The Ups and Downs of owning a Furnished Holiday Let

How hard can it be to rig up a few festoon lights?
1572156377333.png

I mean you can even do it for a Company Smoker when pretty much everyone is on the pop.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Since the beginning we‘ve always been hassled by necky journos, bloggers and what not.

If they have a big enough following or write for a reputable publication, we’ll always do our best to butter them up a bit with a free stay and scran. Over the years it’s worked wonders, we‘re regularly featured in all the broadsheets, plus a few of the rags as well.

Because journalists are lazy, they also recycle old articles. So chucking someone a free weekend, could potentially earn you 10 plus articles over the course of a few years. When you see those Times Magazine articles with “Our 10 best hotels for families“ or “Britain’s best boutique hotels“ it’s just the same articles cut and pasted over and over again.

Anyway, from time to time we’ll get some complete chancer who has a travel blog with 12 followers and has written one article for the Rutland Chronicle. You can always tell because they’re the ones who demand the most free shit. Fiona Duncan from the Telegraph doesn’t need to ask for dinner because she knows she’ll get it.

So imagine the hilarity this morning when we had some bloke asking for a 3 night stay, with meals, in the summer holidays, for him, his missus, 3 kids and his mother in law.

No thanks mate, I’m not sure the readers of Air Gambia in flight magazine would be that interested in our place anyway.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Had an interesting one this weekend.

Youngish wealthy couple came to stay. Didn‘t get up until gone 12 every day. Rude to staff, probably doing a lot of cocaine.

Asked reception to book them a taxi to “go and see a lake”. When asked which lake they replied “I don’t give a fuck, whichever is the best one.”

They were supposed to check out at 11 on the Sunday, but were still here at 3pm, having massively not got their shit together after another heavy night.

While they were hanging around, the receptionist (who happens to be my younger sister), walked in on them fucking in one of the lounges, over what was my father in law‘s desk.

Classy.

Pretty good drills to be honest. Not sure I’d have the balls to smash a bird at 3pm in a public room of a hotel.

Had an interesting one this weekend.

Youngish wealthy couple came to stay. Didn‘t get up until gone 12 every day. Rude to staff, probably doing a lot of cocaine.

Asked reception to book them a taxi to “go and see a lake”. When asked which lake they replied “I don’t give a ****, whichever is the best one.”

They were supposed to check out at 11 on the Sunday, but were still here at 3pm, having massively not got their shit together after another heavy night.

While they were hanging around, the receptionist (who happens to be my younger sister), walked in on them ******* in one of the lounges, over what was my father in law‘s desk.

Classy.

Pretty good drills to be honest. Not sure I’d have the balls to smash a bird at 3pm in a public room of a hotel.
the mans an utter cad,

Blaggers!

Doesn't just happen in the hospitality industry. Some years ago we were informed that we would have to provide 5 days FREE engineering consultancy to a company just to get on the final selection list for a piece of work. As the total job was about 40 days, this was basically our entire profit on the job. we'd already spent 2 man days work preparing a presentation and various other documentation just to get to see the company.

We told them to FRO and walked.

Might have been understandable, but this was, and still is, a large multi-national company making many millions in profits and we are a small engineering consultancy.

Latest Threads