The Ups and Downs of owning a Furnished Holiday Let

jmb3296

War Hero
IMHO its a H&S issue, when i had the owner out on suday we were sealing skirting boards to stop them getting in.
It had rained the night before and i pointed out a leak in the kitchen roof the reply 'its been like that for 4 years'should have been a giveaway i suppose tbh

I keep an eye out for wasps and wasp nests as I hate the yellow stripy gits.
My garden has been free of them all year, this evening they are everywhere, can’t find the nest.
They do tend to be problematic in late August early September as summer ends. We have wasp traps up at the apiary to try and protect the beehives.
Over the decades I have dealt with many wasp nests, decades ago I was using cymag. Fantastic stuff and too good, now banned
In my daft years I used petrol a few times, particularly for underground nests. Top tip don’t use it unless very stupid.
In more recent times I have used tins of “raid” available at any good supermarket and most bargain stores, circa £1.50 a tin.
Absolutely great stuff, wipes out nests and if they take exception to you stand a bit back, keep spraying and watch them not make it to you.
If it’s a paper nest, soak it in raid, walk away and all gone in an hour.
If in a roof space or underground, spray the entrance tunnel so they carry it in themselves. Don’t stunt and even though you probably need only half a tin for the average nest, don’t stint and go for overkill.
If you have an inaccessible nest at height, stuff it that’s a contractors job.

I must be on a different planet.
Before new visitors arrive we inspect the property and do a risk assessment, taking into account they will be on / passing through a farm, residing in woodland, in a wooden cabin , they may encounter wild life and possibly shooters wanting to shoot them ( the wildlife that is ) at certain times of the day /year.
And then when they arrive along with the welcome pack they get a toolbox talk.
OTT ? No one yet has been hurt by machinery,set fire to the woods or cabin ,bitten , maybe frightened by woodland creatures or been shot.......
So far.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
My garden has been free of them all year, this evening they are everywhere, can’t find the nest.
They do tend to be problematic in late August early September as summer ends. We have wasp traps up at the apiary to try and protect the beehives.
Over the decades I have dealt with many wasp nests, decades ago I was using cymag. Fantastic stuff and too good, now banned
In my daft years I used petrol a few times, particularly for underground nests. Top tip don’t use it unless very stupid.
In more recent times I have used tins of “raid” available at any good supermarket and most bargain stores, circa £1.50 a tin.
Absolutely great stuff, wipes out nests and if they take exception to you stand a bit back, keep spraying and watch them not make it to you.
If in a roof space or underground, spray the entrance tunnel so they carry it in themselves. Don’t stunt and even though you probably need only half a tin for the average nest, don’t stint and go for overkill.

Rather than use noxious chemicals, if one gets in at work, we use alcohol disinfectant spray.
Spray a mist near offending beastie, watch it fall to ground intoxicated, stamp on it, and continue working.

If you have an inaccessible nest at height, stuff it that’s a contractors
Rather than use noxious chemicals, if one gets in at work, we use alcohol disinfectant spray.
Spray a mist near offending beastie, watch it fall to ground intoxicated, stamp on it, and continue working.
Iirc most NA are besed on german insectasides from the WW2 era

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I must be on a different planet.
Before new visitors arrive we inspect the property and do a risk assessment, taking into account they will be on / passing through a farm, residing in woodland, in a wooden cabin , they may encounter wild life and possibly shooters wanting to shoot them ( the wildlife that is ) at certain times of the day /year.
And then when they arrive along with the welcome pack they get a toolbox talk.
OTT ? No one yet has been hurt by machinery,set fire to the woods or cabin ,bitten , maybe frightened by woodland creatures or been shot.......
So far.

This incident happened a few years ago up here

This incident happened a few years ago up here
The Dr seems to have recovered from the incident. From a BBC article:

Despite being "millimetres from death" and initially unable to walk, talk, eat or drink, she has since recovered and is back at work where she runs a hi-tech print company.
"I'm pretty much 100% better. But then the press trampled all over my private life and that can't be undone," she said. "100% my motive is to just help reduce the chances of this happening to someone else."

I've used that method quite a few times. The secret is don't try to set it alight! Wait until dark, when they've returned for the night, and have a grass sod to block the entrance. Pour petrol into entrance, cover and leave. The fumes kill them, no need to set the byke on fire.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The Dr seems to have recovered from the incident. From a BBC article:

Despite being "millimetres from death" and initially unable to walk, talk, eat or drink, she has since recovered and is back at work where she runs a hi-tech print company.
"I'm pretty much 100% better. But then the press trampled all over my private life and that can't be undone," she said. "100% my motive is to just help reduce the chances of this happening to someone else."

She was extremely lucky. Stag had gone down path at side of the house, trapped in back garden.
They arrived back from pub, investigated noise in garden, stag rushed past and ripped out her throat in passing. A fluke accident. Had to be immobilized to prevent further damage and allow healing.
Unfortunately, as alluded to in your post, several papers made more of an aspect of her private life than the accident itself.

However we do occasionally get folk hurt by deer (other than RTAs) usually stag trapped by antlers in a bush or thickett, someone goes to free them and gets gored.

She was extremely lucky. Stag had gone down path at side of the house, trapped in back garden.
They arrived back from pub, investigated noise in garden, stag rushed past and ripped out her throat in passing. A fluke accident. Had to be immobilized to prevent further damage and allow healing.
Unfortunately, as alluded to in your post, several papers made more of an aspect of her private life than the accident itself.

However we do occasionally get folk hurt by deer (other than RTAs) usually stag trapped by antlers in a bush or thickett, someone goes to free them and gets gored.
There's no real preparation for that unless you know to expect deer or see their foot prints in the snow (as you said, it was dark). It's quite something to encounter a red deer stag in a forest. Magnificent creatures. A deep roar says "I'm here, don't even think about turning in to this firebreak".

Chef

LE
Raid also make a persistent spray for cockroaches and similar ground based bugs which is very effective.

Top tip, always read the label as it makes a lousy furniture polish. Oops.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Raid also make a persistent spray for cockroaches and similar ground based bugs which is very effective.

Top tip, always read the label as it makes a lousy furniture polish. Oops.
16298053164502042935402629650312.jpg

I didn't realise that I had to remind Mrs F to be careful with nail polish remover pads but when I did it was too late

Chef

LE
I was ok with the Raid, after a few minutes of polishing and getting no shine I swapped for polish and no damage done.

When I was a tiny tot all shiny surfaces were treated with respect, mats and coasters being de rigueur, Lest water marks and scratches marred the table top.

Have we all got used to modern shiny surfaces being relatively impervious to damage?

Aphra

Old-Salt
Another vote for Raid here. I'm allergic to both bee and wasp stings and although I have the requisite EpiPen, prevention is far better than cure. I always try to encourage bees out of the window but wasps are legitimate targets IMHO so Raid it is. Try not to breathe it in, though, it's horrible stuff.

Latest Threads