The Ups and Downs of owning a Furnished Holiday Let

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
That has been a problem for our small holiday let this year. Apart from a small porch, there is no storage space for early arrivals' luggage; we had one group get quite shirty with our cleaner when she turned up at 11 and they were still in bed (they are meant to vacate by 10). The place was also a tip. We have discussed with our letting agent of imposing a late check-out fee, but in practice it is difficult to implement.

ETA: The loss of the tax advantages of FHL (ie able to offset losses against other income) has taken the gloss off FHL as a decent income stream.

One of my nurses has a sideline as a cleaner doing handovers.

Your comments are reflected by what she often says.

Last week, they had a guest who tested positive for covid.
They were told that they had to leave immediately but refused, said that they would leave next day.
Was afternoon before they did and nurse took many hours to decontaminate every surface

That has been a problem for our small holiday let this year. Apart from a small porch, there is no storage space for early arrivals' luggage; we had one group get quite shirty with our cleaner when she turned up at 11 and they were still in bed (they are meant to vacate by 10). The place was also a tip. We have discussed with our letting agent of imposing a late check-out fee, but in practice it is difficult to implement.

ETA: The loss of the tax advantages of FHL (ie able to offset losses against other income) has taken the gloss off FHL as a decent income stream.
We now leave a day between bookings, we're just slower these days and a proper clean and a precautionary decon . Fingers crossed so far its worked ok for us apart for one group arriving a day early we managed to accommodate them at the end of the day.

Nobody

RIP
RIP
Everytime I've booked a holiday cottage Ive always used sykes.
Last one was in the lakes 3 years ago. There was torrential rain and the basement that had been converted into a cinema / games room flooded.
We spent the first few days bailing out water and trying to protect electrics etc.
The owners phoned us and were heartbroken. People turned up with dehumidifiers etc etc.

I really felt for the owners and it never occurred to me to seek compensation.

We just didnt have use of the basement gaming room for the rest of the week.

I signed their visitors book and gave a good review.
I honestly gained a small amount of comfort thinking that - other people would have 'kicked off' and demanded compensation etc.
I pride myself on being a c*nt but - only where cuntery is required.

Will try to find the phots I took and update

Hi one for the owners?,
Would you have been happy to let your cottage this (hot week) with 3 thats 3, very active wasp nests all next to bedroom windows,
Would you have at least informed the guests before they came in case of a member of the group being at risk(AS).
Can anyone explain why you would treat 1 nest and not all 3 at once,
After basically causing fuss yesterday someone is coming tomorrow to kill 1 of the other nests i will demand both are done.
Think the OH and children will be out tomorrow, there may well be a frank and honest exchange of views,

Nobody

RIP
RIP
Hi one for the owners?,
Would you have been happy to let your cottage this (hot week) with 3 thats 3, very active wasp nests all next to bedroom windows,
Would you have at least informed the guests before they came in case of a member of the group being at risk(AS).
Can anyone explain why you would treat 1 nest and not all 3 at once,
After basically causing fuss yesterday someone is coming tomorrow to kill 1 of the other nests i will demand both are done.
Think the OH and children will be out tomorrow, there may well be a frank and honest exchange of views,
i'm not an 'owner' but - and I might be going out on a limb here so correct me if wrong but; I reckon ... that you are not given to receiving advice or... receptive to gaining an appreciation of a sitiation other than what you have already decided upon.

Were I rich enough to owna cottage and have it out for rent I'd be bloody sure to avoid any custom from your sort.

You sound like a right self-important knob.

Feckoff to mum*et.
We can do without your sort here. and- you'd probably be better suited there.

Nobody

RIP
RIP
There.

That bloody told him.

The cock.

Everytime I've booked a holiday cottage Ive always used sykes.
Last one was in the lakes 3 years ago. There was torrential rain and the basement that had been converted into a cinema / games room flooded.
We spent the first few days bailing out water and trying to protect electrics etc.
The owners phoned us and were heartbroken. People turned up with dehumidifiers etc etc.

