The unpensionables - fight for your future, tranche 3 & 4 are coming

Discussion in 'Strategic Defence & Spending Review (SDSR)' started by TheLittleMan, Jul 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fellow Arrse users,

I posted this in the Current Affairs forum but I think it may have been misplaced, it should have started life in here. Anyway, I digress...

Some of you will be aware that there is a small cohort of soldiers and officers who have been made redundant a short period prior to their Immediate Pension Point, thus not qualifying for their monthly pension. While they recieve a lump sum for severance, this is but a small value of what they have earned over the years and will not stretch very far in todays world. Why should you be interested in this? For the simple reason that if the MoD can pull this coup d'etat off with no friction or kick back from the masses of regular and TA service men and woman, it will see the green light to continue this policy for Tranche 3 & 4 (policy has been run out, proven and vindicated). There has been no parity between tri-service policy. The Navy and RAF sensibly ring fenced any individual who was within a year of their Immediate Pension Point (IPP) whereas the Army went for the policy of ring fencing those close to their Expected Departure Date (EDD) which is the end of contract; often after and not at the same time as IPP. While I understand that the Army has considerably more people to make redundant and therefore policy can't always be constant, the Govt and MoD should have looked at this in conjunction with the military covenenat and perhaps a better accountant. It is cheaper in the long run to let these individuals run out naturally or volunteer for redundancy once IPP is reached (all within the timelines of Army 2020) and puts more cash back in the Army coffers (not pension money so can be re-invested).

So I ask that you please support our troops by reading the e-petition below and then going to the link provided to sign it; then if you think it is a good cause, share it with your friends. We need to reach 100,000 signatures to get traction and get the pension issue debated in the House of Commons. It is a fitting debate given the circumstances the Army is now in. For me, having been made redundant (and happy to accept this), this is not just a personal issue but a moral one that will face a great many soldiers come the 3rd and 4th tranches. While redundancies are inevitable and aposite in places, the compensation or route out of the service does not reflect the covenant that was agreed originally, or the job offer and acceptance. The fight here is not just for personal gain but for that of those who will face this stark reality. Some will not have a voice or rank loud enough to be heard in the future.

We have got over 4000 signatures in a week....thank you everyone so far! If you all decide to push this onto your colleagues and friends then the response could be overwhelming. Please do so. It was not easy getting permission for this petition to go live, please don't let it be a waste of effort.

Pension Justice for Troops - e-petitions

Pension Justice for Troops

Responsible department: Ministry of Defence

On 12 June 2012, the MoD announced the redundancies of over three thousand service personnel. Of this figure a number were within twelve months of their immediate pension point.

These redundancies do not honour the original employment contract or covenant between soldier and the MoD. These men and women have all faithfully served in Her Majesty’s Armed Forces and repeatedly risked their lives on different tours of duty, with the expectation that, when they completed their period of service, they would be eligible for a pension on which to build a new life for themselves and their families. Given future planned redundancies in the forces this issue is likely to affect many more service personnel.

We call on the Government to urgently review these cases to ensure natural justice and provide the opportunity for all affected personnel to serve the extra year, or less, to reach their immediate pension point as set out in their original contracts of employment.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Signed...

3. Signed...

4. Signed; good luck.

5. Seems like raiding pensions is all the vogue in Whitehall

6. phil245

phil245 LE Book Reviewer

signed, Good Luck with the petition.

7. Signed
    Best of luck. It is a disgrace that Army personnel be treated in this way before retiring.

8. When you posted this in CA you were informed that those within 4 years of their IPP on discharge through redundancy will receive an immediate pension, as well as a nice fat redundancy pay off.

Secondly, the Army never asked or expected anyone to serve to 22 years, there is no contract for 22 years if there was soldiers would be beholden for 22 years.

So let's get the facts right.

As far as redundancy packages go, you can't get much better than this.

The OP has deceived people on this thread.

9. I must admit that my memory is hazy but I seem to remember back in the 80' a 22 year contract but there again I forget to do my flies up as well so who knows

The OP isn't the only one that thinks there is a stink on Soldiers sacked days before pension date - Telegraph

I've signed

10. Dingerr, you are not accurate in your assertion. Soldiers who have done 18 years reckon able service (ie within 4 years of IPP) get a pension.

Officers within one day of 16 year point get nothing more than redundancy pay out and preserved rights at 65.

So, failing to complete engagement, through redundancy costs 12000 a year for next 28 years. Pretty rough. Particularly for officers commissioned before 21 years old, as their service up to 21 does not count.

11. Signed..

12. Same as a non-Officer being made redundant 1 day before their 18 year point. Worse for ex-brats as service before 18 doesn't count on AFPS 75.