The universe is a simulation apparently

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Tricky1982, Oct 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'd probably question the validity of some of their points but it certainly is a fascinating article.

2. They made a simulation of the universe....and it sort of looks like us. Thats their basis for this matrix theorem. What do they expect a simulation to be like? Something totally different?

3. And God said: ‘Lines Aleph Zero to Aleph One – Delete.’
    And the Universe ceased to exist.

Then she pondered for several aeons, and sighed.
    ‘Cancel programme GENESIS,’ She ordered.
    It never had existed.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Aye, the computer is surely only going to come out with something that is relevant to the information they put into it surely.

Most likely another of those pointlessly invalid science experiments. Still, makes for good article reading I guess

5. Interesting story. You couldn't make it up.

6. It's back to the "I think therefore I am" argument. Our Universe is obviously made up - by us.

7. 307

307 War Hero

Right, from that I drew that we are in a massive version of The Sims?

8. It's an interesting thought really. Quite a few different scientific and other studies have shown that our understanding and perception of who, and what we actually are, isn't always what we expect. Using the many worlds hypothesis, there can be many more versions of 'you' in a multi-verse, so just because you think you are the definitive version, how can you possibly know for certain?

There are quite a few Horizon episodes knocking about Youtube that, in one way or another, make allusions to this.

9. Trouble with this sort of stuff is that you end up cross-eyed and whimpering in a corner; me, I'll stick to sex and booze while I can still get any of either.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Meanwhile,

Physicists May Not Have Evidence Universe Is A Computer Simulation

Well done physicists, any news on the Higgs Bosun particle yet?

Well don't let me hold you up, theres a whole (simulated) universe full of pointless questions you need to be directing your huge einstein-like intellects towards.

Penises

11. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Pass me the red pill, lads.

12. I believe they have discovered the Higgs recently

13. Well almost, they think they may have.
    What is it with 21st century scientists. Did Archimedes leap out of the tub exclaiming "Eureka, I may have found it!"

Penises

14. It's a theory. And as such it is as good a theory as any other that tries to explain what our universe is doing here.

That said, it remains just a theory, like all the others, until someone from the astrophysics community actually comes up with some proof that is isn't just a theory and is scientific fact. I'm not too sure that will be any time soon. Let's just hope if it can be provable, someone does it before whoever/whatever is running the simulation gets bored and switches it off.