The Unit

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Tango34_UK, Oct 21, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After the British failed to make "Ultimate Force" work, the US now have a version about "Delta Force" http://www.cbs.com/primetime/the_unit/

Have any other members seen it? What do they feel? It is available to sky customers, or I belive via some "torrent" type sites..... :)

2. Think there was a thread on here somewhere about this already. Caught a couple of episodes on FX channel over the last couple of weeks. To be honest, its not up to much.

Based on this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0552150223/?tag=armrumser-21

The stories are pretty contrived and its much like any other US import. On the plus side it has Dennis Haysbert who was el presidente in 24. Stick to that programme

3. Got it here in Denmark.

It's as gritty and realistic as the A-Team, but is unfortunately let down by not having any characters which are in Howlin' Mad Murdoch's league.

All in all D-

4. I think it is like Soldier Soldier meets Ultimate Farce.

(I would give it a wide berth if I was you!)

5. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

CSM Haney, who wrote the book, that the program the "Unit" was supposedly, based on, has been severely criticized by many of his former CAG or Delta Force comrades and the Special Forces community.

The program, is some what entertaining; however, to those who have BTDT it is more of a comedy. Perhaps, the member here who compared it to the old "A" team is closer to the truth of the matter. ;)

6. Watched an episode earlier in the year when in the States. Utter cr@p. Mind youthe episode I saw, the boss (Robert Patrick) Nobbed one of his lads wives, which must be really good for team camerarderie. She had MAJOR league yabbo's though.

7. Hey nothing wrong with Soldier Soldier! 8)

8. I've heard good things about it... in the press. Unofficially, I've never watched it and don't plan to. If I want to watch an Army show I'll watch MASH or Band of Brothers.

9. That's very true but it's interesting to note that the criticism only seems to have started after Mr Haney critisized the war in Iraq.

10. At least you can laugh at Ultimate Farce, Henno "The fattest Sgt in the SAS" is always a pearler..... Saw the Unit was not impressed, reminds me of Desperate Housewives with guns....................

11. Hahhahahahaa. Yes it does. Or possibly over there with even more chick content.

Started watching it, lost interest , it reminds me of that Vietnam series wuth Zev Braun,

12. That was 'Suburban Shootout" surely - which did have some quite amusing bits

13. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Perhaps; however the major criticisms made by his former supervisors and fellow CAG soldiers were not about that war. He made some false claims and disclosed somethings, that other unit members felt shouldn't have been disclosed.

BTW: CSM Haney, was never a fully qualified Special Forces soldier. He never served in a Special Forces Group.

14. Are you familiar with the Anti Terrorist Assistance Program run in Baton Rouge? I have several instructors from the program as customers (I do remodeling and home maintenance). I asked some their opinions as they were former Delta operators and the consensus seems to be that he took credit in his book for someone elses exploits. Mind you, these were minor matters known only within Delta and not SOCOM at large. I really have to wonder why SOCOM would get in on the act.

PS, Senor Haney never claimed SF status (nor did anyone else for that matter).

15. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Sawdusty:

"PS, Senor Haney never claimed SF status (nor did anyone else for that matter). "

That wasn't my point. I was just pointing out that he never served in a Special Forces Group. The majority of CAG people, do come frome SF Groups and return to them, when they leave. CSM Haney chose to go back to a 'leg' unit. :roll: