press Release: Faslane bosses have been shocked this morning to find 3 dozen Chinese submarines in it's base, docked, and apparently being worked on by British Naval personnel who figured that as they had all docked without anyone saying a word, they must be in for repair, except they couldn't couldn't help the Chinese Navy as the budgets had been cut back so much, and there were no tools.

big_bad_bill said:
How much do you want to bet that the Chinese Captain is now an Admiral?

...and is still suffering the mother and father of all hangovers after becoming the toast of the People's Navy!

Litotes

Litotes said:
big_bad_bill said:
How much do you want to bet that the Chinese Captain is now an Admiral?

...and is still suffering the mother and father of all hangovers after becoming the toast of the People's Navy!

Litotes

How much do you want to bet that the US have a 'recently-retired' Admiral, and a bunch of demoted Captains who are now furiously washing dishes in Dixieland.

Do you think, he was sent to probe the US defences then had the shock of his life when he got through? It must have been one of those 'shite, what do I do now' moments. Credit where credits due, I'd buy him a drink as well if I ever met him.

It also led to tense diplomatic exchanges, with shaken American diplomats demanding to know why the submarine was "shadowing" the U.S. fleet

Journalistic licence, perhaps. Not 'seeking clarification'? Not 'requesting an explanation'? But 'demanding to know'? I take it the USN will be banning its own vessels form following foreign ones in international waters, since they evidently find the practice so unacceptable?

Well, regardless of anything that took a fair pair of swingers from the sub-driver. Well done that man!

big_bad_bill said:
Do you think, he was sent to probe the US defences then had the shock of his life when he got through? It must have been one of those 'shite, what do I do now' moments. Credit where credits due, I'd buy him a drink as well if I ever met him.

I think he'll have been well briefed on what to do and when. I doubt this was an accident or one bloke taking a fleeting opportunity on his own initiative. That's not something PLA encourage their intermediate commanders to do in strategic matters.

This is indeed an old story, for some reason it's been brought to light again entirely coincidentally when the future of the Littoral Combat Ship is up for discussion in Congress.

Anyway, the Chinese have demonstrated that they now have an actual navy, rather than just a collection of ships. And they're about to commission 2 new SSBN's

Should taken the opportunity to board it, search it, strip it down, and return it in boxes with a, "sooowy". Bit of a lack of initiative there :)

In-Limbo said:
Should taken the opportunity to board it, search it, strip it down, and return it in boxes with a, "sooowy". Bit of a lack of initiative there :)

Of course they should. They should have stopped and boarded a fully armed SSN belonging to a sovereign nation in international waters. :roll:

A better idea - stop me if you've heard it - would have been to detect it before it could get in amongst their fleet.