I really felt for the owners and it never occurred to me to seek compensation.

We just didnt have use of the basement gaming room for the rest of the week.

I signed their visitors book and gave a good review.
I honestly gained a small amount of comfort thinking that - other people would have 'kicked off' and demanded compensation etc.
I pride myself on being a c*nt but - only where cuntery is required.

Will try to find the phots I took and update
The guests we've had have been good so far (apart from the lot that were slow to move out). We looked at Sykes but their rates are high - they've been bought by a VC company and being aggregated with other agencies, probably to be floated on the Stock exchange.

Nobody

RIP
RIP
The guests we've had have been good so far (apart from the lot that were slow to move out). We looked at Sykes but their rates are high - they've been bought by a VC company and being aggregated with other agencies, probably to be floated on the Stock exchange.
Gen question... is it actually worthwhile monitarily?

Is it worth the hassle?

i'm not an 'owner' but - and I might be going out on a limb here so correct me if wrong but; I reckon ... that you are not given to receiving advice or... receptive to gaining an appreciation of a sitiation other than what you have already decided upon.

Were I rich enough to owna cottage and have it out for rent I'd be bloody sure to avoid any custom from your sort.

Feckoff to mum*et.
When i need the advice of a cockwomble i'll PM you for your valued input, if i owned a holiday let i would make sure it was safe and fit for use.
Thankfully as far as we know no one in our party is going to have a bad reaction to a sting.thats not to say next weeks guests do not.
Not dealing with the promblem is lazy or being cheap end of

Nobody

RIP
RIP
When i need the advice of a cockwomble i'll PM you for your valued input, if i owned a holiday let i would make sure it was safe and fit for use.
Thankfully as far as we know no one in our party is going to have a bad reaction to a sting.thats not to say next weeks guests do not.
Not dealing with the promblem is lazy or being cheap end of
you don't need to request my advice...

I offer this for free.
Top marks for spotting a buzzword to use though. "Cockwomble|".
Very good.
How about you retromingent hoofwanking spanglecunt have a good look around you and.. wind your neck in.

Your move...

;)

you don't need to request my advice...

I offer this for free.
Top marks for spotting a buzzword to use though. "Cockwomble|".
Very good.
How about you retromingent hoofwanking spanglecunt have a good look around you and.. wind your neck in.

Your move...

;)
i know my limits.
night night

Nobody knows everything. Daevid Allen had a Gong.
1629749813264.png

Rab_C

LE

Feckoff to mum*et.
I think you may have gone off half cocked. He just seemed to be asking if landlords would sort out the issue of wasps nests in a professional manner. Seemed like a fair question to me.

I think you may have gone off half cocked. He just seemed to be asking if landlords would sort out t

he issue of wasps nests in a professional manner. Seemed like a fair question to me.
As an owner, if I was aware of any wasps' nest near bedrooms, I would definitely take action to remove them.
You could argue that a country cottage could expect to have the occasional country problem - but the same problem could occur in a town.
Holiday cottage guests can be demanding, but owners should make every effort to deal with obvious problems.

Rab_C

LE
As an owner, if I was aware of any wasps' nest near bedrooms, I would definitely take action to remove them.
You could argue that a country cottage could expect to have the occasional country problem - but the same problem could occur in a town.
Holiday cottage guests can be demanding, but owners should make every effort to deal with obvious problems.
Having been a landlord, my fairly basic attitude was “if I wouldn’t live with it then why should a tenant?” I do realise that some renters want the Hollywood experience for the Bollywood price and I would normally give these guys a good ignoring.

Having been a landlord, my fairly basic attitude was “if I wouldn’t live with it then why should a tenant?” I do realise that some renters want the Hollywood experience for the Bollywood price and I would normally give these guys a good ignoring.
IMHO its a H&S issue, when i had the owner out on suday we were sealing skirting boards to stop them getting in.
It had rained the night before and i pointed out a leak in the kitchen roof the reply 'its been like that for 4 years'should have been a giveaway i suppose tbh

Latest Threads