The Ups and Downs of owning a Furnished Holiday Let

I swear to god. I'm all, "Ooo my wee sleeps four is doing well." then in walks Ravers with his barn, cafe, pub, takeaway, other pub, goats, hotel, pub, guesthouse, pub and, eh, oh aye, pub.

Fucksake man. :D
Cockney Vs West coaster…. Sounds like you two should meet up for future opportunities

TamH70

MIA
lly ahy which I presume you're referring to things like, oooh, I dunno, bank robberies and drug trafficking? :D

Well, you should be forensically aware enough to get away with the first one, aye?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Thankfully not part of the NC500, still a good 30 miles or so south and I generally think that many people seem to push on straight through rather than short stop in Aviemore and surrounding areas. That and there are actually very few places for the motorhomes to park around here unless they're willing to actually pitch.

Thanks for the compliment! Hope all is well over yonder way and if you're ever back over here and fancy a break, give me a shout. I'll give you the number for the Premier Inn. :D

We used to pop down to Aviemore and stay at the Coylumbridge, but it got more and more expensive, then bought over and the quality went down but the prices went up.
It got to the stage where we could easily get a week in Spain for the cost of a long weekend in Aviemore.

I see the premier inn is only wanting £75 a night, breakfast not included, that's the cheapest I've seen a room in Aviemore for a decade!

We used to pop down to Aviemore and stay at the Coylumbridge, but it got more and more expensive, then bought over and the quality went down but the prices went up.
It got to the stage where we could easily get a week in Spain for the cost of a long weekend in Aviemore.

I see the premier inn is only wanting £75 a night, breakfast not included, that's the cheapest I've seen a room in Aviemore for a decade!
Which is odd, because hotel prices everywhere else are through the ceiling.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Coylumbridge is a frankly horrendous establishment and I wouldn't piss on it if it were on fire.

As optimistic as @wheelchairwarrier was about staycations, it won't last. We're pricing ourselves out of the market. Seven nights in peak summer is £1200 - £1500 for my place. That's set by Cottages. That's a disgrace. For that, me and the wife are all inclusive in Portugal in Alvor. Still, people pay it.

Thus week, all I've heard are English accents. I don't know if you lot see Aviemore as exciting foreign climbs and compare it to Austria etc. I can't figure out what draws your here for the money it asks for, though in fairness early December is usually very cheap.

Thus week, all I've heard are English accents. I don't know if you lot see Aviemore as exciting foreign climbs and compare it to Austria etc.
Possibly unintentional but I think that's part of it. A mate of mine likes winter climbing on ice and the opportunities for that are quite limited around the Aldershot area. While they can't get abroad for Alpine climbing Scotland is still an option.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Possibly unintentional but I think that's part of it. A mate of mine likes winter climbing on ice and the opportunities for that are quite limited around the Aldershot area. While they can't get abroad for Alpine climbing Scotland is still an option.

I was half awake on the couch, but I'll take that witty pun. Far better than anything I could do on purpose!

PFGEN

GCM
I was half awake on the couch, but I'll take that witty pun. Far better than anything I could do on purpose!

Scotland has some excellent ice climbing in a good winter. Some ascents are only possible when iced. Many use them as training for the more remote and exotic locations (Alps, Patagonia, etc.) where rescue when something goes wrong can be a long time coming. Maybe not that much in eastern Scotland though.

PFGEN

GCM

I suspect the Coylumbridge never recovered from the beating we gave it in the early eighties. They made the mistake of hosting the British ski championships. After a week of staying sober to be race fit we all went mental on the last night. Total carnage. They had a small band to play some gentile music after the dinner where I took a pork frisbee in the left lug'ole. The band got, oh, about half way through their first number before the shout of "Boat Race" went up. The band gave up and the bar probably made a killing and the staff were traumatised by the Roman orgy style shagging that was going on at the same time. The lass I tapped off from London with could drink like the best (suspicious in itself, check for knobage) and her sexual proclivities were encyclopaedic. Often wonder where she ended up but the memories are probably better. She was an amazing anchor for the boat race team.

I think they were asked to hold the FIS race afterparty but declined. Once was enough. We managed bans from most of the hotels. The Holiday Inn was the easiest to blag food and board. We'd book a room for two and move in six. I was surprised nobody worked out the why have we gone through 300 breakfasts yet only have 60 guests?

Latest Threads