The US Defense Budget inadquate?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by crabtastic, Apr 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. To actually put this into some sort of context:

US Defense budget is $440bn (plus about another $300bn in supplementals to pay for the war in Iraq, ops in Afghanistan, Homeland Security etc.- give or take). That is 47% of the world's military spending and a full 50% of US discretionary spending.

The US Dept of Education has asked for 1/8 of that amount ($54bn)
    The State Department has about $10bn to play with

Or, to put it another way- according to the World Bank:

• $19 billion is the annual shortfall to eliminate starvation and malnutrition globally.
    • $12 billion is the annual shortfall to provide education for every kid on earth.
    • $15 billion is the annual shortfall to provide access to water and sanitation.
    • $23 billion is the annual shortfall to reverse the spread of AIDS and Malaria.

Methinks Shoomaker needs to get a grip- and learn how to spell his name properly.
  2. Fcuking frightening. I had a quick look for myself and to be honest its difficult to comprehend. There is something wrong somewhere. The UN for example:

The United Nations and all its agencies and funds spend about $10 billion each year, or about $1.70 for each of the world’s inhabitants. This is a very small sum compared to most government budgets and it is just a tiny fraction of the world’s military spending. Yet for nearly two decades, the UN has faced a debilitating financial crisis and it has been forced to cut back on important programs in all areas. Many member states have not paid their full dues and have cut their donations to the UN’s voluntary funds. As of November 30, 2005, members arrears to the Regular Budget topped $695 million, of which the United States alone owed $587 million (84% of the regular budget).

— UN Financial Crisis, Global Policy Forum (as of February 2006)

Funnily enough found this quote on the same site:

Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is the parent of armies; from these proceed debts and taxes … known instruments for bringing the many under the domination of the few.… No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.

— James Madison, Political Observations, 1795
  3. but the UB is evil evil its planning to take our guns and make us all communits we need to spend more money on defence bomb iran bomb china bomb fance *ekk*
    Sorry I appear to be channeling a dreranged spam gun nut :twisted:
    nurse medication :roll:
  4. Perhaps if the US stopped medalling around in other countries on the other side of the globe to them, and looked inwards they'd see that the poor people in the US are pretty desperate. So how about spending less on defence and more on sorting their own problems out.

Come to think about it they should perhaps spend more on flood defence for New Orleans and educating the numpties (majority of the US) that keep voting for a complete lunatic.

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10.......................and breath!
  5. 3.9% of GDP is pretty low by postwar standards - it was 6-7% during the Cold War.
  6. Anyway, the US DoD need all that money to build a functioning Deathstar....

Screw the UN, they only blow their money on Toyota Landcruisers and learjets.
  7. I questioned this and was told that this is more related to the UN budget cycle not being concurrent with that of congress and that the USA does actually pay when congress has approved the budget.
  9. I don't see where the US tax payer needs to foot the bill for the world's starving, sick or provide an education for the world's children. Their own governments need to step up and meet the needs of their people rather than enriching themselves at the expense of their people.
  10. Part of me want's to agree with you tomakawk but as the global hegemonic power the US reaps benefits from other countries because of its position. Essentially, what's good for the world economy is good for the US, so spending a tiny fraction of US military expenditure towards trying to tackle the problems mentioned above (aids, malaria, education etc) should be considered as a long term investment. That is unless you believe in global distributive justice i.e. some people HAVE to be poor in order for some people to be rich so tough, you're just going to have to live with it (in which case you're a cu*nt).
  11. I agree to an extent but failure to address these issues has an impact on the US and EU in terms of illigal migration, the risk that countries will collapse and become fialed states which pose a much wider threat are good examples.
  12. Any argument which tries to hold up the UN as a paragon of virtue is fundamentally flawed, IMHO
  13. The US Defence Budget is too small taking into account the cost of Iraqi war.

14. If the Americans addressed many of the problems at the source the world would be screaming blue bloody murder .. it would mean wholesale replacement of corrupt govt's, the arrest of corrupt officials and politicians, invasion of nations to force what the US percieved to be better policies.

Given the reaction over Iraq I very much doubt anyone really wants the US to address these issues.
  15. Yeah but they needed the 90's drawdown and one of the biggest economic booms in history to pay off the deficits amassed by Reagan when the budget was 6-7%. America already has large deficits under Bush and in a few years the babyboomers are going to be retiring which means lots more domestic spending.