The Universal Carrier

Mankind has a history of learning from past mistakes to avoid repeating them. What then are the lessons learned from Scott's fatal decision to use tractors instead of dogs in his quest for the South Pole? Evidently not so much that you can eat dogs when they break down but rather that it's important that you have a reliable tractor, people who can fix it and an efficient logistics train.

Just a lateral musing...
Mankind maybe, but not MoD kind or British Army kind....................

@putteesinmyhands and @4T thank you for that.

I didn't realise that the steering by track braking, was such an "ON : OFF" system.

I had thought that there would be the ability to gently "feather" the track brakes.
Before I had my halftrack I had a Ford T16 carrier. It has two sets of steering levers. One set was for differential braking via brake bands that were tightened by application via the leavers. The other set was for operating the brakes in the hubs. This allowed for more aggressive steering when manoeuvring in tight areas.

Came across this on the TFB site with what looks to be a Carrier with a roof and a Stuart style turret mounted on it. Its at the El Alamein museum in Egypt, so I wonder if it was a WWII mod or a later Egyptian one that made it back into the museum. Came across a few carriers with different guns mounted but none roofed with a turret.
Found more pics of the same wagon here, with it listed as a carrier with a Stuart turret
Universal Carrier

El-Alamein Military Museum; Memories of WW2 Desert War - The Firearm Blog

Great pics on that site. Loved this one. Not sure why you would want to mount 14(?) PIAT's on the back of a carrier though.

View attachment 358279
There's been some discussion of that question on the PIAT thread. It seems to have been an experiment carried out by the Canadians in Holland, late '44, to create a device capable of delivering a mortar - like barrage of PIAT rounds, to cover canal crossings. That's not the cast iron answer as firm info seems thin on the ground.

Latest Threads